Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Cross country and back on a 1986 savage. (Read 955 times)
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Cross country and back on a 1986 savage.
03/09/17 at 11:43:13

totally new to the forum , but long time rider . I picked up  a 1986 savage for $600 bucks  about 8 months ago . i have always liked Suzuki's owned a  few in the past mostly 850 or bigger . I only picked up the savage to fix up and flip . I have since but about 10,000 mile on top of the original 6638 I got it with. I really like this thing and have bought another 99 savage  Im currently putting back together  to possibly hard tail or mono shock . Anyway point being I really want  to take one of these bikes with my buddies across the country and back  coming up this may 17th 2017. Is this crazy ? does anyone see any issues  the rest of the 5 guys going are all ridding 650 cc bikes or less with one exception  a Honda shadow 1300  .   They are all riding import  bikes too  . I have been riding this thing pretty much every day  rain or shine  and its only had minor issues .  I have  a pod filter and open exhaust with a  single lollipop style baffle {I know I know not supposed to do that } but I love the look} currently in the process of the raptor petcock switch on both bikes  . plus a few others . also im very interested in ordering the modified  cam chain adjusters for both bikes asap as I plan to take the best running  of the 2 on the trip .  Again as
I ramble on trying to post way to much info ....  Im looking for advice on a few things such as best power to fuel consuption set ups.  any tips for  high mileage runs   on these things. I ride daily but my commute is mostly short .I have been on a few 100 and 200 mile trips with it  and have a few more planned before the big cross country in may . Ii know I forgot something  but that is about all I can think of  for now thanks ahead of time for tips and suggestions .

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Re: Cross country and back on a 1986 savage.
Reply #1 - 03/09/17 at 12:27:30

First thing I would do is convert to chain drive to change the gearing. The next would be a saddle mod or gel pad to sit on.

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #2 - 03/09/17 at 12:48:09

What size sprockets would you suggest . ive had no major issues with the belt  have considered the chain mod  but not sure what sizes to use .  i have the sprockets off an old suzuki gn400 I know they will bolt  on I believe they are  16 front  37 rear but i believe i can order up to 52 rear sprocket . and i found a detailed description of how to do it here in  a few places.. seat mod is coming this week along with hopefully some  seat quick pull pins   thanks

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 03/09/17 at 18:23:47

DK,You should look in the Technical section,-Rear suspension-chain conversion to help you decide on what you need. the stock ratio with the belt (68 teeth/23teeth) is 2.965,  your gears 37/16 give a ratio of 2.312 ,which is way high. 45/16 is 2.810 not much better than stock,but 43/16 is 2.690 about right,for a motor close to stock. the lowest most bikes get is in the 2.5XX area and most of these have high compression pistons and after market cams. the 43/16 would give you about a 10% decrease in RPM's and a10% increase in fuel mileage.If you want to stay with the belt you could look into the Kawasaki  front pulley conversion,which would give you about a 9% difference.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 03/09/17 at 19:32:17

Kawi Vulcan 500 front pulley. Keep the belt. Up the gearing. Not rocket surgery.
I think Dave is cutting some up as we speak.
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 03/10/17 at 00:46:52

You only have a 120 mile comfortable fuel range, you should start praying if you go over 130 miles. If you are going to do anything mechanical, check the chain tensioner before modifying pulleys and so on. Americans say the S40 isn't all that fond of super slab, oil consumption rises if you are over 75 mph for long periods. The stock seat isn't that comfortable, as others have pointed out. If you can, have soft back pack on the passenger seat. This can make a backrest. Cross winds will push you around. If you decide on pulley mods, allow yourself plenty of time to do this work as eight or so weeks slips away fast.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 03/10/17 at 02:34:12

DK,The 5speed is geared slightly higher than the 4 speed and might give better mileage, wind resistance is a killer ,you could change handlebars to drag bars as this would make you lean forward cutting frontal area,and be more comfortable at higher speeds.full face helmet use would be best as windshields are bad for two reasons,first they kill mileage ,second is unless mounted dead straight air will spill of the sides unevenly and could cause front end wobble at highway speeds.The 4speed carb runs a 155 main jet this might be changed to a 152.5 or 150,the 5 speed runs a 145 stock I don't think you could run anything smaller ,but you would need to be careful ,to lean will make the motor run hot. running a rear tire in the 140/90 size would give you a slightly larger diameter .(high end tires sometimes have deeper tread,and so have a larger outside diameter.)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/10/17 at 03:15:17

Armen wrote on 03/09/17 at 19:32:17:
Kawi Vulcan 500 front pulley. Keep the belt. Up the gearing. Not rocket surgery.
I think Dave is cutting some up as we speak.
-Armen

Yep....the sales so far have just been by "word of mouth" as I get them done.  Stemills, Lancer, old_Indian, and I are all using pulleys I have cut.....Springman is the next victim.

