Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Cross country and back on a 1986 savage. (Read 955 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cross country and back on a 1986 savage.
Reply #75 - 03/24/17 at 04:00:05

Before you got to start it again.....remember that the upper end has not been oiled for 8 miles.  When you are putting oil back in the bike, take the front valve inspection cover off, and put oil in the upper part of the head.  Try to get oil into the little rectangular well that sits under the cam, and you might consider taking out the spark plug and putting some light oil into the cylinder.....StaBil makes fogging oil for that purpose and it is only about 6 bucks for a can.

You also need to consider that the camshaft rides in the aluminum head, and those bearing points have not been oiled since the filter was changed.  When you remove the spark plug and have the new oil and filter in.....I would suggest turning the engine over with the starter for a few 10 second bursts.....to try and get some oil into the system before the engine starts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #76 - 03/24/17 at 08:10:15

Sounds like the way to go . Waiting for my ride so I can get my Bronco and trailer . Gonna stop for fogging oil  on the way .Thanks so much for the info especially the pic . Gives me a way better idea of where things are .

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #77 - 03/24/17 at 17:02:43

Thanks Dave  I followed your instructions  and the 86  fired up no noises no issues . No metal in the oil . Runs good as it did before Installed the oil filter back wards .  So I'm lucky lucky lucky so far . Still gonna baby it for a while and keep a close eye on it .

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #78 - 03/24/17 at 18:21:14

I hope your trip Is
Cross country
AND
Back

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #79 - 03/25/17 at 04:55:39

DeadKings wrote on 03/24/17 at 17:02:43:
Runs good as it did before Installed the oil filter back wards .  So I'm lucky lucky lucky so far.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet!

Your Kawasaki pulley should arrive today!

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #80 - 03/25/17 at 08:26:35

Yeah I'm lucky .  Rode the bike to work and back last night and all went well . Chilling at home today looking forward to getting that pulley gonna hopefully get it installed Monday or Tuesday .

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #81 - 03/25/17 at 08:59:06

When I modified my motor last year I changed over to a magnetic drain plug.  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #82 - 03/25/17 at 09:17:42

Màgnetic drain plug ? Where do I get one ? And how much ?Budget for the trip is starting to run out lol . But it might be a good idea to get one considering   ....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #83 - 03/25/17 at 10:39:36

I went with the gold plug simply cause it guaranteed fit...

http://goldplug.com/shop/mp06/

I'm not sure of the threads but this might fit as well and a lot cheaper...

https://www.amazon.com/Upstream-M12x1-25mm-Magnetic-Infiniti-Nissan/dp/B017SV...

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #84 - 03/26/17 at 05:21:26

Be sure to read (and maybe print a copy) of Stewmills write up on installing the Kawasaki pulley.

Also be sure you clean the threads on the shaft and nut - and use Blue or Red threadlocker on the nut....and crimp over a couple sides of the locking tab - you don't want the nut coming loose!

You will also need a torque wrench to tighten the nut properly.

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #85 - 03/28/17 at 21:40:17

Installed the Kawi pulley.today . Was actually pretty simple  . I sadly did not get a chance to test ride it and  see what the difference is .  Hoping to test it out tomorrow . I followed the instructions from on this forum and it went together we'll  . Got the pulley cover thinned out in all the right spots and downloaded a GPS Speedo  because I think I read that the speedo will be off on with the new Kawi front pulley . Wich by the way is awesome . A nice  clean well done black pulley  I'm very happy with my purchase . I really can't wait to try it out .  Thanks agian everyone for all the advice I'll let everyone know the results  as soon I get some ride time on it .

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #86 - 03/29/17 at 16:40:04

Took the bike for a test ride today .It felt good . Did a lil more adjusting on the belt tension.  I had it a lil tight .  And rode it around town definitely felt like it rode a lil better at lower rpm  didn't get a chance to freeway test it but did get it up to 45 -50 or  so the speedo said .  Hoping to get a lil more road time in this weekend gonna take it to work and back and hopefully ride to Corvallis this weekend  ( couple hundred miles)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #87 - 05/08/17 at 19:40:51

How about an update?

Did the trip happen?

Are you still riding?

Did you make it back?

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Cross Country  trip update
Reply #88 - 05/09/17 at 11:53:35

So long story short . The trip has been postponed . Two of our group were unable to get off work after all one other has some personal  and another legal issues . So not sure when but it will happy hopefully at the and of the summer / fall . The 86 4 speed is running well with the Kawi front pulley . I really dig it . I haven't had a chance to finish 99  but have a few days set aside this week to really get in​ to it . I've been riding a bunch as the weather has turned​ nice here . . Hoping to buy another Kawi pulley for the 5 speed when its running .  Instead of the cross country trip .I plan to leave on the 17th and ride up to Seattle  and down the west coast almost to Mexico . Taking 6 8 days to do it I think .  Well there s a short update . Probably gonna post later after work   still trying g to figure out a few lil iddle and jetting issues .  Thanks  DeadKings

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:36:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cross country and back on a 1986 savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.