Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Funny "thing" happened to me today... (Read 146 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Funny "thing" happened to me today...
02/23/17 at 21:52:54

My wife and I have this "thing" going on the past 5-6 years.  

In 2011 I picked up a KIA Optima when they first came out.  I got it because I drive 35k-40k miles a year.  I wanted better MPGs than my old car, I wanted something I liked, and I wanted to stay under $30k (because I drive a lot, and I trade them in every 3-4 years.)  

There weren't many Optimas on the road back then.  It looked pretty nice from the factory but not as nice as they could have made it look. So I lowered it just a tad and put some tasteful wheels on it.  It had a nice classy OEM look to it when I was done and I didn't spend all that much on it.

Here's where the "thing" starts.  I was getting compliments and questions 4-5 times a week.  Sometimes multiple times a day.  A lady in a Benz pulls up in a parking  asking me what kind of car I had and the jaw drops when I tell her.  One rather attractive woman walks by me as I'm coming out of the gas station and says "nice car" in a way that made me wonder if she was flirting with me or the car.  She made me blush!

Of course I was very flattered and proud that people thought my car looked good.  And of course my wife (and kids) think I'm ridiculous for feeling this way!  That's the "thing" and I played it up as much as I could with them.  I smile proudly like Old Man Parker did when he got his lamp in The Christmas Story and they all roll their eyes.

These types of things went on pretty strong for a few years until Optimas got more common.  I still get the occasional compliment on my 2015 running the same wheels, but nothing like I was getting in my 2011 and 2013.  And quite frankly, the fun has pretty much died now that my car is getting to be almost as common as a Toyota or Honda.

So today I take my unfinished Savage project, "That 70s Show", out on the town for the first time.  It's not finished, it's more of a rat bike than show bike, but it has that big shiny motor and I like it like I like my car.  Like Old Man Parker likes that lamp!

So I pull into ACE and as I'm walking in an older guy says "What year is that?  72 or 74?"  Then his slightly younger coworker says "That looks nice!"  Of course I'm proud and hell!!  Who wouldn't be? I tell them what it was and I thank them for noticing!  I told them that they just made my day and I was going to go home and tell my wife they liked it!!!

Then, and I'm not making this up, as I'm walking up to my bike, a guy in a mini van pulls up and says "What year is that, a 76?"  I took the long way home and told my wife what happened.  She just laughed at me and rolled her eyes.  

The "thing" is alive and well!  Smiley

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Funny "thing" happened to me today..
Reply #1 - 02/24/17 at 01:53:08

I love that kind of 'thing'. I had my S40 parked at the supermarket in a nearby town. As I came back to the bike there was a senior gentleman admiring the bike. He asked "Is that a Yamaha Boulevard?". I said "Suzuki Boulevard" and smiled. Anyway, he was asking all about it and said "It really is a great looking bike" about three times.

He was amazed it was a 650. I explained what it weighed as well. I said something about what good value they are compared to, say a Harley. I also made a passing comment that many Harley riders "don't like em though". You know , the whole Harley v Japanese metrics thing. He said he used to ride a Harley, and showed me his HD ring.

He stood and admired it for a bit longer, and then walked off, saying again "It REALLY is a nice lookin' bike".

I already know that, but it still put a smile on my face.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Funny "thing" happened to me today...
Reply #2 - 02/24/17 at 02:55:55

Get used to it.......the converted Savage does get a lot of attention and a frequent "Thumbs Up" on the highway.

I have the larger version of your gas tank on my bike (GT550), and that is what throws most folks back to the 70's.

I am working on a tank that will have an early 70's tank badge, and that should confuse them even more1

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #3 - 02/24/17 at 03:22:17

Shocked That tank badge is marvelous!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 02/24/17 at 05:23:44

I went two full riding seasons with my bike unfinished...which kind of gave it a very old "barn find" look. I rode to a couple of bike shows where they just didn't know what to do with me. I usually get directed to part with the Brit bikes. I love the perplexed look peoples face as they try to talk themselves into what they think the bike is.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/24/17 at 05:45:30

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/24/17 at 05:23:44:
I love the perplexed look peoples face as they try to talk themselves into what they think the bike is.

I have had to put my bike in the "Cruiser" class at a couple of shows.....as they didn't have a proper "Cafe'" class, and I am not a Rat Bike or Bobber.....and the bike did start out as a Cruiser.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 02/24/17 at 10:20:00

I went the next step I ground off Suzuki from the engine and polished it.
Either you know or don't know what it is. Every time I stop someone wants to stare at it and then the questions start. It's a pita at a cycle shop ! Takes forever to get outa there! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 02/24/17 at 16:01:42

I don't even get a 2nd look!  :'(

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 02/24/17 at 19:19:22

Don't complain Kris we all like your bike ! The attention is fun til you got to get somewhere , I find it hard to be rude to people who show interest in any of my bikes.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 02/24/17 at 19:45:28

Yeah, we all share a common bond on this site. We all like this bike. We are a rare few. That makes us special.  Wink

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 02/24/17 at 21:12:50

Brothers of different mothers and yes we are special !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/19/17 at 12:27:02

Rode the bike to work yesterday and a funny thing happened twice.  A guy pulls up next to me in the morning asking what year my bike was right as our light was turning green.  I said "a 96" and pulled away and left him with a confused look on his face.   I need to come up with a better answer.  Maybe just say a custom?

Then my boss walked in after lunch and said to make sure my bike was okay.  He said a couple of guys were pulled halfway in the spot next to it but just pulled out when they saw him.  He figured they were just looking at it but check it out just to me sure.  

I think my bike is confusing people because it looks old but the motor looks a little different than the norm for a bike that old.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 04/19/17 at 16:13:03

I'm torn between "No one would steal this bike" and "It wouldn't be very difficult to hot wire it". I guess with the lack of interest in this bike by the general public we are a little lucky.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:20:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Funny "thing" happened to me today...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.