Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabins (Read 1426 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabi
Reply #60 - 03/20/17 at 23:06:10

Brand new to him 750 Gxxer, huh, -- my favorite Gxxer, btw --- he's got good taste.   130-140 hp generally speaking when Power Commander is installed, not 120 hp unless it is a really really really older version which is still PLENTY of bike to spread yourself around with (very thinly, no less).   The Gixxer 600's make 120 hp bone stock now-a-days.

He will definitely come just so he can spank my butt good a couple of times before he runs off to play with the Gxxer crowd and commits ritual seppuku up on the Dragon again.

Somebody needs to bring a car & trailer, a truck or some other form of recover-the-broken-Gixxer-and-rider-back-to-Lynchburg vehicle as I am biking it in this time.
Bring some lawn chairs when you come.   Hey, with two uncles present, they are mebbe enough to POUND some sense into Jed if need be.  

Actually, Jed was actually good enough to spank me the first time around, except I kept cheating creatively to keep him behind me  (for his own good, of course).

When he declares, tell me and I will list him.

I will also tell him the campfire story about "the mournful chainsaw sounds in the middle of the night" which is the ghost of the Gixxer Guy which still does haunt the Dragon area, you know.   MM, we were there, staying at the Dragon Lodge on the day he became one with the tree tops.

« Last Edit: 03/21/17 at 11:52:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #61 - 03/20/17 at 23:09:47

THESE EVENTS ARE IN PLANNING AND DISCUSSION RIGHT UP TO THE GO DAY -- THE CONCRETE HAS NOT SET COMPLETELY YET UNTIL IT IS OVER.     I am still plugging in names as people show interest, this gives us a tool for seeing who is really going plus the folks who are going can start the refinement process on dates and activities.

So far we got the following in the rough order of doing them.   Adding something is easy, talk it up some, put a firm date to it and we will see if folks are interested by if they sign up for it.

Santeetlah Lake Exploratory Trip   April 23, 24, 26   Charles,  Kent,  Jeb,  MM,  Oldfeller

This is a free trip.    Six Man Cabin has been reserved by prepaying for two nights.    We still have some floor space open in the cabin.   Bring bed roll pillow and air mattress.  Trip is now open to CMA riders and "other group" riders that you can personally vouch for.   We are staying in a six man log cabin on the lake itself kinda near the junction of Tapco Rd (Dragon road) and the Cherohola Skyway -- north of Robbinsville, NC.

DIRECTIONS
From Robbinsville, North Carolina, continue on Highway 129 north for approximately 6 miles. Turn left on SR # 1145 - then bear right on Thunderbird Mountain Road. Continue approximately 1.3 miles on Thunderbird Mountain Road to the Cheoah Point Campground. The cabin is located in the Cheoah Point Campground.

Lancer Oklahoma trip    extended to 19-28 May   Lancer,  Kenny G,  MM,  Springman,  Verslagen,  Justin

Kickstand Lodge   June 13-18    Dave,  Oldfeller,  MM,  Stewmills,  RaleighGuy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZGNOB5m5Ro&t=166s
http://kickstandlodge.com/rates.html
From here it is a short hop up to the Dragon, and to all the really neat surrounding roads we love to ride.    For East Coast beginners, this is one of the closest (and the BEST) Southeastern trip possible.   Some have argued the area is the BEST BIKING IN AMERICA and I might have to agree with them.  

Indian Paintbrush Campground in Ty Denver  Late July  NEED FIRM DATES   Verslagen,  Springman,  old.indian, Thumperclone

MM's farm     Sept 8, 9 & 10    MM,  Oldfeller,  Dave,  Lancer,  StewMills

And here is a tool to use in locating some no cost camping when travelling to get to the rides:

https://freecampsites.net

« Last Edit: 03/21/17 at 08:57:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #62 - 03/21/17 at 08:34:16

I will also tell him the campfire story about "the mournful chainsaw sounds in the middle of the night" which is the ghost of the Gixxer Guy which still does haunt the Dragon area, you know.   MM, we were there, staying at the Dragon Lodge on the day he became one with the tree tops.  

, Cool   Jed's can't be more than a few years old ... it's got the original tire , and looks pertedy .  Shocked

Chainsaw , I thought that meant : Versey is in a Horizontal position scaring the Road-Gremlins off  ???    Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 03/21/17 at 08:38:27

I thought that was me, echo magnifying the chainsaw sounds inside Dave's trailer.

Don't forget the recovery-back-to-Lynchburg vehicle and them lawn chairs ......   If we have places to sit down a campfire becomes much more interesting to do in the evenings .....  bring some charcoal, starter and matches too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #64 - 03/21/17 at 09:18:26

I'm thinking :   If Jed does show-up for the ride over there to just tell him there ain't no recovery vehicle and we'll have to call his Dad/Mom if he need an alt.ride home.   Then he won't do nothing crazy.   I'll pack a chair and suggest to Charles he do the same.  Wink  

Last time he was a kid in a candy store !!!  Shocked

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #65 - 03/21/17 at 10:00:35

MMRanch wrote on 03/21/17 at 09:18:26:
Last time he was a kid in a candy store !!!  Shocked

I betcha' Jed hasn't lost his sweet tooth yet. Wink

You fellas better stuff a banana in his tailpipe and get him down to 50 HP or less!

