Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Cross country and back on a 1986 savage. (Read 955 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Cross country and back on a 1986 savage.
Reply #30 - 03/15/17 at 08:45:17

Lancer,Dave, No I don't have an oil pressure gauge ,nor would it be of much use as I don't have these  mods. Pressure in any engine as a rule of thumb requires 10 psi for every 1000 Rpm ,I will concide that the pressure may well be alright ,BUT what of flow? the flow of oil through the motor both lubes the parts and carries away HEAT! 100 psi of pressure will do little to increase flow ,the size of the passages restrict much increase .The 10.5 ;1 piston has raised CE by 7.2% at 4000 rpm,(70 Mph ?)and therefore raises combustion chamber temp.Motors have about 35% efficiency ,65% of the heat being absorbed by the engine block.No more air passes over the motor.the only other cooling medium being the oil.If it takes 25HP to get to 70 MPH it stand to reason that the built motor also makes the same ,but the oil pump is turning 15% slower ,pumping 15% less volume ,that volume being normally used to run a cooler firing stock motor at 60MPH.It would be better to look at what is happening to oil temp. rather than head temp .on these bikes. They have to be running hotter ,more so in warm locals , and higher heat causes increased wear.17:45 might be a better than17:43 gearing for these bikes.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #31 - 03/15/17 at 09:34:47

I appreciate all the information.I  have spent most my time off this week working on the 86 .  I did a raptor petcock switch . Installed  taller shocks to accommodate for my hard saddlebags . Also I raised my bars from stock to 12 inch mini apes  ( puts my hands just at shoulder level Wich is comfortable to me ) . Then extended the wires  ,clutch and throttle cables . Just finished running the wires thru the bars last night  for that nice clean look . I'm not sure wether I'm going to go chain or pulley . I'd really like to get a lil more out of the bike . But other than  an open air filter with  and  open header situation single adjustable baffle ( thinking about changing that . Or adding a lollipop after the baffle to add a lil more back pressure)  it's totally stock as far as I know . Do I need to upgrade the motor  before I do a pulley or chain swap ? Don't think I have enough time before my trip to do engine upgrades .    I just  ordered the cam chain tensioner mod  and the soft plug replacement plus push in seat pins   for the 86 and hope to get them next week sometime . ( Not rushing just hoping ) I also ordered all the parts  I need to get the 99 savage running  too  . I'm planning on getting it back together  as soon as my parts for it arrive . I love the prices of stuff on eBay and online but I miss being able to pay for something and pick it up right then .  Plus I'm impatient and just wanna get it done .  Probably gonna be headed back to the shop today  to finish  painting and remounting  the hard saddle bags  but first I gotta  adjust my belt tension I have it a lil tight I think after adding the taller shocks . Agian I really appreciate all the advice . It is a bit overwhelming so much information and  a few different opinions . Doing my best to  figure out what would be best for my situation. Plus taking the time to post as I'm not the  most computer savvy . I'm only 42 but I'm a bit of an old grumpy bastard  and a Luddite ( think I spelled that right ) .  lol .I'm sure I'll be on here later or tomorrow asking  some tuning and carb questions .   Hoping the pic I loaded this is me and my buddy's bikes before the trip to Astoria Oregon from Portland  a few weeks ago . Before Il the shocks and raptor mod will put more pics on later  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 03/15/17 at 09:37:57

Is your 10 psi per 1,000 rpm oil pressure guideline applicable to plain or roller bearings....is that a Drag Racer rule of thumb for a small block Chevy?  Roller bearings don't really need any pressure....they need a small amount of flow.  The only bearing failure that I am aware of is Verslagen had a counterbalance shaft bearing fail....the cage came apart.  I don't know of anybody that has had a rod failure...normally when you run the engine low on oil (or out of oil) - the piston/cylinder locks up before you damage the bearings.

The higher compression motor doesn't "have" to run hotter at lower throttle settings and normal riding speeds - I will agree that at full throttle it will likely make more heat if you are using the extra HP the higher compression can provides.  But I don't agree that the higher compression piston makes the engine run hotter in all situations, all the time.  When the carb slide is restricting the flow of air into the engine - the cylinder is not being filled and the difference of the compression ratio is not realized.  So if a stock 8.5;1 compression ratio engine is making 15 HP to get me down the road at a certain speed.....and a similar 10.5:1 engine is making the same 15HP - the cylinder most likely has the same amount of fuel/air in the cylinder to make the same amount of HP - if there was more/air fuel in the cylinder the higher compression engine would make more heat and more HP.....and the 2 bikes would not be going the same speed for very long!

