Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print
Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabins (Read 1426 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabi
Reply #75 - 03/31/17 at 07:46:57

I didn't head for home when it started raining when I was a kid. As long as it's not cold, wet and fun works for me. Rain gear gets carried for just such times. If I can't ride in a shower, I'm not prepared. Yes, Martha, I've seen rain that was so vicious that wipers couldn't keep up. Time to find shelter...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #76 - 03/31/17 at 19:55:47

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/month/334849?monyr=4/0...

Updated forecast, it got all better on Sunday and Monday, Tuesday is still occasionally a bit weepy at times for the trip back home.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #77 - 04/04/17 at 19:48:16

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/month/334849?monyr=4/0...

Look quick, forecast at 3 weeks out is back to flawless on all days again .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #78 - 04/04/17 at 20:59:04

Smiley

first Three Day ride of the year !!!  Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #79 - 04/11/17 at 06:39:00

We are inside two weeks out and the forecast is doing the daily minor shuffle now, but worst seen so far is some mild occasional showers on Tuesday.   And we know the rain will shift both days and severity as we get in closer .....

MM, I tried to call you and got a "voice mailbox is not set up yet" error.    Can you PM me a good phone number please so I can give you a call?    

Trying to call me is a crap shoot because I work third shift and sleep during the day, so a good number for me to try to call you is best.   I generally am awake 3-5 in the afternoons to eat dinner with my wife, then I go back to sleep until 9:45 in time to go back to work.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #80 - 04/11/17 at 09:19:35

Back to being all scrumptious and near perfect again ......

YEHAW !!!!

Screenshot_at_2017-04-11_12-15-30.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #81 - 04/11/17 at 21:03:33

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #82 - 04/12/17 at 19:48:12

So that any late deciding attenders can find us on Sunday (arrival day) we will be eating dinner at 5:00 at the Dragon Lodge as it is a place that EVERYBODY can find.

I will get hold of the cabin earlier that afternoon then tootle on up to the Dragon Lodge to meet the Tennessee guys coming over the hill.

Stray Thought, is the Dragon Lodge eatery even open that early in the year on Sunday afternoons (dead day Sundays) .... ????

« Last Edit: 04/13/17 at 19:10:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #83 - 04/12/17 at 21:22:43

?
If they are not open we can still meet there and then go down to Robbinville to dine .   I hope they are open , the Dragon Burger is better than just plain Ham-burger !  Wink

Our second evening I'd like to put some boneless, skinless , chicken on the grill ...  Roll Eyes ... I've been thinking "BBQ Chicken" ever-since we started planning this ride !  Tongue

What ya want to go with it ?

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #84 - 04/15/17 at 02:02:34

I'm easy, you're the cookie monster so you get to pick.

I feel like a weather predictor, so I say the move to the left continues and our "potential thunderstorms" roll on back to Saturday during the course of next week.

Hey, let's see who is better, me or the weather prediction programs.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #85 - 04/15/17 at 04:10:53

Bear grease in a jar. Instant weather information. Now, getting your hands on it is your problem.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bear+grease+weather&oq=bear+grease+we&aqs=chr...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #86 - 04/15/17 at 07:02:11

I called Deals Gap Lodge (what we used to call the Dragon Lodge, but somebody else has registered the name now and the Deals Gap people can't use it any more) and yes they do serve a burger up until 6:00 PM on Sunday night.

..... but don't be late because they cut it all off and shut the doors promptly at 6:00 PM Sunday evening.

And I am reminded again why I jest can't summon a lot of love for the Dragon Lodge (or Deals Gap Lodge or whatever the heck they call it this year as it gets sold again and again and again and again).

« Last Edit: 04/16/17 at 14:14:10 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #87 - 04/16/17 at 04:56:35

The Very Occasional Thunderstorm type rain is still moving off  to the left, only currently exists on Sunday and will likely move on over to Saturday by our arrival day  (I hope, I hope, I do .....)    DURATION AND % CHANCE IS DROPPING, BUT THE SUNDAY FORECAST STAYS ABOUT THE SAME AT 6 DAYS OUT.

Got the first part of packing started, got my val pack, drugs and skin rash kit all packed and stowed away.   Got my spare bike keys cut for the new bike, got my inflator kit, spare charger cables, extension cord all squared away.   Got all 3 gas tanks topped off.

