Send Topic Print
Steering Dampner (Read 387 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Steering Dampner
03/05/17 at 12:25:27

Has anyone installed a steering dampner. Mainly speaking to the cafe builders , if so where do you buy it ? How well does it work. How easy was it to mount ?
What was your bike doing that made you install it ?
Any pics would be cool !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Steering Dampner
Reply #1 - 03/05/17 at 13:25:46

If you get your rake around 27 degrees you may need a dampner. The trail on a cafe conversion is only about 3.75 inches so the steering can get a bit twitchy in turns with less then 28 degrees of rake. I went from 28 to 27 and the steering felt a bit to light to my liking, so I brought it back to 28 degrees. If the bike handled better at 27 degrees I would have considered a damper, but there was no noticeable difference so I put it back to 28.

BTW, that is a static measurement (although I also did a dynamic simulation) of rake. Not knowing your suspension set up I don't know what your suspension does with you on the bike or under compression. My bike says at 28 degrees in both a static and loaded configuration. Under compression there is opportunity for +/- 1 degree of change.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 03/05/17 at 18:51:21

Gary , Stock fork with RYCA lowering kit and a Superbrace and at about 30-31 degrees. 27-28 degrees would be sweet. It's super stable right up to 100. Just was thinking a damper would make it feel even more stable.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 03/05/17 at 19:28:35

A damper would make it feel "weighty". One of the nice things about the cafe conversation is the light and responsive steering. If you find the front end is getting vague, requiring constant correction mid-corner, then a steering damper is needed. Otherwise, leave it alone. At 30-ish degrees (RYCA lists it at 29 degrees) you should be good, unless there is another problem.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 03/05/17 at 19:59:35

Gary , As I heard you say before , I find it very compliant as well as stable and super nimble/light. Not having any issues. I think when I get rid of the dual purpose tires and get some stickies on it it will be perfect !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #5 - 03/05/17 at 22:24:44

Don't waste your money on a steering dampner. I love them and they were needed on some bikes. Years ago Kawasaki sold a stock adjustable dampner for about  $ 40.00  .  Today they are very overpriced.  The way to mount them these days is more complex than the final result would suggest.  The rake of the Savage  is  the steering dampner alone.  In a accident the adjustable shaft in your knee cap  hurts.  The bike will never have the head shaking power  or lean angle to need it.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 03/06/17 at 05:57:54

Ruttley, the dual-purpose tires probably are the source for limited feedback. My experience with dual-purpose tires is that they do nothing well; they will let you down on the trails (can't climb hills and are slick as snot on rocks) and provide spooky handling (no control feedback) on the road.

Hotrod, Ruttley is no longer running with a Savage rake and trail. He's gone from 35 degrees of rake to 30 and trail has gone from 5-3/4" of trail to 3-1/2". Completely different from stock.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/06/17 at 06:17:24

I don't know "exactly" what my rake/trail is....but it is basically RYCA with 13.5" rear shocks, a 2" lower on the front - however I am running  a 90/90-18 front, and that does drop the front down more than the folks running a 100/90-19 or 100/90-18 front.....the 90/90 has a lot shorter sidewalls on the tire.

Because of the narrowness of the clip-on handlebars the bike does feel a bit "stiff" when you want to tell the bike to stop going straight.....my other bikes with wide handlebars are easier to initiate the start of a turn.  I believe the narrow with of the handlebars is part of the stiff feeling......once turned the bike handles fine and it seems to change from one corner to the next well.

The Cafe' bike has never felt unstable, and it can hustle through the corners when asked to do so.  I have never felt the need for a steering damper.  The only time I have ever felt a "wiggle", is under very hard braking on the Dragon.....the bike would do a shimmy when I was braking very hard just before the corner (I don't know if it is fork flex, chassis flex....or the rear wheel being unloaded and scooting around).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 03/06/17 at 06:58:20

Gary , You are so right about the tires,wanted the tracker look,however kinda enjoy sliding around must be the dirt tracker in me! The Kenda k761 is a heavy tire the front took 3 3/4 ounces to balance rear wasn't bad !
Dave , The front is a 100/110 18 & rear 100/120 18
What brand tires are you running ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/06/17 at 07:26:03

My original tires were Pirelli Sport Demons.  It is a very nice performance tire - stick like glue and the rear tire wears out in 6 - 8 thousand miles.

My current tire is the Bridgestone Battlax BT-45.  The rear tire has a strip of harder rubber down the center to allow for more mileage before you get the flat spot down the center.  I like this tire as it can be bought in a 100/80 front size - but I don't like the diamond shape pattern on the front tire, when they get some mileage on them they start to make a buzzing noise when you lean over for a turn.

The Avon Roadrider AM26 comes in sizes that will work - it may be a good tire but may not be as sticky as the above two.  The "Land Speed" folks use these tires as they are available with speed ratings suitable for highs speed record attempts.

The Michelin Pilot Activ now comes in the sizes I use, and it may be the next tire that I try.

Here is the thread on the Cafe' tire discussion - the purpose is to show why you don't want to install a 130/70-18 tire on a rim that is only 2.50" wide.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1435340395/0

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 03/06/17 at 10:27:48

Dave , I think Pirelli makes that same tire in a sport touring that might last longer. I've been looking at 18" tires so it's hard to find a good set that makes sizes for front & rear but I will find some. I remember reading that post you sent the link for. Thanks !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/06/17 at 10:56:10

Ruttly wrote on 03/06/17 at 10:27:48:
Dave , I think Pirelli makes that same tire in a sport touring that might last longer. I've been looking at 18" tires so it's hard to find a good set that makes sizes for front & rear but I will find some. I remember reading that post you sent the link for. Thanks !

I am not aware of any other Pirelli options that can be bought in a matching front/rear tire set.  

If you want the best handling bike and you have the 18x2.15 front rim and a 18.2.50 rear rim - I believe you want a 90/90-18 front tire and a 120/80-18 rear tire.

But.....tires, like oil and underwear are a very personal choice, and you may not like the stuff that works well for me!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 03/06/17 at 12:14:07

Dave , Both rims are the same width & 18" . I'll check the width when I get home. One of my SR500s had Pirelli Phantoms and I really trusted those tires and your someone whose opinions I'm sure I can trust.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 03/06/17 at 12:54:34

The 18" rims sizes keep us from getting the latest tire technology that the sport bikes use cab buy - the best rubber we can get is Sport Touring tires.

That may not be all that bad - as I can get a couple of year of use out of a pair of tires.  I have a friend that can wear out a set of tires on his Ducati Multistrada in a week of riding down in the mountains.

When we are at the Dragon and scraping pegs....it is pretty humbling when a good rider on a good sportbike with sticky rubber can blow by us at twice our speed! (That is about 6 times the speed of most of the Cruisers!  

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 03/06/17 at 13:50:54

I'm going through tire selection right now for my Street Tracker. 99% sure I'm gonna order the Pirelli Sport Demon in 130/80-18 for the rear (3.50 rim) and 100/90-18 front (2.15 rim). I compared these with the Michelin Pilot Activ's and really went through the specs for both. I'm leaning towards the Pirelli's because they are a dual compound (reinforced) tire with a multi-radius profile (rear).

Both the  Sport Demon and Pilot Activ's are touring tires, which is exactly what I run on my other road bikes. The super sticky tires don't last and are finicky about warm-up/temperature.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 18:38:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Steering Dampner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!