Send Topic Print
Cam chain installation (Read 285 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Re: Cam chain installation
Reply #15 - 03/05/17 at 07:19:32

Here is pic #2:

My mods were these.  I wanted to put the slot in the plunger rather than in the body.  The plunger is hardeded, so I did have a problem with a small end mill holding up. But it did.

The screw in the  body is an 8-32 Button socket head, allow so equivalent to a Grade 5.  It engages in the slot.

The secondary spring hole (approx. .255 Dia) was drilled down through the existing plunger hole down into the mounting hole.  I then placed the spring in there, and then put a washer which has a beveled edge in flat against the bottom of the plunger hole.  I then drilled and tapped two side holes at a crucial spot so that the cone pointed 6-32 set screws would "lock" on the bevel of the washer.

My real problem was the secondary spring.  I had to experiment to get one strong enough to overcome the strength of the original spring when there was nearly full engagement, but not too strong that would be equivalent to a solid.

Although I had some variations, keep in mind that the basic concepts were already figured out by Mr. Verslagen who deserves the kudos!

Mine_2.JPG

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 03/05/17 at 08:30:34

That's some good looking work.
How Out of Round did you make the hole?
Did you check out a spring from the stock petcock?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 03/05/17 at 08:58:14

Yep, that looks good.

I'll send to you to put the back side spring in.   Cool

what spring did you use?

WWW   IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #18 - 03/05/17 at 14:54:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/05/17 at 08:30:34:
That's some good looking work.
How Out of Round did you make the hole?
Did you check out a spring from the stock petcock?

I tried to determine ovality of mount hole based upon the pics I saw and then tried to use proportion to a known dimension to determine what had been done before.  But, I settled on going .050" out of round but only on the side closest to the "front" of the body.  In my little test fixture, it seemed adequate, but that will be determined by the use in the bike, i.e. just how much does it really need to spring back when the engine cools down, then heats up again?  I am not sure.  However, anything would be better and cause less wear on the cam chain than nothing as the original had!

No I hadn't checked any spring like that.  I had wanted to ask Mr. Verslagen  what he had used and what length he had cut it, but I felt that I might be stepping on his toes and thought that he might be offended if I asked.

What I did was to go to my local Ace hardware, where they have a pretty huge bin full of springs of all sorts of sizes and shapes and uses.  I picked out a handful and then tried each one.  It had to be stronger than the main spring, when the plunger is inserted as far as it needs to go on a new cam chain.  I settled on one at a certain length. I also had to make sure that it didn't "coil bind" - that is squeeze down to where the coils were closed up.

I don't know much about springs in an engineering way, except for the fact that they have a known spring rate.  The spring exerts so much pressure the first inch of travel, then more pressure each subsequent inch.

Also, thanks for the compliment.  I am no one special, I just enjoy doing things for myself just to feel good!  I think that it makes me take more pride in my bike and I certainly feel more pleasurable as I ride.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #19 - 03/05/17 at 14:57:39

verslagen1 wrote on 03/05/17 at 08:58:14:
Yep, that looks good.

I'll send to you to put the back side spring in.   Cool

what spring did you use?

See above response I gave to JOG about spring.  It was no special one but just one I tried from Ace hardware.

I was hoping that you might have a suggestion for one - one that has an exact part number from wherever you get yours, but I didn't feel right asking.

You are the expert!  I am the novice!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 03/05/17 at 15:13:31

I THINK that all that is necessary , at most, is the pitch of a tooth on the tensioner.
That particular idea hasn't been being tested long enough to prove that it increases the miles the cam chain will go before the tensioner is at full extension. It's just an idea Being tested. I plan on giving it a go in about another ten thousand miles. If it's a bust, don't blame Verslagen. No, scratch that... He Agreed that it sounded good.
I think .050 is plenty.

How did you oval the hole?
I have a drill press and an X Y axis rotating vise. I'll hafta pick up a mill bit for that and I don't think the Verslavy Reelthing got was with the Anti-Gut Spitting roll pin, so I will install some kinda stopper.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #21 - 03/05/17 at 15:32:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/05/17 at 15:13:31:
I THINK that all that is necessary , at most, is the pitch of a tooth on the tensioner.
That particular idea hasn't been being tested long enough to prove that it increases the miles the cam chain will go before the tensioner is at full extension. It's just an idea Being tested. I plan on giving it a go in about another ten thousand miles. If it's a bust, don't blame Verslagen. No, scratch that... He Agreed that it sounded good.
I think .050 is plenty.

How did you oval the hole?
I have a drill press and an X Y axis rotating vise. I'll hafta pick up a mill bit for that and I don't think the Verslavy Reelthing got was with the Anti-Gut Spitting roll pin, so I will install some kinda stopper.

I did everything on a CNC Machining center. I programmed it on the computer.  I used a 1/4" end mill, (the hole is .312 or 8mm) and used what is called a helix bore at the location .050 to the right of original center.  It did the rest.

As for whether the spring will help it certainly couldn't hurt.  As long as nothing comes apart!

I plan on putting mine in the bike in a few weeks or so, when I decide to change oil.  I will need to get a new side case gasket before then!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 03/05/17 at 16:40:56

A rough outline of the side cover with an Xacto knife slot where each bolt goes will make keeping the various lengths and which ones have the sealing washer in order.

IP Logged
mkelee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/15/17 at 17:47:04

I appreciate all the help and insight. I was able to get the tensioner on after a few tries and a couple days break. I'm unsure about the timing, so until I get that correct, I've taken the tensioner off. If anyone can help me out with what needs to be in line with what, as far as markings go, that would be great. I haven't found anything on this sight yet, but I'm going to keep looking. I also do not have a manual, otherwise i wouldn't be asking for help on this. Thanks to everyone who has been on this feed, its been keeping me thinking about options.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 03/15/17 at 18:19:06

Engine at TDC, cam lobes away from the lifters, lines on cam gear line up with the top of the head.
If the front of the line is high, that is from the chain stretch. Fine tuning is possible. It's not technically difficult. I just can't remember all of it.

IP Logged
mkelee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 03/15/17 at 20:38:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/15/17 at 18:19:06:
Engine at TDC, cam lobes away from the lifters, lines on cam gear line up with the top of the head.
If the front of the line is high, that is from the chain stretch. Fine tuning is possible. It's not technically difficult. I just can't remember all of it.

This was a huge help. Simple and to the point. Thank you!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 03/15/17 at 20:49:25

Gotta check the crank timing marks inside the left side case plug. Easy to overtighten. Don't.
Hard to get loose. Antisieze is a good idea.
If you're not getting it off , holler back before you goober it up.

Check your marks before you button it up.
I put a breaker bar on the end of the crank.

IP Logged
mkelee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 03/16/17 at 18:43:49

I got it all squared away. Everything is lined up as best as i could get it. Thanks again for tue help. Im just about to torque everything on the top end

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 03/16/17 at 21:05:51

Better to find a drop of oil in a week than a stripped thread today.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:33:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.