Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Daytona Beach Bike Week (Read 314 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Daytona Beach Bike Week
03/10/17 at 11:46:09

Well it's time for another Daytona Beach Bike Week and was wondering if any Savage rider is showing up.
 The event is one of those things that I always attend just because I'm living half way between the Daytona Speedway and the Cabbage Patch on Rt 415.
Let me know, maybe we can ride Main Street together. Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Daytona Beach Bike Week
Reply #1 - 03/10/17 at 11:53:55

Ed, earlier this winter we were trying to put together a trip to do just that, but we had no place to pitch a tent.

Got a patch of grass for us to work off of ????

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 03/10/17 at 12:35:53

2 1/2 acres grass and woods, I even have a 8x10 foot canvas wall tent  used for re-enacting along with a smaller regular pop up tent.
 Didn't pick up on everybody from the board trying to get a trip together for a Bike Week trip.
I've no problems with something like that but my wife is a little leary about nasty dirty bikers hanging out on the property although she's married to one  Wink. Gotta tread gently to get her OK, she always wants to get out of town for these events.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #3 - 03/10/17 at 13:45:25

Been there once, and I don't want to ever go back!  Too many people and too crowded and HOT!!!

Did you ever notice that every time there are a lot of people, there is also a crowd?

Also did the Deal's Gap Dragon's tail - NEVER want to go back!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 03/10/17 at 15:18:04

Hey Buckeye, just curious. What made you never want to go back to the Dragon? I've only been once but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As far as Daytona bike week, I have never been, it is a bit far for me, I really do not care for crowds, but I think I would like to try it once just to see what it is like.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 03/10/17 at 16:22:13

One of the best thing about Bike Week is heading over to the track and getting free rides at the factory tents. There are antique and classic races over at the track also which put on a good show. Main St and up by Destination Daytona is just a big parking lot for most of the week. I try to stay off the roads cause of all the bikers and now we have spring breakers coming in also. Half a million are expected this week Shocked

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 03/10/17 at 17:42:07

Ed L. wrote on 03/10/17 at 12:35:53:
2 1/2 acres grass and woods, I even have a 8x10 foot canvas wall tent  used for re-enacting along with a smaller regular pop up tent.
 Didn't pick up on everybody from the board trying to get a trip together for a Bike Week trip.
I've no problems with something like that but my wife is a little leary about nasty dirty bikers hanging out on the property although she's married to one  Wink. Gotta tread gently to get her OK, she always wants to get out of town for these events.

Ed sounds like he is issuing an invite.   Ed, slap some dates and a location on it and we will put it in the list of rides for 2017.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 03/10/17 at 18:02:31

Biketober Fest is the next big bike event coming up around here. It brings in about half of what Bike Week does. I'll work on getting the OK from my wife, at least she didn't say NO! when I mentioned a get together to her.
 I'll work on it and post dates and directions.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 03/10/17 at 21:40:20

Smiley

I like getting together with my bike buds !    I like camp-outs.   I like cook-outs .  

I hope my calendar ain't all used up on Bikeober Fest week !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #9 - 03/12/17 at 07:32:02

springman wrote on 03/10/17 at 15:18:04:
Hey Buckeye, just curious. What made you never want to go back to the Dragon? I've only been once but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As far as Daytona bike week, I have never been, it is a bit far for me, I really do not care for crowds, but I think I would like to try it once just to see what it is like.

I am glad I did it once.  I now can say I did.  However, I am a more casual, non-aggressive rider, and there were dozens of crotch rockets there who just wanted to prove that they could do dangerous things faster, and to other's danger, ride from corner to corner and breakneck (literally) speed!   Thoroughly spoiled it for me.  I couldn't wait to get out and move on, on my trip back to Ohio.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 03/12/17 at 10:18:03

It is important to understand the "riding style" for each trip -- our normal mountain rides would likely be a mismatch for Piedmont right now as they can go faster than is comfortable for "the casual rider".

A better first trip would be the Santeetlah Exploratory.  The upcoming Santeetlah trip with the various flavors of big bulky oversized chocolate chunkies all running in a row is going to be a slower paced, exploratory style trip.    I for one will be on a Suzuki Barcalounger, a heavier slower much more comfortable bike that needs breaking in to the mountain experience.   Without breaking it, or me preferably  ......

Later on when we go to Kickstand Lodge I will likely trailer in my lighter Savage and go off here and there with the crew in our more normal fashion .... watching MM destroy the local wildlife and mebbe getting in a squirrel or a 'possum of my very own yet again, who knows .....  

Porkchops and cagers will always be on the menu for sure -- you can always count on that, I think.   Tea and Crumpets are a special treat, as is the very rare $40,000 Ducati.

Know your ride ..... know your co-riders

Of the two trips, Piedmont would find more to like with the Santeetlah Exploratory trip as a first experience.

Be warned, we all started out like Piedmont but we all got corrupted by the mountains over time and doing those multiple trips per year.  

MM once believed in double yellow lines and speed limits (and back in his home state there was a good reason for that).   In NC the default speed limit is 55 mph and up in the high mountains you simply can't go that fast, so it is in essence a license to speed to your heart's content, and we learned better and better braking, cornering and riding techniques from the older riders as we went along.    MM and  I learned from Big Zuk, who was our Mountain Riding Yoda daddy.

« Last Edit: 03/12/17 at 14:35:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 03/12/17 at 11:49:06

One should always ride within their own limits/comfort level. When riding with faster riders hang back enjoy the ride , in time you will find yourself taking up the rear of the pack , sooner or later , your in the pack or leading it. It's a natural state of progression. Never ride beyond your bikes capability , something I have always done and after 40+ years am finally learning riding on the edge isn't always the fastest way between to points.  Modifying my style allows me time to enjoy the countryside , however I can still focus on the road and turn the switch on when needed.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 03/12/17 at 13:55:34

Corruption of the newbie, part 2

"There is no way in Heck we were going 75 mph around those turns ....."

Someone lays their device on the table and sez "display high speed" and the device says 78.5

"No Way !!!!   My Savage can't go that fast !!!"

yep, it can .....  and it will, especially on a wide downhill Cherohala sweeper curve.

Wink     ..... see the little duckies all in a row ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 03/12/17 at 14:29:01

MM and  I learned from Big Zuk, who was our Mountain Riding Yoda daddy.

Big Zuk's fault  ?   Huh

I wondered who "corrupted" you OldFeller ...  Grin

Sure is a lot of FUN ! Shocked  .... till the floor boards can't fold-up anymore and the nub starts gouging the pavement and lifting the rear tire into little "Hopping" motions ...  Embarrassed

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 03/12/17 at 14:34:54

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/12/17 at 13:55:34:

"No Way !!!!   My Savage can't go that fast !!!"

Oldfeller says don't worry, you'll catch up with us when we stop.   Wink

Lancer opens his coats displaying a number flashy baubles and says I got something for you...   Shocked

Versy leans in, glances both ways... do you want it to?    Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:27:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › Daytona Beach Bike Week

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.