The only way to know for sure if a stock engine and a modified engine make different amounts of heat at a steady low rpm cruise - would be to ride them side by side and compare temperatures.  Unfortunately there would still be variables like fuel mixture, exhaust, tire design and air pressure.....and even the wind resistance of the rider that cold affect the results!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #33 - 03/15/17 at 09:43:48

Oh yeah and to Maurizio the gentleman from Italy . Right on man thanks for all the great info .  I've been to Italy ounce when I was stationed in Germany  in the late 90s but only for a few days . Always wanted to go back . Maybe after my cross country trip I can go ride Europe . How much is a  a decent running savage cost over there ? I'd have to save up a bunch for a year or two to do it  but it would be worth it I bet .  On your chain conversion do you have oil issues ? I read in one of these post it lowers the oil pressure and pump effeciancy to do the chain swap. Just trying to get all the info before I decide what to do .  Thanks agian for all the info  .

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 03/15/17 at 09:46:33

DeadKings wrote on 03/15/17 at 09:34:47:
Do I need to upgrade the motor  before I do a pulley or chain swap ? 

The stock motor can pull the Kawasaki front pulley just fine - provided that you don't have a huge windshield, big saddlebags and weigh as much as the bike!

If you get in the mountains and the air is thin, the headwinds are strong, and it doesn't pull high gear....you can shift down.  I have never heard from anyone that has used the Kawasaki pulley on a 4 speed bike.......they work great on a 5 speed as downshifting from 5th to 4th puts you very close to what the stock gearing used to be when in 5th.

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #35 - 03/15/17 at 09:53:41

Saddlebags are improvised off an old beamer and fiberglass . Not that heavy really empty there only a few pounds each . Fully loaded the only issues had was a bracket I built incorrect and with a huge pot hole  it hit the rear sprocket that's why I installed the bigger shocks . I'm going up to the shop today to readjust the rear end  make sure there is no clearance issues with the   larger shocks and to see if I can fit the front pulley mod  or not .    

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #36 - 03/15/17 at 09:58:07

Ounce I get all the parts for my 99 and get it running agian ( been kinda scavenging a few parts off it for my 86 and my buddy's 02 savage ) I may do the pulley mod on it to take across country . I just have the 86 set up more for the trip  ( hard bags and more comfortable ride)  when I figure out to upload pics I will ...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #37 - 03/15/17 at 14:16:14

Dave what you say is true the 10.5 compression is only at peak torque , that is why I used 4000 Rpm as my example.I'm fully aware that that compression is low before the peak due to late closing of the intake valve ,and after the peak due to restriction (nozzle effect) of the intake valve at higher speeds.Old Indian seems timid to run his bike to  4000 Rpm ,where the torque peaks and the compression and therefore the combustion temps are the highest.He can't gear the motor lower,the oil flow would be to low, that's why I suggest raising it to 17/45 or even stock. This would take the motor past the peak,allowing for better oil flow and cooler  combustion temps and allow him to cruise at highway speeds without care. with the 40 HP he has on tap why be limiting the bike to 60 mph when it can probably do 100,spending that amount of time and money for such bad performance makes little sense to me.think about it Dave wouldn't it be nice to be able to ride your bike at 55 in 5th gear and enjoy the fuel savings ,rather than 4th ?If you run a stock front pulley and kawa rear what would that ratio be?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 03/15/17 at 15:59:53

Batman:

Why do you insist the oil pressure is too low at 3,000 rpm?  There are no oil related issues with the Savage....provided you keep your idle speed around 1,100 rpm.  I don't see any reason to believe the engine is under lubricated at 3,000 rpm.

The Stage 1 and Stage 3 cams are a pretty mild cam and they run just fine in the Savage for everyday cruising around town.....or on the highway.  The Stage 3 has a bit more lift than the Stage 1 - but they both have the same duration....the Stage 2 cam has a longer duration combined with the higher lift of the State 2 cam.  I really don't know for sure what/where the Stage 1 or Stage 3 torque peak is - but I bet either one still makes more HP and torque at 3,000 rpm than the stock cam does....and it runs really well!

