stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
On the road again...
02/24/17 at 13:52:44

Finally, after more than a month of wet weather, then some really cold weather, then being sick for a week and a half, having to spend a few NICE days working on my rental house...I got to get some riding in today!

Still loving the upgraded KAW front pulley too! I am cruising around at 55-60mph in 4th and still not even getting close to needing to shift into 5th.  Caught myself not shifting out of 2nd to 3rd until I was cruising around 45mph. Amazing how such a small change makes the Savage feel like a big boy bike  Cool Cool Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: On the road again...
Reply #1 - 02/25/17 at 02:50:21

Stew:

Glad you are enjoying your new front pulley.  It is amazing that just changing from 23 to a 25 tooth pulley can make the bike so much more relaxed at 60 - 70 mph.  The big single has enough torque to pull the taller gearing with no noticeable loss in acceleration.  (I do have one pulley kit available for sale right now.....I will post it in the Marketplace).

Yesterday it was 77 degrees in northern KY, and at dinnertime it was still 74 and the wife and I took the motorcycle to dinner.......it was the first time we have gone out on the bike in more than 4 months!  We had a cold front come in last night around 9 PM, and some lightning and strong rains - it is now 43 degrees at 5:30 AM, and it is supposed to be down to 26 tonight.  Glad we got to squeeze in one ride this month!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 02/25/17 at 09:01:14

A half hour ride does wonders for the soul in the winter months !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 02/25/17 at 21:19:16

I like the long legs for road trips and every day use , also the GPS Speedometer don't care what the motor is geared like !    Wink

Some time we do Parades and need a walking (Marching-Band)  speed gear .  It would be nice to go the other way with the gearing  ....  

Has any body found a smaller pulley that will work ?

For everyday use I like the 25 tooth pulley best , It gets me across big intersections before I need 2nd gear with ease !  Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 02/26/17 at 15:48:05

Got in another 100+ miles today riding to the next town and back for my niece's birthday, plus a few extra legs on the way back. Really got to stretch out the bike today and I continue to be amazed. I'd say the gearing and performance for my riding style is perfect. Plenty of torque to get up and go with my small frame/weight in any gear. I never feel like it doesn't have the response I need...if I dump the throttle it takes off like a rocket and never looks back. Can't wait to get it to the mountains this year.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/30/17 at 14:51:53

I just wanted to give a quick thanks to Dave and to Stew.

Dave, thanks for the pulley kit. I was thinking that I would have to pull the bolts that need to be replaced and then go to the hardware store to find suitable replacements. But instead you sent me a complete kit with everything I needed (not counting the red thread loctite) to do the job. Thanks.

Stew, thanks for the guide and pictures you posted. This really made the job so easy. The only issue I had was with the belt guard. Not wanting to grind off too much it took me about 8 tries to get it right. Otherwise it was a piece of cake. Thanks.

Dave, back to you again. Thanks for pressuring me to install the pulley before I went to Oklahoma so that I could use my highway legs. I can tell you that at times where the posted speed limit is 75 mph, I rode at 75-80 mph as indicated on my stock speedometer which I understand is an actual 82-88 mph. I couldn't understand why I was getting such horrible mpg. By the way, I went above an indicated 80 mph on occasion and it felt like the bike still had a lot left in it. I just did not feel like finding out how much. Shocked

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #6 - 05/30/17 at 15:46:26

Did Dave supply you with the upper shaft cover bolt and the upper right transmission bolt (replacements with Allen screw heads)?

Update: found the bolts in the box Dave shipped my pulley. Good job I did not throw it away. Complete kit indeed, and great workmanship on the pulley.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/30/17 at 15:55:56

I can't get over 84 indicated, but I have a windshield and bags in the breeze. But I do have a Stage One cam .. and Dyna.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/30/17 at 18:34:26

My engine is stock with a Harley muffler. A couple of times I looked down and was at about 82 and accelerating slowly without having intended to accelerate. I never had the throttle pegged which makes me think the bike still had more to give. I do not have a windshield and my baggage was strapped on the seat behind me. If I ever test it out I'll let you know what it does. Cool

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/30/17 at 18:48:56

springman wrote on 05/30/17 at 14:51:53:
Thanks for pressuring me to install the pulley before I went to Oklahoma so that I could use my highway legs. Shocked

Yep, it would have been a shame to have gone on that long trip without the new gearing!  It really does make the bike a lot nicer at highway speeds!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/30/17 at 19:13:01

I find myself, alone, long empty road, riding along with 65 indicated.. I'm running 70, and it's not wheezing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 05/30/17 at 19:46:27

Yep, it would have been a shame to have gone on that long trip without the new gearing!  It really does make the bike a lot nicer at highway speeds!  

Smiley

Add a GPS to your dash ... You'll get true speed readings and never get lost again !  Wink

I was heasant to get rid of the factory speedo but now  that its gone , I don't know why I ever hesitated  .   Huh

The extra gas is a lot more useful .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:48:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › On the road again...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.