Send Topic Print
Cam chain installation (Read 285 times)
mkelee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cam chain installation
03/02/17 at 18:25:19

I am really close to getting my motor back together, i had to wait on a new C Ring for my head, but now its here. The issue im having is getting the cam chain onto the the cam shaft. Does anyone have tips or tricks for getting this done? Thank you o2n advanced!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Cam chain installation
Reply #1 - 03/02/17 at 20:02:26

I had trouble too , just don't force anything ! Read the manual then read it again ! I am unable to explain how.

You have to be smarter than the chain & gear !  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/03/17 at 03:28:27

Don't attach the sprocket to the cam.  You have to get the chain on the lower sprocket, then get the upper sprocket on, then insert the cam into the upper sprocket.  It will take a few tries most likely....as you won't have the timing correct on the first try.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/03/17 at 07:36:35

And the lines on the cam sprocket line up with the top of the head, and the oil pump drive gear Can be installed backwards, easily, and it's not okay to do that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/03/17 at 09:06:13

With a used chain, the forward side will be slightly raised.
Visually check the oil pump gear, it will be mostly engaged.
When reversed, less than half will be engaged.
Also check that you didn't drop the pin by trying to rotate the gear.

WWW   IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 03/03/17 at 12:59:48

This seems to be pretty close to the topic so I will ask.

When a new timing chain has been installed, how far into the cam chain tensioner body does the plunger go? In other words when full extended to properly push against the chain, how much of the plunger is actually in the tensioner body?  Thanks.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 03/03/17 at 20:49:43

Kinda depends on the condition of the guides.
But generally speaking, it's out a lot farther than you'd expect. I got mine from Reelthing with somewhere around 3,000 miles. He had already put a Versy in and had it on the second hole.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/04/17 at 03:22:11

I had my side cover off when the bike only had 1,200 miles on it, and the plunger was out 13mm.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #8 - 03/04/17 at 07:33:18

Dave wrote on 03/04/17 at 03:22:11:
I had my side cover off when the bike only had 1,200 miles on it, and the plunger was out 13mm.

When you say out 13mm, are you referring to the distance from the end of the outer housing (aluminum) out to the first edge of the plunger (largest dia. of plunger) ?  I.e. not out to the hole or someplace like that?

Thanks so much for your reply!  I haven't had mine apart yet, but planning to at the next oil change in approx. 3 weeks, so I am not sure where mine is at all right now!  I purchased it about 5 months ago, with approx 5,600 miles on it, and have put on approx. 2,000 since.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/04/17 at 07:48:02

You should probably just go ahead and get a Versy unless you can do the mods yourself.
With the miles you have and the way it's built, it should go on in easy enough.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #10 - 03/04/17 at 08:06:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/04/17 at 07:48:02:
You should probably just go ahead and get a Versy unless you can do the mods yourself.
With the miles you have and the way it's built, it should go on in easy enough.

Not to undo the Versy, but I actually purchased a new chain adjuster, and did the mods myself on a CNC machine.  

Kudos to Versy for putting in the original thoughts and work to make it better than a new one.  I only made a few changes from his.  I put the slot into the inner slide, and threaded the outer body and use a screw in order to keep the slide from extending itself out of the body.  I admit having a more difficult time in working the extra spring thing, but think I have got it down (maybe).  I didn't want to impose on Mr. Verslager as I know he does the upgrade for a little extra income and I didn't think it fair for me to pick his brain.  I am NOT, however, interested in getting into doing the mods myself in competition with him.  He has a nice thing going and deserves the business!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/04/17 at 10:11:20

The 13mm I measured is the distance from the aluminum body to the end of the smooth/round/machined portion of the plunger....where is begins to taper to make the flat area where the guide bolts on.  At 20mm it is recommended that you do something....as it is about to come apart.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 03/04/17 at 11:26:13

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 03/04/17 at 08:06:23:
Not to undo the Versy, but I actually purchased a new chain adjuster, and did the mods myself on a CNC machine.  

Kudos to Versy for putting in the original thoughts and work to make it better than a new one.  I only made a few changes from his.  I put the slot into the inner slide, and threaded the outer body and use a screw in order to keep the slide from extending itself out of the body.  I admit having a more difficult time in working the extra spring thing, but think I have got it down (maybe).  I didn't want to impose on Mr. Verslager as I know he does the upgrade for a little extra income and I didn't think it fair for me to pick his brain.  I am NOT, however, interested in getting into doing the mods myself in competition with him.  He has a nice thing going and deserves the business!

Cool, love to see your adaptations.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 03/04/17 at 21:49:35

Well, if you're not gonna need the old one, Verslagen might want it.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #14 - 03/05/17 at 07:10:05

Here I go with the pics and some description:

I guess one can only upload one pic per Reply.  This is the whole assy. together.

Mine_1.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:44:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.