Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cold, cold, blooded.... (Read 190 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Cold, cold, blooded....
Reply #15 - 03/11/17 at 19:01:53

Raydawg ,What you consider warm ,your motor may not.How long a ride from your house to the ferry? If it's under 30 mins. your engine hasn't come to temperature yet ,longer if it's colder out. It takes at least 30 mins. for the engine oil to come up to operating temp even on warm days ,and could be twice that in the temps your riding in. Asking your bike to start after sitting outside on the ferry ,(while your inside sucking up some heat) without using the choke boarders on cruel and unusual punishment.  Sad

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/11/17 at 19:47:42

verslagen1 wrote on 03/11/17 at 12:24:12:
Now that you mention witches ferries and thingies all in the same post... I can see where you could be confused.   Grin

My worst case of sea sickness... during a hurricane on a cruse ship rounding nova scotia... even the captain was sick.

My worst sea sickness:  Gulf Stream fishing off South Carolina

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #17 - 03/11/17 at 20:38:09

If you are getting good money or lots of job satisfaction, preferably both, by all means stay on. If you aren't and economic necessity doesn't compel you to stay, get out.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #18 - 03/12/17 at 08:31:00

jcstokes wrote on 03/11/17 at 20:38:09:
If you are getting good money or lots of job satisfaction, preferably both, by all means stay on. If you aren't and economic necessity doesn't compel you to stay, get out.

Yes, the money is good, the benefits outstanding. The medical, tho haven risen as deductibles go, is a peace of mind.
I started riding to be able to save time commuting, and it opened up another world to me.
I have talked to folks who retired, and it seems they fall into 3 distinct categories.....
#1. Bored and broke.
#2. Busy and frugal.
#3. Rich and bored.

Most report they really didn't understand what was involved, how they would really live, in this new stage of their lives.
As with any endeavor, how you prepare, can make all the difference.
Most report they really didn't grasp the inability to NOT be able to earn more money, at the same level of income, if needed.
You live longer, that money becomes less.

I currently withold 30% of my earnings in a pretax investment.
Another 10% in after tax Roth, so I am fortunate to be able to stash away about 50 grand a year, on my own, the company matches 16% of that as well.
One more year seems a no brainer, I get to ride for another year, can always walk if needed, can die and leave the wife and kids a little better off....
HECK, I am one lucky SOB  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #19 - 03/12/17 at 09:06:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/11/17 at 12:42:21:
...or showering with a tire.

I had to share! Thanks JOG!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #20 - 03/12/17 at 12:26:42

OK, did the sea foam, gave the idle a twist and adjusted the clutch, which, now that it is moving the plate as it should, I think that was playing a part....
I normally shift to neutral to start, but not always, and I remember at times I could feel a slight lunge when I hit the starter.
So we'll see if that clears the witch and teets from my next ferry ride  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 03/12/17 at 13:46:49

The modern E10 fuel is really made for fuel injected engines....it does run in engines with carbs.  Ethanol does not vaporize as easily as gasoline, and it needs a warm engine to burn (ever notice how the folks that use it at the drag strip need to squirt gasoline down the intake to get the engine to start?).

It could be the cold nature is partly the E10's fault.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #22 - 03/12/17 at 14:52:24

Dave wrote on 03/12/17 at 13:46:49:
The modern E10 fuel is really made for fuel injected engines....it does run in engines with carbs.  Ethanol does not vaporize as easily as gasoline, and it needs a warm engine to burn (ever notice how the folks that use it at the drag strip need to squirt gasoline down the intake to get the engine to start?).

You know Dave I was thinking the very thing....
Thought I might try a hotter plug, but thought against that, as that could damage the piston head over time if it hits the same spot, yes?

I know on my outboards,  2 strokes, a wider gap is the norm, as I guess it gives a better, or more to point, bigger combustion, as it jumps the gap...
Yes?
Remember, it has oil in the fire, which fouls cold plugs quickly, I think  Huh

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/12/17 at 20:41:50

raydawg wrote on 03/12/17 at 14:52:24:
Dave wrote on 03/12/17 at 13:46:49:

You know Dave I was thinking the very thing....
Thought I might try a hotter plug, but thought against that, as that could damage the piston head over time if it hits the same spot, yes?

I know on my outboards,  2 strokes, a wider gap is the norm, as I guess it gives a better, or more to point, bigger combustion, as it jumps the gap...
Yes?
Remember, it has oil in the fire, which fouls cold plugs quickly, I think  Huh

I raised my needle.  Now the engine is 'warm blooded'!  I haven't checked the mpg yet.

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/13/17 at 09:47:31

I guess I wasn't clear RayDawg. I also live in PNW, Gig Harbor. It has been a "normal" winter here, not like the last few too-warm/dry years. Some days, it just stays on half choke and runs fine. Remember, the wind whistling through the car decks on the ferries act as cooling wind, (especially that record setting run from Bremerton to Seattle!) and it will cool quickly if not running. If your bike has stock muffler, jets and airbox, half choke works well.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #25 - 03/13/17 at 14:41:44

Hey Dan....
ran good today, I could touch the jug with a bare hand after she sit on the ferry ride.
Guess I forgot....
Just a little choke, get her rolling, and I am good.
I think my clutch was part of the problem too, shifts way better now that I took the slack out of the cable, just a smudge left before it engages...
On the ferry now riding home, wet  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:44:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold, cold, blooded....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.