I prefer the belt over a chain, and that is why I am doing the pulley.  The Kawasaki pulley has 25teeth instead of the stock 23 teeth, and it makes an 8.7% reduction in rpm.....it is a noticeable change.  And if you need a rear tire before you leave on the trip....consider going to a 140/90-15 for an additional drop in rpm when cruising the superslab.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1484806731

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 03/10/17 at 04:17:25

wrong bike, vulcan 500 is chain drive, sprocket, not pulley. Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/10/17 at 04:27:57

zipidachimp wrote on 03/10/17 at 04:17:25:
wrong bike, vulcan 500 is chain drive, sprocket, not pulley. Cool

Says who?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-94-Kawasaki-Vulcan-EN500-500-Front-Sprocket-Driv...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Kawasaki-EN-500-Vulcan-Used-Rear-Drive-Belt-Pulley...

The Kawasaki front pulley is not a bolt on - it needs machining and the metal is very tough....it takes a long time to get it cut to size.  I sell the completed pulley for $ 150 shipped to the mainland 48 states in a small Flat Rate box.  You can probably buy a complete chain set cheaper - but for those of us that want to keep the belt....it is a worthwhile upgrade.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #10 - 03/10/17 at 10:12:51

Right on everyone . Here's an update . I'm interested in the kawi front sprocket . I'm already running a 140/ 90 tire . Lol learned that here ....  Not sure if I can run  the pulley though as I also have oversized shocks in the rear about 2.5 inches over stock there off an 850gs  I had . They allow me a nicer ride and accommodate for the hard saddlebags bags I have added  for carry space on The coast to coast trip .( They have brought the tire a bit close to the swing arm already )  I'm thinking the chain conversion might make it so I can give the tire.a lil more clearance . And change my gearing up .  What do you guys think ? also I have an open pipe just after the header with a solid lollipop style adjustable baffle. An open air pod  with about 8 inches  of  a 45 degree exhaust bend that puts the air filter behind the battery approximately where the stock box was .  My carb  is currently jetted at 160 main 55 pilot ( I ran it with a 180 main for longer than I want to admit . Bought it that way didn't know it and sadly I have trouble reading small type so didn't change it till my shop partner noticed it )  . I pulled the brass plug  to get to the idle air screw  and have that at 1 3/4 turns out )  I'installed the raptor petcock on the 86 yesterday  ordered one for the 99 too . I've been fighting a lil with carb adjustment   it runs great some days and not so great others but I still feel like I'm not running it to it full potential. I'm willing to make changes if I have to  just need to get them installed and dialed in  before I go .   I realize this is a ton of more information  so feel free to address any or all or  none of It . But as someone mentioned my trip is only about 8 weeks away  and I want to do the most I can for the trip without getting myself  overwhelmed . Thanks agian everyone  I really appreciate it . I plan to be very active with my posts  now and through the whole trip . I'm sure someone has done a trip like this before on a savage  but I'm excited to do it . I've been  to Tennessee and back from Portland on my 82 gs850  shaft drive  but this will be the farthest I've ever gone and I have faith the savage will make it . I'm not to computer savvy but I'm hoping to post the info for the trip so you all can check out our plans .  (Big Iron Door gallery  coast to coast trip 2017 ) Vancouver WA .  the alternative art gallery I work on bikes / scooters out of the back  . Mostly my own . Also ounce we post our route,  if anyone   wants to tag along whenl we ride through  hit me up . As I stated before I ramble so like I said thanks a thousand times

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #11 - 03/10/17 at 12:31:59

A cheap upgrade in lighting would be good also. A brighter headlight bulb. On E-bay , I have seen LED stick on brake , or running lights.  The more rear end notice the better, and can be removed when you get home. Safety first, comfort second.  Watch out for the IDIOTS.  They are everywhere.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 03/10/17 at 18:29:55

I just finished the Dave Special pulley swap. Front and rear. Zero pulley wobble and I can shut off downhill in neutral and it's as quiet as anything. The tires on the pavement..
No belt noise under load.
I did use a blade from a feeler gauge to make the stepped bushing that fits in the hub fit snugly into the outer bearing. With Daves bushed and turned inner part of the hub fitting the wheel, it can't move.
I'm running a 140/80 Metzler. The saddlebag mounts wouldn't work out with a 140/90.
As much as I am digging the new gearing, I don't actually know how fast I'm going. IDK what the taller tire and the sprocket swap would do. IIRC Dave said the sprocket=about a 12.5% increase. I never checked the speedo beforehand, so,I dunno.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #13 - 03/10/17 at 19:16:27

JOG, Download a GPS speedo app for your phone, and fasten it to your handlebar. Cardboard and duct tape if nothing else.
When I did mine I found out it was 23% off. Speedo said 100 miles, GPS said 123!I made a full time waterproof mount for mine and got rid of the stocker, didn't fit my bigger tank anyhow.  It has worked fine or 25k, cept in a tunnel.
Just broke down and ordered a $300 Speedhut unit for something new this year.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/10/17 at 19:59:14

Yeahhh, I'm gonna hafta run that by the wife.
I dunno if she's cool with me swiping her phone. It's a great plan. I bet I can get that done, actually, I Do have a GPS I can hook up.
It'd be Great to not get lost every time I head for a new fishing spot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:35:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cross country and back on a 1986 savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.