Send Topic Print
Gas stabilizer (Read 128 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Gas stabilizer
02/26/17 at 11:55:50

Does stabil really work for a year in a tank like a snowblower?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Gas stabilizer
Reply #1 - 02/26/17 at 13:24:00

A lot depends on how the equipment is stored. If the snow blower is kept in a cool garage with a full tank the gas will loose less of it's volatile components. If you are using 10% methanol gas I wouldn't go past 6 months. I have switched over to Sea Foam as a long term stabilizer for my 2 stroke boat and lawn equipment.
 Draining the tank and running the carb dry is your best bet.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 02/26/17 at 13:26:20

rl

A couple years ago I came to the conclusion that " if seafoam will devolve granulated gas deposits ... then it should keep them from forming in the first place " .    So , I started using it in place of  stabil ,   things like the Rototiller that does a lot of sitting and my portable generators seem to agree with the idea .   Wink

All my stored gas get an ounce/gal of seafoam before it comes off the truck .    This is either the fourth or fifth year I've been practicing the idea .   So far , so good !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 02/26/17 at 14:45:33

I've never heard of Seafoam being used as a stabilizer. I think it's mostly kerosene with a few other products thrown in for good measure but I may be wrong.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 02/26/17 at 15:24:33

The seafoam label said it could be used as a stabilizer so I gave it a try
and it has worked so far. Maybe there is a little snake oil in but it seems to work.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #5 - 02/26/17 at 19:47:24

Thanks for the input. I might try the seafoam. Do you think its better to run the tank dry, or use the seafoam?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 02/26/17 at 20:32:55

http://www.sueschauls.com/Seafoam_motor_treatment.pdf

40-60% Pale oil
25-35% Naptha
10-20% Isopropyl Alcohol

I guess it's the alcohol that keeps your fuel "dry". Alcohol and water have an affinity for each other. Naptha is probably a cleaner. Pale oil? Your guess is as good as mine. Probably a carrier so it doesn't evaporate so fast.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 02/27/17 at 00:49:33

Google Pale Oil, apparently it's Napthenic base oil, yellow or straw coloured.Peole use it to make home brew Seafoam, un guaranteed.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/27/17 at 06:22:24

Reelthing has a boat in Galveston. It holds LOTS of gas. He uses Stabil Marine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/27/17 at 10:46:59

http://trufuel50.com/
I use this stuff in my Toro snow blower. No problems. It's 2 stroke, so I use the 50:1 mix. Leave it in the tank all summer (plastic), cranks right up in the winter, 1 or 2 pulls. I use Sta-Bil in the S40, but run it at least once a week all year and keep the tank topped up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 02/27/17 at 15:07:24

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/28/17 at 07:12:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/27/17 at 15:07:24:

Good chemistry lesson. Also, that's the first I've heard of K100. Now I need to get some and try it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 03/01/17 at 15:14:42

I'm happy For you, Dan. It's been too many years since chemistry for me to be able to really track with it, but I knew it was a good explanation for those who had the background to be able to comprehend.
You're gonna be the first, I guess. A gasoline test was done. I don't think K100 was involved.
I thought it was a good study.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/02/17 at 09:11:51

I use Stabil and sometimes Marine Stabil in my mowers, snow blower, and bikes and have not had any problems starting and running after a season of storage.  My 2 cycle Toro snow blower even ran well on two year old gas that had been treated with Stabil.

I got a new John Deere lawn tractor last year and in with the manual was a warning about ethanol fuel, basically they said don't use it if you can avoid it and always use a fuel stabilizer for storage.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #14 - 03/04/17 at 15:46:01

I've heard that the marine version of Stabil is the best to use for longevity through winter.

For me - during the riding season, I have used LUCAS gasoline additive (I buy it by the gallon, and it mixes at 400:1 ratio, so 1 gal. lasts over a year for me - my car, my bike, both my lawnmowers.  On my former bike, I took the two Bing carbs apart after 3 years of running and no maintenance and they were both clean as whistles.  I just run also an inline fuel filter and change it about once every two years.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 18:19:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Gas stabilizer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.