Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabins (Read 1426 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabi
Reply #90 - 04/17/17 at 09:48:45

I've seen that place as we drive past it - I have even checked into getting a room there - the $149 a night rate for the room has stopped any of us from staying there.

And the "Dragon Experience" is somehow just a bit more complete with a mediocre burger and fries at Deals Gap.

Still.....when we are at the Kick Stand Lodge.....the Tapico is not that far away and will be an option - as are the restaurants in Robbinsville.....I especially like The Hub for the great BBQ and burgers.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #91 - 04/17/17 at 17:00:14

OldFeller , your the only "Conasaur" in the bunch ... however I don't want a boiled-hotdog !    Grin

Anywhere is alright ...  Wink     Long as I get a address  to put in the GPS before  I leave Sunday Morning .    ...   I'd rather not go to a $20.oo/plate place if I can get out of it !  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #92 - 04/17/17 at 17:41:35

So Charles is dropping by my house to pick-up a cot (just-in-case we have extra company) then we're headed east .  Smiley , not sure what time for sure we'll be leaving but suspect it will be about 09:00.  

I can take Charles the fun way or the fast way , Kent lives in the area .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #93 - 04/18/17 at 00:50:18

How about this:   I am aiming to hit the cabin around 12:00 to 1:00 to get checked in and get the place all set up and firewooded, etc.  

I will run up the road at 4:00 pm and be sitting at Deals Gap Cafeteria (Dragon Lodge) at 5:00 waiting for you guys to show up, once you arrive we can judge the time and decide what to do.  I will bring me a paperback to read and be having me some casual type luxurious Mt Dew time.   If it is running late and the Dragon Lodge people are getting ready to close we can roll 2.7 miles down the hill on Hwy 129 and eat there.  

If you get delayed until after 6:00 pm, Kent and I will be 2.7 miles down the hill at the Tapco River Grill, 14981 Tapoco Rd, Robbinsville, NC 28771-6885.

Go down the hill from the Dragon on 129 about 2.7 miles, hit the dam over the Cheoah river then cross over the bridge that is right below the dam and LOOK SHARP on the right for the TAPCO RIVER GRILL signs on the right.   It is across the creek on a feeder road.

That little tiny feeder road you take is NC Road 1130 but the Google GPS navigation address for the place is 14981 Tapoco Rd, Robbinsville, NC 28771-6885

Cabin Directions:

Google has Cheoah Point Campground listed as a location and you can find it easily if you are really really really late arriving.    This can happen if you spend some time avoiding major thunderstorms on the ride in.

GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
35.36917, -83.38528
35°22'9"N, 83°23'7"W

Mail Address:
Cheoah Point Campground
1373 Thunderbird Mountain Road
Robbinsville, NC 28771

Directions:
From Robbinsville, North Carolina, continue on Highway 129 north for approximately 6 miles. Turn left on SR # 1145 - Thunderbird Mountain Road. Turn right (north) and continue approximately 1.3 miles on Thunderbird Mountain Road to the Cheoah Point Campground. The cabin is located in the Cheoah Point Campground.  

There are two exits off Hwy 129 (a north and a south) to get on to Thunderbird Mountain Road, if you take the north one next to the boat docks you will turn left (south) on Thunderbird instead of right.

REMEMBER TO STAY ON THE "PARALLEL TO HWY 129" SECTION OF THUNDERBIRD, if you don't stay right next to & parallel to Hwy 129 you got ~73 miles~ of shore line roads to go get yourself lost in.

I will be carrying two phones, the good one is 910-964-2198 and the cheap crappy one on the handlebars is 910-635-0543.    Good Phone 910-964-2198 is running Google Fi and gets service off of 3 carriers and will use any available nearby WiFi signal that Google knows about,  so that is your best bet (remember, mountain areas are notorious for lots of zones with no cell service at all).

« Last Edit: 04/18/17 at 02:03:26 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #94 - 04/18/17 at 02:23:50

Now, let's talk about some new tech type stuff for motorcycle trips.   And yes, the app was written for anxious mothers when their teenagers start driving, so it keeps details about your cell phone use and speeding past the posted speeds.   Incriminating evidence if your wife or the cops got hold of your cell phone, in other words.

https://www.life360.com/

This is an app we could use in areas that have "some sort of cell coverage".    It could definitely work for the various farm type trips, which tend to be the larger trips anyway.

We would all load it on day one, form the "family group" by sharing our numbers, then we could just visually see where our strays got off to once we lost them (or they went and lost themselves).   Then, when the trip was over we could just delete the app.  

Or if we got stopped by a cop.  But don't delude yourself, cops can remote Viper sense your phone number and they have their own Viper system to back track you for history.

Yes, I can think of times this would have been the cat's meow to have .....   finding that hospital where they took Jeb for example.    Or tracking Serenity when he got gone good once and we had to split Lancer and I off to go look for him.   Never did find him ....

Or finding somebody who went off the road at the Dragon .....  (chainsaws jest mournfully a moaning in the night).

« Last Edit: 04/18/17 at 09:08:14 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #95 - 04/18/17 at 06:43:32

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/month/334849?monyr=4/0...

Woke up to MM ringing on both my phones, Mike saying that Kent had called  him that the forecast went ugly on us in the early morning with the period of rain doubling up on us on this upcoming Sunday.

Look at the pic below and see that what has happened is the "shift to the left effect" that I had predicted --- all of the Sunday night rain (which was most of it) is now Sunday day rain.   Sunday night is now cloudy but clear .....  but Sunday in the day flat sucks rocks, some right big 'uns too.

