Send Topic Print
Steering Dampner (Read 387 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Steering Dampner
Reply #15 - 03/06/17 at 15:13:32

I won't know how act with stickies on it , but I'm sure it will be a much more relaxing riding not having to be slipin n slidin thru the turns. Hope it ain't too boring !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 03/06/17 at 19:36:29

Yeah  both front & rear are 2.50 x 18 so suggestions on tire sizes are welcome. Kinda wish they were 17" to get the real good stickies but then again it might make it look like a Honda Grom !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 03/06/17 at 21:07:15

Maybe the Pirelli Sport Demon 100/90H18 for front and 120/80H18 for rear

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 03/07/17 at 03:37:16

If Ruttly or Gary_in_NJ (or anybody else) wants a good used 100/90-18 Pirelli Sport Demon front tire - I have one with about 6,000 miles on it.  It is probably about 4 years old.  (You pay shipping cost).  I also have the 130/70-18 rear that I ran with it.....it has a pretty good flat spot down the center - partly because it was mounting it on a 2.50 rim and not the 3.50 rim it was designed for.  (Photo of worn Pirelli with new Bridgestone).

I liked the Pirelli Sport Demons - however it is not available in the 90/90-18 size, and the 100/90-18 has tall sidewalls and is a very heavy tire compared to the 90/90-18.  The rear tire definitely has a shape similar to what the sport bikes use.

The Michelin Sport Activ does not have the same radius on the rear tire as the Sport Demon - it appear more rounded at the edges.

The rear Bridgestone Battlax BT45 seems to be between the Pirelli and Michelin in tread profile.  The rear has a harder rubber strip down the center to help get more mileage before the flat spot wears in.  I like the tires and they come in the sizes I want - but those little diamond shapes in the front tread squirm around when the bike is leaned over, and as a result they wear unevenly and make a humming noise when you lean the bike over in a turn.

Maybe I should give the Avon AM26 another look?

« Last Edit: 03/07/17 at 04:44:42 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #19 - 03/07/17 at 05:30:27

Dave wrote on 03/07/17 at 03:37:16:
I liked the Pirelli Sport Demons - however it is not available in the 90/90-18 size, and the 100/90-18 has tall sidewalls and is a very heavy tire compared to the 90/90-18.  The rear tire definitely has a shape similar to what the sport bikes use.

That's why I have decided to go with the 100/90 on the front and 130/80 for the rear; I think a street tracker should have high aspect ratio tires.

Ruttly, I agree with not using 17's on a street tracker. If I could have found good street rubber in 19's I would have gone that big, but 18's are a good compromise.

Dave, I can't believe how flat spotted that rear tire got. I wonder how much of that is due to multi-radius profile of the tire. That, combined with it being "squeezed" onto too small of a rim, is probably the culprit. You should be fine with a more rounded radius. The Kenda K671 I'm using has a rounded profile and so far I don't see any strange wear patterns developing.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 03/07/17 at 06:59:45

Get some good dirt track tires in 19" and they work good just don't last long but they do look bad a$$. Remember many years ago seeing road racers using them as rain tires !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #21 - 03/07/17 at 10:15:03

Back when the Dunlop K81s were the tire to have I was running the Pirelli Phantoms and you could grind your center stand & exhaust all day long while watching your buddy with K81s sliding off the road in the your mirror.  Those were great tires but probably junk in today's standards! Wish they still made them ! They really looked cool !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #22 - 03/07/17 at 15:15:28

Dave , Thanks for the offer but if I'm going to wrestle with tires they are going to be new ones. Ever try mounting old tires ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #23 - 03/07/17 at 19:28:38

A couple of items for you.  I thought I had a better picture but this is the only one I can find that (sort of) shows my steering damper.  take a look at the lower triple clamp just inside of the right fork tube.  You will see the end of the steering damper and then I hid the body of it under the tank.  I am running a Shindy damper which is also sold under the Daytona brand.  They are Japanese made and a middle of the road damper but are adjustable and fully rebuild-able.  They can be further tuned by changing the weight of the oil in them if needed.

I am not running a stock frame as you can see.  it has a rake angle of 26 deg.

Now a point of thought for those making radical changes and pushing the stock frame.  I am working on my Lyster framed project so I have set up a couple of spreadsheets to analyze frame and suspension geometry.  The stock frame of the savage has a 35 deg rake and 5.80 in of trail.  That would indicate a 2.73 offset in the triple clamps.  When one pushes the change in rake you need to also watch your trail and possibly change your offset if you go too far.