Got my cheap little handle bar cell phone all de-crudded and a fresh Google map of the travel area downloaded.   Put a fresh charge on the cordless ear buds, checked that blue tooth pairing was still good.  Put MM's lead bullets in the bottom of a saddle bag along with a wood block for a kickstand hits the soft dirt bike support thingie.   Stuffed 3 packs of matches in various spots so at least one would survive dry in a rain storm.

OFF spray and sunscreen.  Spare riding gloves and a toboggan.  Prep up a cool weather riding jacket.

Still to do, load rest of spare clothes,  put the carry bag and the bed roll, camping chair and the half axe into position and tie them down good with bungee cords.

Morning of, call up the route map, plug the phone into bike handlebar USB port, set up the blue tooth earphones, put on helmet and jacket and GO .....

NO gas stops needed, just a pee break or two.   6 hours, roughly.  Leave at dawn, arrive in time to check into the cabin at 1:00, set up the air bed, take a nap, cruise the lake area some then go up to the Dragon area at 5:00 pm to meet the boys.

If you plan to sit somewhere comfortable and talk a bit, then we need to plan to eat in Robbinsville or Tapco as about the time we could finish choking down a Dragon burger they will be showing us the door.

« Last Edit: 04/17/17 at 03:09:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #88 - 04/16/17 at 08:47:54

Hope you all have great weather , enjoy and ride safe ! Wish I was able to attend. Someday I will.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #89 - 04/17/17 at 01:58:51

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g49483-d8057773-Reviews-Tapoco_...

Go down the hill from the Dragon on 129 about 2.7 miles, hit the dam over the Cheoah river then cross over the bridge that is right below the dam and LOOK SHARP on the right for the TAPCO RIVER GRILL signs on the right.   It is across the creek on a feeder road.

That little tiny feeder road you take is NC road 1130 but the Google GPS navigation address for the place is 14981 Tapoco Rd, Robbinsville, NC 28771-6885

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g49483-d8057773-Reviews-Tapoco_...

This place is right on the Otter Branch Creek, has Excellent to Very Good ratings, serves a much better menu including steaks, salads, brick oven pizza and various Ruben type sandwiches and burgers (as opposed to the Dragon Lodge place which only gets Average ratings and only serves a generic burger) AND THIS PLACE STAYS OPEN UNTIL 8:00 PM ON THE SUNDAY IN QUESTION.  This is where the locals eat.   This is a real gastropub style eatery complete with scenery.

Seating is inside, and outside and creekside.  This is a place where we will have enough time to eat, and then we can talk a bit over a map while sipping tea, etc.    They even have fire pits down by the creek that they light at night if you ask them to.   (it might be a bit too cold and messy this upcoming Sunday night unless the weather shifts over a day to the left again)

We have never eaten here before, rode right on past it dozens of times and never knew it was there.   Oggling the dam, I suspect.   Or I ignored it as a "rich people's condo" which is what it kinda looks like from the road.   Look at the pic right above this and you can see MM riding on by in the background across the creek on Hwy 129,  jest a burning it to Robbinsville jest as fast as he can go.

“Excellence ALL THE WAY / but closed in deep winter, so check if open before going”

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2017

My wife and I happened upon this jewel of a restaurant just driving random roads in the fall, enjoying the color changes. I said, hey, this is cute, and this could be our lunch spot (as nothing else was anywhere around that we knew of). So we pulled in to check it out. Very nice inn and cabins, very historic as well. Went downstairs to the grill. They were having OctoberFest. The special menu had homemade (huge) pretzels with beer cheese, and a whole smoked hog (pulled meat) plate, we I got the hog and we got the pretzels as an appetizer, and my wife got this huge (regular item) burger.
The service was fantastic, the place was clean and the food was amazing. We are definitely coming back. They are closed in the deep winter though. So check for being open before you jaunt over there.
They have a brick oven for pizzas and stuff.....outdoor seating on the river and also indoor seating as well.
Excellent hidden Tennessee gem!!!!

Jeffrey

YOU TOO COULD COME ON THIS PREPAID FREE TRIP AS WE STILL HAVE AN EMPTY BED IN THE 6 MAN CABIN.

« Last Edit: 04/18/17 at 00:54:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:20:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabins

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.