The thunderstorms which have all moved to the daytime constitute only 4 hours worth of 91% chance precipitation involvement, but if you get hit with one it will be a pelter on down on your head seek shelter full bore heavy thunderstorm, not any form of light sprinkle.   And cold too, at 66o or less -- a cold heavy nasty THUNDERSTORM rain.  

A cold front squall line blowing through type of heavy thunderstorm rain.   A SEEK SOME SHELTER kind of rain.

BUT,  HOWEVER ......    REMEMBER,    CHANGE SHE COMES

The rain is still shifting to the left boys, and the next predicted forecast shift, even if it is only half a days worth of shift cuts the rain prediction in half and clears up most of the late afternoon time period when we will be arriving at Robbinsville.

Anyway, riding around on Sunday in the day isn't all that nice any more and some of the group won't be a riding in it at this point in time.  

I predict "the shift to the left" effect continues and at least half our rain goes with it ..... over into Saturday night, giving us a cloudy but rain free Sunday late afternoon which was our original planned arrival time zone.

Nobody is fool enough to be riding up high into the high country on a known thunderstorm day, so all players should plan to come in on Hwy 64 or other low country valley roads and head directly as you can for Robbinsville.  

I'll find us a Robbinsville place to meet and eat starting at 5:00 PM.  

=======================================

There are only two places to eat in Robbinsville that have sheltered spots for you to park your bike.  That is Huddle House and the Hub.   So, since we always eat breakfast at the Huddle House let's plan to meet at the Hub at 5:00 PM.   The Hub is on Hwy 129 just as it hits town and we all know where it is anyway as we always eat there at least once on each trip.

664 Rodney Orr By Pass (alias Hwy 129) Robbinsville, NC 28771-6801    OPEN UNTIL 8:00 PM

Roll Eyes

Remember to click on the Screenshot link directly below this line of text to see the full sized readable info
« Last Edit: 04/18/17 at 09:06:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Screenshot_at_2017-04-18_09-45-46.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #96 - 04/19/17 at 04:57:23

THE PREDICTION:

BUT,  HOWEVER ......    REMEMBER,    CHANGE SHE COMES

The rain is still shifting to the left boys, and the next predicted forecast shift, even if it is only half a days worth of shift cuts the rain prediction in half and clears up most of the late afternoon time period when we will be arriving at Robbinsville.

So, this morning Carnac the Magnificent predicts a half day shift in the rain and Vola !!!  the terrified bunny comes exactly half way out of the hat all kicking and squealing --- exactly half way up exactly as predicted.

....... the poor bunny is terrified, it can see them desiccated rabbit balls hanging off of MM's bike and it wants nothing to do with MM or with the rain on Sunday ......

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

Let's see if anybody else remembers how 'ol Johnny Carson did it .....

Gentlemen, what are your budding magical powers telling you that will actually occur as the rain moves on over to into Saturday and Friday night ?????

Can you raise the bunny up completely out of the hat and give us back the good weather again ??

2ndScreenshot_at_2017-04-19_07-31-35.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #97 - 04/19/17 at 05:03:58

Now we got half of the Sunday rain shifted to Saturday, so can one of you guys Carnac away the other half of the Sunday daytime rain?

.... a 15% chance of .2" of rain on Sunday, surely you guys can handle predicting that away without having to even needing to put the big red Carnac hat on.

..... remember to click on the screenshot link below this line so you can see just how little rain you still have to predict away .....

Screenshot_at_2017-04-19_07-31-35.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #98 - 04/19/17 at 09:05:53

I wish I saw this sooner.

--Steve

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #99 - 04/19/17 at 11:15:29

Steve, we have a rack spot with your name on ---- it all you have to do is bring a bed roll and some sort of pad or air mattress.

.... and I do believe MM is bringing a spare cot for the overflow person who generally comes at the last minute.

Izzat you this time, Steve?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #100 - 04/19/17 at 22:45:07

OK

The HUB at 5pm , 17:00 sounds good .   I've got a Froger rain suit , and had thoughts about trailering my bike and the wing ... will a Old Wing fit on a 8' trailer ?   I'll ask Charles ..  Huh

The weather forcast changes every day ???  Roll Eyes

But the Hub at 17:00 hrs can be the one solid factor !  Wink

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #101 - 04/20/17 at 02:32:31

Grin

Yup, it do.    

Current batch of forecasts now shows more rain on Saturday now than on Sunday, and that move to the left will continue to do the shift thing over the next two days.

I am betting that my brand new rain suit stays in the zippered bag over the entire trip.

« Last Edit: 04/20/17 at 10:36:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #102 - 04/20/17 at 02:35:11

MMRanch wrote on 04/19/17 at 22:45:07:
OK

The HUB at 5pm , 17:00 sounds good .  

But the Hub at 17:00 hrs can be the one solid factor !  Wink

Hey MM......don't forget about the change in time zones! Grin

You need to add an hour to your Lynchburg time!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #103 - 04/20/17 at 02:59:24

Is that why he is always late?    He always told Lancer and me it "took a lot longer because the roads aren't straight".

Wink

If he is hauling, then he's bringing lawn chairs and a cooler plumb full of victuals, I betcha .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #104 - 04/20/17 at 09:20:46

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/month/334849?monyr=4/0...

Carnac the Magnificent strikes again !!!!

As you can see, the rain has shifted forward three days now.  Thursday and Friday and Saturday now have consistently decreasing amounts and DECREASING odds of some very SPORATIC rain activity .....  your nasty heavy thunderstorm events will all be on Thursday night and Friday now with Saturday tapering off to nuttin' for much and Sunday being even less so.

Screenshot_at_2017-04-20_12-09-182.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:30:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabins

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.