So as far as rake goes.  A bike with a 57" wheelbase will drop 1 degree of rake for every 1" the back end goes up or the front end goes down.  So if you raise the back end by 3 inches with shocks and drop the front 2 inches you would be down to a 30" rake.  That is still pretty lazy in the sport or standard world.  If you drop your front wheel by 1" diameter remember that takes 1/2" off and 1/2" deg also.

Now bring trail into the equation. Trail is a function of rake, offset, and wheel diameter.  So from my previous number crunching some fast changes can appear.  Gary touched on this in his post and I believe his numbers were from measurements and are very close although slightly high but not by much.  
Watch how the numbers change based on the stock offset of 2.73"

Wheel size   Rake  Trail  
19"               35      5.8   this is stock and cruiser range
19"               30      4.17"  Now down in modern sport standard range
18"               30      4.1"
19"               29      3.91"   lower portion of modern sport standard range
18"               28      3.82"
19"               27      3.65"  now pushing low even for sport/race
18"               27      3.54"
19"               26      3.40 "
18"               26      3.27"

Push below 30 degrees with the stock triple clamps and you start to really get a short trail.  This of course can be corrected by using a triple clamp with less offset.  This is why when you look at sport bikes the forks are much closer to being in line with the steering stem versus cruisers with higher rake have to push the forks out ahead of the stem.

If memory serves me right Dave changed triple clamps on is cafe bike when he built it.  To bring the trail back up to about 4.1" with a 28 deg rake would require a triple an offset of about 2.1-2.15" versus the 2.73 of the stock triple.

Last note would be this all assumes the axle is centered at the bottom of the fork.  If you use leading axle forks like on most old dirt bikes and the old GS-L models Suzuki used to sell then you run less offset in the triple clamp because you make up for it by moving the axle to the front of the fork lower.

All fun!   Please don't take it as preaching.  Hopefully someone will find it of interest.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #24 - 03/07/17 at 20:55:27

Blue , very nice job in hiding the damper. That is the most bueatiful cafe bike I think I've ever seen , it's freakin awsome ! You should be dam proud of that bike !
 Sounds funny but I got in a hurry to finish the tracker after about 2 1/2 years and skipped the derake of the frame , still haven't finished the bike ! And now it really bothers me , I guess if I ever pull the engine out I will do it then. 27 or 28 would be sweet.
Thanks for all that rake,trail,offset info , good to learn that stuff and its effects ! I just know I like it steeper than what it is. Looks cool,runs great,handles just fine,stops really good, guess I'll live with it and ride the crap out of it ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 03/07/17 at 21:10:25

Blue , How do you measure trail ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #26 - 03/07/17 at 21:23:09

Rutly, I think the easiest would be to have you look at this page. (I updated the link to what I think is a better page)

http://bikearama.com/theory/motorcycle-rake-trail-explained/

I have done it by projecting a line down parallel to the fork tube that lines up with the center of the steering stem and mark where that hits the ground.  then drop a vertical down from your axle center.  measure the distance between the two marks.  Calculating it is almost easier (easier to be more exact anyway)

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 03/07/17 at 21:28:40

Blue , Thanks , I will check it out !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #28 - 03/08/17 at 05:52:23

Good information Smokin'. My figures of 28 degrees rake and 3.5 inches of trail are measurements. I took the measurements in several configurations; static unloaded (as that is the industry standard) and static loaded because I wanted to see if adding a rider changed the configuration. To my pleasure I didn't detect any changes between the above configurations (no surprise since my race sag figures are correct). To measure the loaded configuration I took the measurements from my race sag and reproduced them while my bike was held in place with tie-down straps.

Rake was derived using a inclinometer on my iPhone. Trail was measured at the axle using a square and plumb bob.

The shocks on my bike are adjustable in length. with a shock length of 13" is where I get the above rake & trail figures. I did ride the bike with 13.5" shock length and found the steering too light, right at the point of requiring a steering damper. That, and some chain slap on the swingarm during deceleration caused me to choose a shock length of 13". While I had the bike on the stand taking measurements I did note that the rake angle was 27 degrees with a 13.5" shock, confirming your numbers above. I didn't take any trail measurements in that configuration.

« Last Edit: 03/08/17 at 06:58:14 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #29 - 03/08/17 at 06:47:30

Good stuff guys. I'm learning what I need to know. Easier than trial & error. I usually go by feel and what the the bike is telling me. Right now it says give me new tires !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 20:32:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Steering Dampner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.