Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabins (Read 1426 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabi
Reply #30 - 03/06/17 at 01:28:18

Guys, it is time to start saying you are coming and it is time for MM to start plugging in his CMA buddies to fill that pre-paid free 6 man cabin up.

Failure to see at least somebody signing up for all those empty beds this week means week after next I take the reluctant action to cancel the reservation and get the majority of the money back (unless there is some .gov gotcha that gets me).

Signing up for a free trip is easy, you just post in this thread that you are coming and say when you plan to show up.   Arrival times between 1:00 and 5:00 are best as we tend to run down to Robinsville for dinner after 5:00 with us exploring around the lake complex and the little town a wee bit between 1:00 and 5:00 but dropping back by the cabin to pick up latecomers periodically.  

At dinner we tend to plan out the next day's trip sitting at some place that gives us free WIFI and refills on our tea while we cogitate.

Likely we will also go consult the HUGE map on the shower station wall at Simple Life a wee bit too.   Simple Life is still good for that use, anyway, and it is only 3-4 miles away from our 6 man cabin at Santeetlah Lake.

« Last Edit: 03/08/17 at 02:44:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 03/08/17 at 18:26:32

Sign up, sign up ...   time is a wasting.    70 degrees outside today, 75-80 degrees by weeks end.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #32 - 03/08/17 at 21:26:33

Smiley

OK ,  

One of my CMA buds is going to be a my house Saturday --- I'll see if he want to go .    

I'll ask the rest of them as I see them.

I suspect my bud with the old Goldwing will want to go.  

We are 6 weeks out , and some folks just don't plan that far ahead , but I agree ... Its time to start putting it all together !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 03/09/17 at 01:16:17

MM, as they become real SIGN THEM UP BY NAME so we can keep track of the beds.

Suzuki Savage people, if you continue to screw around long enough then the four remaining beds will be all taken .....  by CMA people who are not afraid of an early spring mountain trip.

And that is a wee little bit sad to me.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 03/09/17 at 04:03:58

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/09/17 at 01:16:17:
Suzuki Savage people, if you continue to screw around long enough then the four remaining beds will be all taken .....  by CMA people who are not afraid of an early spring mountain trip.

The trip appears to be scheduled for a Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed span.....that doesn't work well for those of use with the 9-5 Mon through Friday jobs.
(I am saving my vacation days for use when the weather is a bit warmer!........Just sayin.)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #35 - 03/09/17 at 09:07:38

Now , OldFeller ...

The two people that I'm thinking are most likely to "BREAK-FREE" and "Take their Bikes for a Three-Day-Cruise " ---- they are Flat-Landers".  

And you know what that means !!!   (you got be be on your ...  Roll Eyes ...

MILD-Behavior .   Wink      
OR
Just wait on us at the intersections ...  Grin

will be all taken .....  by CMA people who are not afraid of an early spring mountain trip.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 03/09/17 at 18:22:31

I will be riding on a Barcalounger cruising along in fourth gear, so I will fit right in.   Until I have to pass something, anyway ....     Roll Eyes

Seriously, we are two weeks away from the ending of the refund window so we need to get some extra takers or the cabin itself may get derailed.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #37 - 03/10/17 at 08:06:48

OldFeller

My Old Gold Wing buddy is in with us.  (Charles)  Smiley

I'll get to checking on the rest of them  .   Cheesy

Of course Charles is the only one who don't punch a time clock ,
so ....

Lets review whats on our agenda :

We'll be right next to the Skyway , so thats a given .
We'll be right next to the Dragon also so likewise .
That river road that runs at the bottom of the skyway was a good ride.
I don't exactly remember how to get on it but "Waya" road is a really good ride.
Hwy 28 and lunch at Dragon central is a must "Do" ,  Wink

I'm sure I'm leaving out some of the best stuff ,  

That little road that Lancer found that wound up the mountain and turned to gravel on the back side is one of the coolest roads I think I've ever seen !  ...  Kinda like the switch-back street in San-Francisco on STEROIDS .   I'm OK with not going down the back-side unless they have "Tar-and-Chipped" it  .    Roll Eyes

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 03/10/17 at 09:34:57

Mike, we got us a Santeetlah trip with 3 people .....    and you can still bring your wife if you want to trailer in a bike.     Tell her about the little "pretty mountain tourist town that got stuck out in the middle of the lake" and give her the car and let her go shopping there and in Robbinsville.   If you bring your wife you get the adult sized rack in the privacy room and we rig up a sheet door between the two so she can get dressed, etc.   She can also bail early if she wants to, taking the car and the empty trailer and riding home.

We are not going tearing anyway, I have a bigger bike that isn't really suitable for peg dragging and this is a casual sort of trip anyhoo.    

Charles is welcome as is whomever else wishes to come.    Bring long johns to sleep in and a fuzzy blanket in addition to your bag as it drops to 42 something at night and that requires some extra warm for comfortable sleeping and you will need your winter riding jacket and gloves for early on in the mornings.

Huddle House in Robbinsville sounds like Breakfast/Planning time to me.   Refills on coffee and wifi provided for searching and route setting.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/month/334849?monyr=4/0...

Weather jest plain looks beautiful .....

Screenshot_at_2017-03-10_12-25-28_001.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #39 - 03/10/17 at 10:46:46

That Weather report is "amazing"   ,  

No , with weather like that I'm ridding the bike .  

