Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Cross country and back on a 1986 savage. (Read 955 times)
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Re: Cross country and back on a 1986 savage.
Reply #60 - 03/23/17 at 11:26:04

Just sent out for my Kawi pulley and a cam chain tensioner for my 99 . Did the tensioner swap yesterday on the  86 .  Also added quick release pins and  a lollipop to my single baffle exhaust . Seems to idle better getting ready to go test ride it now .  But I noticed in putting together my 99  that even though I made a parts list I still forgot stuff .  Where is the best place to get parts? Just eBay ? . I need a exhaust gasket X2, exhaust bolts( snapped one)     , clutch cover gasket X2 , plus the clutch cover bolt oil washers  I lost two   , tank mounts rubbers X2 (the silly things that the tank slides on too ). I'm really looking to get quality parts not cheap ones I've had a few disappointments with eBay .( 2 crappy clutch cover gaskets    an exhaust gasket . And a  front brake light switch that said it was for my 86 but clearly is not ) ok anyways guys please let me know
Thanks DeadKings

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #61 - 03/23/17 at 11:44:25

I buy factory parts from Bike Bandit.....I wait until they send me a 10% discount offer to get stuff!

There are several other online stores that are as good.....or you can buy from your local dealer.

Most of the time it takes about the same length of time - as your local dealer won't have most of the parts in stock and will have to order them.  They most likely will have oil filters, mirrors, maybe a cable....most other parts will have to be ordered.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #62 - 03/23/17 at 18:37:27

Well today officially sucks . Not sure why but there is now a whole wear my oil filter door  used to be . Started the bike heard a pop and then oil everywhere . . That after a long day of physical and mental crap already.  I'm gonna take the night to chill but then I'm gonna get it to the shop tomorrow and try to figure it out .Anyone ever heard of this ? I recently did an oil change and used an eBay filter when I did the cam chain tensioner . The bike rode fine on my way home from the shop but then popped and blew a whole in the oil filter cover  when I tried to start it to go to work tonight.  I'm kinda freaking out hoping I didn't frag  my motor .  Any ideas ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #63 - 03/23/17 at 19:33:38

You put the new oil filter in backwards.

You are not the first one to do that.

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #64 - 03/23/17 at 19:35:34

Really . I haven't looked at it yet . Is it serious ? Do I need to do anything special ?  I've been pretty stressed .

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #65 - 03/23/17 at 19:43:14

DeadKings wrote on 03/23/17 at 19:35:34:
Is it serious ?

One side of the oil filter has an open end...the other one is closed.  When you put it in backwards.....there is no oil flow to the engine.  Whatever miles you rode since the oil change was done without any oil going to the engine.  If it didn't suffer some serious wear to the head, cam and rockers.....I will be amazed.  The roller bearings do get a bit of oil from the splash the clutch and crank kicks up.....and maybe they are OK.  I don't know how the piston/cylinder holds up.....there was no oil flow out the rod and a lot of that oil goes to lubricate those parts.

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #66 - 03/23/17 at 20:33:03

Any suggestions on what to do ? Should I just throw a new oil filter and cover on it and see what happens?  Or do I need to do anything special ? It seemed to run fine on the way home but yeah I did ride it  approx 8 miles

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #67 - 03/23/17 at 20:39:34

I'll rebuild the whole thing if I have too,  but it needs to happen before  may 17th. And as cheap as possible so I can afford the trip .

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #68 - 03/23/17 at 20:40:24

Drain the oil, what's left, and look at it.
Then , yeah, steal the filter and cover off the other bike and see how it goes.
Might consider flushing the crankcase.
A quart of diesel, slosh, drain..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #69 - 03/23/17 at 20:46:22

Ok I actually have an extra oil door from the clutch cover I cracked  from over tightening it  .(Yeah learned that lesson the hard way) . I'm gonna trailer  it to the shop in the morning  and drain the oil  and see what it looks like .

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #70 - 03/23/17 at 20:51:22

Yeah I just looked it is for sure the oil filter in backward . I can't believe I did that . That's what I get for being a jack of all trades and yet a master of none  right . Hopefully I didn't do anything I can't fix

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #71 - 03/23/17 at 20:53:59

k I actually have an extra oil door from the clutch cover I cracked  from over tightening it  

Didn't know that was possible

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #72 - 03/23/17 at 21:06:32

Yep I cracked the clutch cover replacing the gasket  that leaked when I first bought it . Tightened the ,8 mm bolt near the top where  the oil groove is on the inside of the cover. It   gave it a hair line crack  that seaped oil when it was running .  Live, learn, then mess up agian and learn more . Well I feel a lil better . Now I'm just impatient to see what the bike does tomorrow

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #73 - 03/23/17 at 21:54:41

I should have an extra '86-'88 clutch cover
I look for it tomorrow night.

WWW   IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #74 - 03/23/17 at 21:58:57

Thanks I'm good on the cover the one I cracked was like a year ago and already replaced it .I'm just gonna grab the oil filter cover off it and throw it on  with a new filter after I check the oil and look for metal in it . Not sure may try the deisel flush  not sure

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:29:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cross country and back on a 1986 savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.