IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Genuine 400
Reply #1 - 03/09/17 at 08:58:09

Wow! I could see myself on one of these!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 03/09/17 at 10:15:20

What make and model is that?
Engine has a Honda look !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #3 - 03/09/17 at 10:24:34

Ruttly wrote on 03/09/17 at 10:15:20:
What make and model is that?
Engine has a Honda look !

It's from the same company that makes the Genuine Buddy line of scooters. I remember most of the previews saying it'd be coming in 2016 but I haven't see any real word on them since 2015 or so.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/09/17 at 10:36:12

Looks good but those Chinese bike builders never develop a dealer or parts distribution network.  But in the fifties and sixties it was the same way with some obscure central/eastern European and Italian bike brands.  They were also small and inexpensive and kids rode them to destruction and simply trashed them when they needed serious repairs.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/09/17 at 10:54:02

butter smooth. Clutch-less upshifts were smooth, but there was something extra

On the way down through those five gears, the G400C was equally well-behaved. Thoughtful blips of the throttle were rewarded with nearly imperceptible down-shifts, but even without matching revs, the bike’s transmission was very smooth and forgiving while shifting down. Again, making this a

Apparently clutchless shifting isn't the
Breathless Ohh No that some people seem to believe. Clutchless downshifts on the Savage require a bit more finesse than upshifts to get smooth. Upshifts are easier to get smooth when engaged in Spirited riding. Virtually imperceptible pause in acceleration. If I'm in traffic or just riding like an old man, the clutch is involved.

So, it weighs about what a vespa weighs.
No idea what it weighs. Claimed 29 HP at the wheel. If true and it's substantially lighter, it should give us a run for the money.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/09/17 at 11:10:47

So according to the article/review, this is basically a Honda CB400SS updated knock-off, which I saw many of in Nairobi, Kenya. The Chinese company producing this bike also made the Honda for the international market. It looks like Genuine is trying to fill a neglected market in the US - 125cc to 500cc lightweight commuter bikes. I believe the big boys pulled out for lack of profitability. Big bikes sell for more, but have about the same production cost as smaller bikes (10-20% difference in materials cost while labor is about the same), but based on consumer perception and percentage mark-up bring in more $$$. In poorer countries, volume sales of smaller bikes make up the difference. Regardless, this bike looks good and is worth considering. Oh, yeah - I was an Accountant before I retired.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/09/17 at 12:05:47

The article was written November 2015, and the bike was a pre-production bike.

I checked their website....doesn't look like they yet offer it for sale.

http://www.genuinescooters.com/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 03/09/17 at 12:07:42

Bean Counter  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 03/09/17 at 13:10:49

Someone on this forum recently pointed out that the Yamaha 400 hadn't been a sales success in the US market, I've no idea of it's sales in NZ, perhaps the Genuine people have done their research and concluded that the market niche maybe too small.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/09/17 at 17:41:34

Regarding the Yam SR400, a local shop still has a new 2015 for sale. Even after discounts, no takers.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 03/09/17 at 18:23:25

I've always been a fan of the SR500, the SR400 not so much. A friend of mine has a SR500 in a cafe style and it is stunning. The SR400 just appears bulbuls and cheap to me. It could easily be fixed, but I'd rather have a used 500 then a new 400.

Regarding the Genuine 400, it's a shame it wasn't imported. It's a good looking bike and Genuine promised some additional parts. It could have been a great bike for new riders and one that with the right factory support I'm sure would develop a cult following.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #12 - 03/09/17 at 20:20:26

The 'Genuine' looks ALOT like the 'Nemesis', being released here in Australia this year:

www.solinvictus.com.au/pages/the-nemesis

nemesis_white_2017.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 03/10/17 at 01:01:04

engineer wrote on 03/09/17 at 10:36:12:
Looks good but those Chinese bike builders never develop a dealer or parts distribution network.  But in the fifties and sixties it was the same way with some obscure central/eastern European and Italian bike brands.  They were also small and inexpensive and kids rode them to destruction and simply trashed them when they needed serious repairs.

I object to that.

With the demise of Indian, the only motorcycle manufacturer left in the US was Harley Davidson.

In 1960 HD bought Aermacchi for pennies, and started importing a... castrated version of their 250cc and 350cc motorcycles.
I never really understood why the US needed buckhorn bars, a 4sp gearbox and less power than the European market, but that's the way it was.
The Aermacchi 350SS 4-stroke single could outrun, outbrake, outmanoeuver the contemporary 900cc Ironhead Sportster any time of the day - at least here in Europe.

Other Italian motorcycles were sold in the US, namely the famous Huh Huh Huh Sears-Allstate  Huh Huh Huh ...
Known to the rest of the world as Piaggio Vespa, Gilera or Puch (austrian)

The truth of the matter is that, short of Triumph/Norton and BMW,  European manufacturers found it much too expensive to ship budget-minded lower-end motorcycles overseas.
So you were flooded by the Japanese bikes, because YOU were the only Country they could really export to.
Communist China ? Viva Mao's bicycle!
India ? Too busy dodging holy cows...
Australia and New Zealand? Nice guys but a very small market.
U S A ? They won the war, were never bombed, ended the war richer than when they started...

YOU were the export market of choice !

The rest is history...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/10/17 at 06:09:30

And That, my friends, is what is often referred to as a different
Perspective.
Considering that it comes from a seasoned and well traveled foreigner, I'm gonna call it a more accurate lens to see things through.
I'd probably toss in some Tall Table Talk to flesh it out.

In the FWIW department, I was fishing and met a guy who decided he was gonna get a
Meaudursighkull. So, he went Right on down to the Harley Davidson gettinplace, and got himself a TwelveHunnert CC engine powered, half of a car , for his Starter Meaudursighkull.
Never even rode one before. The tales of terror and discomfort were entertaining. The pants flapping in the wind, and trying to hold on at sixty, too afraid to get it up to seventy.
Wow, at least he was smart enough to sell it.
I wonder if the salesman knew he had never ridden a bike.. I'm sure he did,  your riding history just might be part of the convo..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:38:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Genuine 400

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.