Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What did they do with the battery? (Read 146 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
What did they do with the battery?
03/04/17 at 00:30:09

I've been looking through the photo's of bikes in the 'Cafe' section ... holy crap, there is some inspirational stuff in there Smiley

Quick question: Can someone give me a heads up about  the bikes where the battery and the air box are removed. I understand that a cone filter can be fitted to the back of the carb.

What's the story with the battery? Is a smaller battery installed somewhere else on the bike? or, is something else going on?

I'll look it up in more depth later, but just need to know where to start looking!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: What did they do with the battery?
Reply #1 - 03/04/17 at 01:03:12

Some covert to a smaller battery and put it near the swingarm

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/04/17 at 03:18:52

When I built my Cafe' conversion, I built a combination rear fender, battery box, mount for the starter solenoid, ignition module and rear brake light switch.  It took me about 10 hours to make cardboard patterns, cut it out, drill holes, bend it, weld it and paint it.  I use an EarthX lithium battery.....it is incredibly light.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 03/04/17 at 09:02:52

Wow Dave you should sell those , I would buy one ! But then I would have too gut & rewire and then I could derake the frame too , at least another years work.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #4 - 03/04/17 at 09:24:20

My build is in that section under Cafe a la Carte.  But take a look also at the pictures on my website

http://www.street-unique.com/CafealaCarte/CafealaCarte.html

If you look carefully under the swing arm right behind the engine.  That is where mine is.  now mine is not a stock frame but again gives you some ideas.

WWW   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 03/04/17 at 11:53:05

Thanks guys, they look great!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #6 - 03/04/17 at 14:53:23

Dave,
I see you have a funky carb. I'd like one but am probably too lazy to do the work. :'(

I'm really not a fan of CV carbs. Old school you know. Grin

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 03/05/17 at 13:40:47

Dave,
I forgot to mention. Your battery installation looks really great. Nice job! Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #8 - 03/05/17 at 16:01:19

I stuffed mine in the same location as smokin_blue held in with a bolted pressure clip. I'm running an 18ah shorai lithium.

IMG_0041.JPG

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #9 - 03/05/17 at 17:42:39

The battery looks great down there! I plan to keep the bike mostly 'standard' but it would be great to get rid of the battery box and make more room around the carb.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #10 - 03/05/17 at 17:43:56

Does it involve much re-wiring to move the battery to the swingarm?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/05/17 at 18:08:52

Just a phat ground and a phat positive wire connect to the battery. Working from a clearly flawed memory I Think all you have to do is splice into the existing wires.
A good solder gun and some heat shrink.
Cross the stripped ends about half way down the stripped length and twist opposite directions to make the splice straight instead of sticking out the side of the wire. Get the heat shrink tubing On the wire and far enough away from the soldering iron to keep it from drawing down on the wire. There's probably a ton of
How to solder
YouTube videos out there. A proper connection leaves the shape of the strands visible under the solder. You want 60/40 resin core solder and a paste flux. A cheapo 15watt pencil iron isn't gonna do what you want. If you're careful  a little butane powered, ten dollar torch from Lowe's or Home Depot will do it. I usually don't wait for the soldering tip to get hot. I remove it and solder with the open flame, but that doesn't work out if the wind is blowing.
Open flame,on the bike, probably not great..
Sure enough, Not near the battery.
I really don't know the least amount of wattage you'll need to heat the area of the splice quickly enough to get it soldered before the heat wicks up the wire and messes up insulation. I Really like that Weller two stage, lighted gun. The new ones look ugly to me, but if they work and last for years, then okay.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 03/05/17 at 21:38:08

after you move it, you'll find that you have extra wire.
the battery ground goes to the case,
positive goes to the starter relay.

WWW   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 03/05/17 at 23:16:09

Thanks guys, that sounds doable. I'll do some research on soldering and mounting, and add it to my list of mods. Cheers  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:25:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What did they do with the battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.