« Last Edit: 03/21/17 at 11:30:12 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #66 - 03/21/17 at 11:19:29

vrrrrrummm ......  POOOOoooooot ...... vrrrrrummm    <splat>     Shocked

....  sounds of a pressure ejected banana flying across the parking lot from the uptilted Gixxer exhaust can and splash impacting one of his uncles in the helmet visor.

oops ---- MM doesn't use a face plate or a visor, sorry .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #67 - 03/21/17 at 21:08:37

Oh , he definitely still has a sweet tooth !   I don't know what a GSX-R750 cost but I suspect it was upward toward $8,000.oo .    

Its probably a good bet he don't want to follow around a bunch of "sight-seers on cruisers anyway.    Roll Eyes

All he knows so far is that we'll be in the Santeetlah lake area Monday and Tuesday the 24th and 25th.   He has a regular job (welder) and just bought his first house , etc .   His crazy cousin on his moms side is the sport bike influence in his life , I tried to direct him toward a LS-650 ...  Huh

Well , I hope I don't have a serving of Banana pudding before April is over , but I didn't want to "Story" to the young feller and say " Lips Sealed  We-ain't going NO-Where--- Why do you ask  Undecided "     Could be he's looking to blow the wheels off a 1100 cc Honda that he didn't/couldn't catch last time ... I'll tell him it is SOLD and see if he looks disappointed ?  Grin

So far I'm bringing :
a sleeping bag
a chair in a bag
a over night bag
cooking tweezers
a bag of charcoal
a big pack of boneless , skinless chicken breast
BBQ sauce
maybe a cot and a tent (just in case).  I don't want to be homeless ...  Wink
The back seat is about full , but  I usually forget something  ... ?

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #68 - 03/22/17 at 12:41:25

We are a month out ......

Weather still looks sterling .....         http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/month/334849?monyr=4/0...

Beds are approaching full up, need possibly to list one more person in case Jed doesn't stay with us.   We can spot one overflow to the floor easily  (or else find two close relatives who will share the large queen sized bed w/out challenge to their masculinity in which case we still got 6 rack spaces available).

Beyond this, overflow is possible -- we pitch a tent on the gravel pad next to the picnic table.

Remember to bring a sleeping bag, pillow, air mattress or pad, a nice warm fuzzy blanket and your warm fuzzy long johns -- 42o at night outside but 5-6 adult bodies does generate some heat that takes the edge off the chillness inside.

..... remember you can click on the screenshot line immediately below this to see an enlarged version of the weather map
« Last Edit: 03/24/17 at 17:15:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Screenshot_at_2017-03-22_15-33-38.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #69 - 03/27/17 at 09:36:47

Another week goes by ...... we are now inside the real 30 days out now so the detail levels shown on the forecasts are beginning to develop now.

Forecast accuracy isn't very good this far out, so expect it to change some as we get closer in.

Past years have occasionally shown a shift to the left, generally speaking, that takes about 5-6 days to roll the forecast to the left one day's worth.   Plus the weather patterns strengthen or wane, causing severity of predicted weather to shift.

Hard experience says it rains at least once on every trip, and most times we can avoid localized rain by heading away from it.

But getting wet isn't fatal, really.

..... remember you can click on the screenshot line immediately below this to see an enlarged version of the weather map
« Last Edit: 03/27/17 at 11:18:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20170324_193507248.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #70 - 03/27/17 at 12:12:15

But getting wet isn't fatal, really.

And I thought Everyone had seen
The Wizard of Oz..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #71 - 03/27/17 at 13:43:37

Roll Eyes      .... I'm melting .....  I'm melting .....  Auuuugh !!!!    You are a wicked wicked little Justin .......   oooooooh ......

Undecided

That was used mop water, which is known to be toxic even in Oz .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #72 - 03/27/17 at 17:27:47

Wicked,, Yep. That's me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #73 - 03/27/17 at 18:46:13

Oh , Yea

Things to bring list :
A rainsuit  ,  Double check that I have a good one !  

I tend to get really slow on wet roads.   Even more so on the heavy bike , so I think if we find rain in one direction we should go the other direction.
Cheesy     Even to the point of Pulling a "U" turn  , or declaring "it must be dinner time" .   Wink

This is the first day I haven't got a long ride in (rain all afternoon), did get a trip to town this morning  Smiley.

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #74 - 03/31/17 at 04:36:06

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/month/334849?monyr=4/0...

Now we are 23 days out and approaching a real forecast of sorts.    

As we have said before, realistically we get rained on a little bit on every trip -- but we also read the daily reports to see the amount predicted and the "hours of rain".    Thunder storm amounts of a quarter inch or less and rain hours of approximately 2 hours total in a day is something we can live with by directional avoidance and "time to eat lunch or dinner" techniques.

Steady overcast and rain is a different sort of animal, with that you simply can't avoid getting wet on those sorts of days.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:19:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabins

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.