My car engine has the maximum HP at 5,600 rpm, maximum torque is at 4,200 rpm. it has a 11:1 compression ratio.  I drive it to work every day at 3,000 rpm and 60 mph.  It is well below the peak torque and HP....no problem - 130,000 miles and climbing.  You don't have to gear your car/motorcycle so it operates at the maximum torque rpm when cruising.

« Last Edit: 03/15/17 at 18:20:41 by Dave »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 03/15/17 at 16:39:10

The Supertrapp with fourteen disks, 140/90tire, jetted carb, Stage One cam, and I was giggling. The Supertrapp was louder than the Dyna and cost more than twenty times the money as the Dyna, so I'm settling for the Dyna.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #40 - 03/15/17 at 20:57:26

So just got back from the shop today finished painting and rehanging my saddlebags . I got the rear tire relined up and belt tension correct . It looks like there might be room for the Kawi front pulley swap . How much room do I need for the swap ?  I think I'll go with that if it will fit,  since I'm only running a stock motor  .  I think keeping the belt will go e the least issues and be the easier swap to do before the trip .  Also can't remember who makes them is there a post about them some where so I can get a better idea of what it takes to do the swap . And any info about the actual changes it makes for sure ? Thanks .

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 03/15/17 at 21:05:01

The Tech section has the original post on it.
Hutch Hutchins pioneered it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 03/16/17 at 04:12:34

DeadKings wrote on 03/15/17 at 20:57:26:
 It looks like there might be room for the Kawi front pulley swap . How much room do I need for the swap ?   .

What clearance are you concerned about?  The only clearance issues is with a bit of rubbing that occurs on the outer pulley cover.  It takes 5 minutes with a Dremel to trim off 1/16" of aluminum in a few places.  The axle has to be moved all the way forward, and the longer shocks actually helps give more room for adjustment...the belt should be a little bit looser with longer shocks as the belt will tighten as the swing arm moves.

Here is a link to Stewmills pulley install in the Tech Section.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1484806731

I am the guy that machines the Kawasaki pulleys....they are $150 shipped and include a new locking tab and the needed screws with the lower heads.

IP Logged
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Reply #43 - 03/16/17 at 08:14:50

That's awesome .  Just did the shocks this week . Haven't really gotten to ride it much .  I just ordered the cam chain adjuster  and a few other parts plus a bunch of others online waiting for all that to come in . As soon as I get them and install them  I will be making another order of parts . If there are no clearance issues I will be ordering the  Kawi pulley kit when I order the others .  So  I was under  the impression that  I might need to worry about the tire /swing arm clearance with the  front pulley swap . I have the belt tensioned in the sweet spot( I think ) for the shock swap and it did bring the tire a touch closer to the swing arm .  Just want to be certain  .  Does anyone have any info about the Kawi front pulley swap on an the 4 speed ? Any issues or things I should know .  I just want to do it right . But I guess if It doesn't work on the 86  it will on the 99. really just hoping  I can eventually  do it on both .  No point  in having a loaner bike so friends can ride with me if they can't keep up  right . So trying to make them match in performance and have totally different styling  . Thanks agian for any info in this . Also please let me Know the best  way to order the pulley kit  from you  .

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #44 - 03/16/17 at 10:41:53

DeadKings wrote on 03/15/17 at 09:43:48:
Oh yeah and to Maurizio the gentleman from Italy . Right on man thanks for all the great info .  I've been to Italy ounce when I was stationed in Germany  in the late 90s but only for a few days . Always wanted to go back . Maybe after my cross country trip I can go ride Europe . How much is a  a decent running savage cost over there ? I'd have to save up a bunch for a year or two to do it  but it would be worth it I bet .  On your chain conversion do you have oil issues ? I read in one of these post it lowers the oil pressure and pump effeciancy to do the chain swap. Just trying to get all the info before I decide what to do .  Thanks agian for all the info  .  

Hi DK. When I did the chain conversion I initially went for a 17/47 but found it a bit too tall geared (I do mostly city driving) so went back to 17/49 which is almots exactly the stock drive raito with the OEM belt.

If you have a chat with any Iron Butt rider they will tell you long distance riding is about riding long distances, not revving the motor to Death.

On the Savage my preferred cruising speed is in the 55mph range, +/- 5mph for wind, climb, traffic, speed cameras...

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:24:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cross country and back on a 1986 savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.