Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bad accident, now skipping neutral (Read 123 times)
dschach
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bad accident, now skipping neutral
03/01/17 at 15:30:38

Hey everyone,

I have been following this site for a while but never had the need to post anything important. However a recent event has changed that. I own 2001 Savage and had been having some issues with starting. The local dealership wanted $200 to get it in the door so I figured I would work on it myself. Brought it back to our shop at work and the following picture is what happened.

7000 lb forklift on top of it.

After getting the forklift back in the building and getting a new axle for the trailer I took a look at the bike. bent kickstand, broken clutch handle, bent rear brake pedal, and smashed blinker. Not too bad as far as I can tell. The crankcase has some scratching but no dents or cracks. After cleaning the carb, I fired it up and it ran fine, nothing sounds out of place.

However, I am unable to get it into neutral. The clutch pedal is not bent, and nothing as far as I can tell is a problem externally. Is there a way to tell if I am in 1st or 2nd without opening the transmission? Is it skipping neutral? This happens both when running and when off.

IP Logged
dschach
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bad accident, now skipping neutral
Reply #1 - 03/01/17 at 15:32:57

Here is the photo

problem.JPG
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #2 - 03/01/17 at 15:46:19

That's brutal. You can sit on the bike and you should be able to maybe rock it back and forth a bit to help and maybe let the clutch out a bit while doing so, which should allow you to go up and down through all the gears while stationary with the engine off, then it's just a matter of counting.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 03/01/17 at 16:18:57

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2001-suzuki-savage-650-ls650p/o/m147721#s...

Part #36 on the diagram. The rod between the shift lever on the end of the shaft coming out of the case and the shift pedal. If that rod got bent the bike won't shift right. Common problem.

If the rod is bent you can take it off and straighten it in a vise. Be advised that one end is threaded right hand and the other end is left hand. I can't remember which is which, but it isn't hard to figure out. It works like a turnbuckle - spin the rod one way it gets longer, spin it the other way it gets shorter. It's how you adjust the height of the shift pedal relative to the foot peg. As long as the rod is straight.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 03/01/17 at 19:17:45

Were you trying to lift the bike out of the trailer with the lift and straps ?
Hope no one was hurt ?
Was OSHA notified ?
Just kidding !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 03/01/17 at 19:33:19

If shift shaft is bent even a tiny bit it will be hard to shift and even harder to get neutral !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
dschach
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/02/17 at 07:17:34

Was trying to hoist it into the building and the emergency brake failed. No one was hurt but it sure shook me up.

Checked the shift shaft, it did have a slight bend. Got it pretty darn straight and will let you know if that fixes the problem.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/02/17 at 08:28:32

Rigidity of the shaft is the thing. If it's not straight it flexes and eventually breaks. See if straightening helped, if it did, great, but I would either reinforce the compromised rod or replace it. A piece of brass tubing slipped on it and soldered should be pretty dang stiff, but they are cheap. Depends on what you have laying around,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 03/02/17 at 10:08:57

Shift shaft is splined shaft coming out of engine !

Glad no one was hurt.

Quick change of your shorts I bet !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
dschach
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/02/17 at 12:19:04

So after straightening the shaft I can get it into neutral no problem, but am having difficulties reaching first. Sometimes it will, sometimes it wont. Ordered a new shaft just to be safe.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/02/17 at 13:08:49

Give the rod an adjustment and see how it goes.
The arm should point straight down.
If it's 1 way or the other, you'll have an easy time shifting up and hard time shifting down, or vise versa.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:19:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad accident, now skipping neutral

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.