Wife is not going to want to go ... unless  I leave the bike at home , but I can take her back anytime for a middle of the week thing .... its just right over the hill from the house (kinda )  Roll Eyes

Charles has had one of the 1100cc wings for ---  Huh  --- ever ----  
He has kept it up good and he rides good but still the floorboards drag and its a lot happier on the super slab running 75 than on a mountain road .   Charles is about 6'2" and 250 lbs , so the wing fits him good and he's comfey with it.   He's got a YoSemmiey Sam mustash and  is always grinning about something , really easy to get along with kinda guy.
I think my Sportster is the only "Bike" in our CMA group , the rest are two or three wheeled cars ...  Grin

I'll see if Kent want to join us too !  Wink

Here is a picture of Charles on my Savage from one of the Scavenger hunts :

Charles__and_Savage_001.jpg

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 03/10/17 at 11:57:09

Tell each of them to invite a friend .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #41 - 03/10/17 at 17:48:50

Howdy folks...long time away....but I am back.....Whaat are the date for the Dragon area ride....Oldfeller, will ya let me ride with you all??? )
If it the week of April 17th...I can do it.

T

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 03/10/17 at 19:01:36

Hey Toymaker, welcome back !!!

I now ride a Barcalounger which is the Suzuki version of the Kawachunkie.   Go up to the stickies at the top of the Cafe and you will find ALL the rides for 2017.

The one we are talking about now is this one.    It will be kinda confusing to you up at the sticky thread because folks are simo-talking about 5-6 different rides all at the same time.  This next one goes off on April 23 and only lasts a short 2 nights, but it is a FREE TRIP as in all cabin costs are already covered.

As always, you have to post a commitment to attend or else your bed space goes back into the pot for the next person.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 03/10/17 at 19:05:12

Santeetlah Lake Exploratory Trip   April 23, 24, 26  
Oldfeller,  MM,  Charles,  Toymaker,  Kent

This is a free trip.    Cabin has been reserved and paid for.   What is missing are the rest of the Savage.com people that are interested in the ride.   We still have 2 bed slots open (Toymaker hasn't posted yet).  Trip is now opened to MM's CMA rider friends and any other friends that you can vouch for.   Speaky speaky, don't be squeaky.   Fill them beds on up ..... if we overflow we will set up a tent

I'm kinda interested in the whole lake complex -- for a federal facility they seem to have their heads on straight as far as having 3 managed campgrounds, five (5) Ranger Stations and still having all those dozens of free "open to the first taker" camping places that we have been spotting on already.

I am curious as to if it is "by the person" or "by the tent space" at the three full service campgrounds?   We could make us some cost advantage using a big tent if it is by the tent space.   I also want to know if there is a shower at one of the payme campgrounds in the complex.   Yes, see below.

So, we are proposing April 23, 24, 26 ???  

I found another free site with a toilet facility.   It is actually on the Cherohola Skyway side of Santeetlah Lake.  https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recreation/horseriding-camping/recarea/...

I also see mention of 2 cabins that you can put up to six people into each at a cost of $35 per cabin a night.  That is dirt cheap compared to where we have been staying.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/cheoah-point-cabin-2/r/campgroundDetails.d...     YES, there is an open to all campers shower facility 150 feet from Cabin #1 (and Cabin #2, but slightly further away).   You can book this place on line, makes it easy to do.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recreation/horseriding-camping/recarea/...     Here is another map that shows the town with a satellite shot.

Costs     FREE PRIMITIVE campsites, Campground based tent sites $15 per night first come first serve; $20 per night for RV sites; $35 per night for cabins that hold six (plus a tent on the gravel fire pad if you need overflow).

Next, there is a tiny little town actually out in the lake that is named Santeetlah, apparently it was a town in the area before the lake was filled in and wound up with water on three sides out on a peninsula.   It is still a tiny incorporated town made up mostly of rich people's lake homes that is showing up on the map above.

Yes, we can spend some time poking around and find a range from free to cheap and we may actually maybe find someplace worth calling "home base" for a group run.

(Dave is going to want to go now, as he is deeply suspicious of "free to nearly free", but he won't turn down a decent place with a shower and a roof over his head -- just no barking dogs, please)

I bet these two cabin places gets booked up a year in advance on the summer weekends.   Weekdays, not so likely.    Roll Eyes

Cabin #2 - there is room for an additional small tent if you want but it can not be set up on the grass (only within the gravel pad). So it does make the eating area a bit cramped. Nice view of the lake but a longer walk to your car and the bathroom.    I also see a fire pit and firewood .....

« Last Edit: 03/11/17 at 09:59:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #44 - 03/10/17 at 21:23:23

ToyMaker ...  Smiley ... Welcome back  !   I missed ya !  We got some "Catching-up to do "  Wink

Hay , if ya can do the 23-25th (April) with us that would be GREAT !

If the 17th - ??? , is all ya got , then I might need to make a Dragon run sometime during the week , so we can have lunch at the corner of NC-28 & US-129

OldFeller ,

I talked to Kent this evening ... go ahead and add him to our list and if I need to bring a tent and/or  a cot then ... so-be-it !    

If need be we can get the 20# bag of charcoal and the family pack of Skinless-boneless-Chicken Breast !     Heck ! - I'm thinking we might have to throw-in a couple of those pork loins / sliced-up into 1" thick boneless pork-chops to add to the grill .... we're going to need the big bottle of BBQ sauce .  Tongue

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 06:46:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabins

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.