Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Anybody familiar with the BMW F650CS? (Read 216 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Anybody familiar with the BMW F650CS?
03/06/17 at 08:43:53

If we have good weather next weekend and the bike is still available I may try to negotiate a price that is acceptable to me. The bike is a 2003 BMW F650CS with just under 20K miles. In the pictures it appears to be in great condition. First big concern is is it too tall for me? I'm only around 5'7" tall (or short depending on your perspective). My next big concern is how it handles and lastly and probably most importantly, am I going to have to pay a motorcycle tech big bucks any time it needs something?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Anybody familiar with the BMW F650CS?
Reply #1 - 03/06/17 at 09:49:33

I believe they have a kit that reduces the seat height of the 650.  There is a  dealer in my home town that sells BMW and many other brands and I go there fairly frequently.  They had a used 650 (I can't remember what specific model, just that is was a 650) on the floor a year or so ago and it had the shorter option and it was a good height.  The salesman explained that the original owner had ordered it that way.  I don't know if it is something that can be added or if it has to be ordered that way from the factory.  If there is a dealer nearby they might be able to help you.  The regular version, like most BMWs, is fairly tall but I like to put both feet flat on the pavement.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/06/17 at 10:32:43

I have always wanted a BMW.....but I am not sure I will ever own one.  The cost of parts, the fact that the closest dealer is 2 hours away, and having to learn another bike "operating system" has kept me from doing it.  If I was a serious sport touring kind of guy, I would own an R1200RT.

I sometimes wonder if the smaller BMW bikes are hard to sell when used.  The local dealer has been trying to sell this bike for about a year and a half.  The bike is in good shape, the price isn't bad, and I am sure it is a nice riding bike.  When I mentioned it to a biker friend....he told me it would cost $ 1,000 to get saddlebags and mounts for it!
http://hondaofflorence.com/Motorcycles-BMW-F-800-ST-2009-Florence-KY-c5f7b6b8...

This F650CS reminds me a bit of the Buehl 500.  A nice bike - but a bit quirky.  I would be cautions of buying it as an interim bike, as it might be hard to re-sell.

I would also look for a forum to get information about this bike.  Evidently it is a Rotax engine.  And I would pay attention to parts costs, and how far you need to go if you need service or parts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 03/06/17 at 12:02:16

it may not be fair, but once the clock reads over 20k, resale becomes a problem. Here it's 20k kilometers, and buyers become hard-nosed. Modern engines can do much more, but try telling that to buyers! Embarrassed

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/06/17 at 12:56:53

Springman:

If you like the Cruiser seating position, and are not looking to change to a bike with the footpegs under your butt.......go ride a Kawawaki Vulcan S.  It has a low seat height, it has plenty of power, and the engine is well proven.  The only downside is the chain - but the modern sealed chains are far less of a issue than the old chains were.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 03/06/17 at 13:27:35

Thanks for the comments. I must admit that for the most part you are scaring me away from this bike. I like that it is a single, that it has about 50HP and supposedly can cruise all day at 80mph and still return around 50mpg. The price also is attractive at under $3K. Well, I might not go check it out. Thanks.

I have seen at least one Vulcan S on the road and I must admit it looked very nice. Very doubtful though that I could get one for the money I am willing to spend at the moment. Roll Eyes

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 03/06/17 at 13:52:26

If it makes any difference, the engine is a Rotax and pretty bombproof. You could probably find the lowering links/shock absorber at a bike wreckers if you keep an eye out. I've seen those bikes being punted pretty hard through our local hills, they seem to handle fine. Better than an old Cabbage, anyway.

IP Logged
RevJay
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/06/17 at 23:58:14

My last bike ! Great to ride very comfortable. Horrible sound ! Definitely no thumper more like a lawnmower! However yes pretty bomb proof motor capable of long tours. Off road it's fine if it is not too technical. Really too heavy for tricky stuff. I had pair of Dakar 09 tyres and it was great on or off road. Nice position up on the pegs, there is a "low" seat which I had and I found it fine at 5'8".

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 03/07/17 at 02:56:44

Haha, that's what the KTM 390 sounds like too: a lawnmower  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/07/17 at 03:30:26

springman wrote on 03/06/17 at 13:27:35:
The price also is attractive at under $3K. Well, I might not go check it out. Thanks.

I have seen at least one Vulcan S on the road and I must admit it looked very nice. Very doubtful though that I could get one for the money I am willing to spend at the moment. Roll Eyes

Go ride the BMW - can't hurt to go ride a motorcycle!

And go ride a Vulcan S - the price of them will drop in a year or two.  You will then know if it is something you want to start saving and watching for a used one.

I am wrestling a bit trying to think of affordable (and reliable) used bikes that match your inseam and are a better bike than the Savage.  (I have a 30" inseam and I can't flatfoot most dual sport or adventure touring bikes or large sport touring bikes).

What exactly are you looking for in a new bike....that the Savage doesn't do well?

And yes.....I heard a KTM 390 going slowly across a parking lot, and it sounded like a weedwacker!  

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 03/07/17 at 08:38:24

I am glad to see a couple of guys seem to think the engine is bullet proof. I really don't like the idea of the bike sounding like a lawn mower though.

I really do like my Savage as an all around bike. I want to be able to do some long rides more often though and they will inevitably involve highway driving and here in Texas if you cannot do a steady 80mph you need to be even more careful. And I have done some sustained 75-80 mph on the Savage, but there is not much left in the bike at those speeds, the mpg drops below 50 and it does seem to use more oil at those speeds. So I guess real highway capability is what I am looking for without giving up the lightweight fun factor.

I'm in no hurry to buy a bike. When the right one shows up at the right price I will get it. And I will continue to ride my Savage on the highway when necessary but will try to keep the speeds to 65-75.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/07/17 at 09:19:24

You can do engine and gearing mods and your bike will do 75-80mph much better.  I am sure that my bike, Verslagen's, old_indian and Superthumpers bikes will all do 80 without problem (I don't even use 5th until I am over 60mph).  

You need to a Wiseco, a cam, do some head porting, and change the gearing (Kawasaki pulleys if you want to keep the belt - or a chain and sprockets), a 140/90-15 rear tire.  You are most likely going to spend $ 1,000 - $ 1,500 getting it all done - but the results are very good.

Or.....maybe you just need to look around a bit.  There are lots of bike models out there that I have overlooked.  A parallel twin will most likely be the best bike for getting down the highway at speed - my little Ninja 250 can do 75-80 all day long...and the parallel twin bikes tend to be smaller and lighter than the V-Twin bikes.

I didn't realize that the Kawasaki Vulcan S had an earlier bike that is very similar, and can probably be found for a lot less money.  Some of the early models were belt drive, later a chain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Vulcan-500-LTD-/142300285159?hash=item2121c2...

https://www.cycletrader.com/search-results?sort=featured%3Aasc&radius=150&lay...;

The Suzuki SV650 is supposed to be a wonderful bike.......the early ones (pre-Gladius) are better in some ways than the later bikes.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #12 - 03/07/17 at 09:37:57

The V Strom 650 is proven and it will do 80 all day long comfortably.  However, if I lived where you do I would seriously consider a 1K liter.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 03/07/17 at 09:48:02

PG:

How tall is the seat on the V-Strom?

I am an inch taller than Springman (5'-8", 30" inseam), and I rode a friends 1000 V-Strom.  I could just barely touch my toes on the ground....the bike is way too tall for me to own.  

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #14 - 03/07/17 at 09:53:53

I'm 5'9" / 30" and I don't have any issues, check out the last page for ergonomics.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2012MayDL650.pdf

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:30:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anybody familiar with the BMW F650CS?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.