Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decompression solenoid use on Ryca"s (Read 137 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Decompression solenoid use on Ryca"s
02/21/17 at 18:16:32

When using the Ryca low profile fuel tank is there room for the solenoid,or must a manual decomp be used?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re:  Decompression solenoid use on Ryca"s
Reply #1 - 02/21/17 at 21:44:33

Rycas tank has no room for it. I saw a tracker model with it still in place and they had front of the tank way up to clear it , it looked like crap !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 02/21/17 at 21:46:59

Ya know you can mount it somewhere else and just make a new cable for it from a bicycle cable !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/22/17 at 05:24:37

I pushed/bent the top of my bracket in towards the center of the bike when I put my GT185 tank on.  Works perfect.  

Not sure if it will work for a Ryca tank, but Ill take a picture of it sometime in the next couple of days and post it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/22/17 at 05:43:09

batman wrote on 02/21/17 at 18:16:32:
When using the Ryca low profile fuel tank is there room for the solenoid,or must a manual decomp be used?

No, as others have mentioned the tank is cut and lowered, and RYCA includes a lever that you can use your left hand to manually release the compression.

And we did have one forum member (Jeff71) that relocated his solenoid and made a new longer cable using bicycle brake cable parts.  (Should be in the Bike Build section).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 02/22/17 at 06:59:31

And this debate goes on and on....but you don't need the DecompSol. I rarely use it and I can't think of a single time I got stuck on the compression stroke. I would make a simple lever right on the decomp valve that you could toggle that one time a year that you may need to.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/22/17 at 07:07:38

I actually love the thing.  Press the button and the motor spins up fast for easy starts.  I'd keep it if reasonably possible, but plenty of guys on here do fine without.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/22/17 at 07:09:17

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/22/17 at 06:59:31:
And this debate goes on and on....but you don't need the DecompSol. I rarely use it and I can't think of a single time I got stuck on the compression stroke.

It well could be that with a strong battery and a stock 8.5:1 piston....and if you don't ride in freezing weather - you could get by without the decompression release.

My engine has a 95mm Wiseco with 10.5:1 compression, and I can start it for weeks and never have a problem - but every now and then the piston will stop on the compression stroke - and the starter is not strong enough to push the higher compression piston up and over TDC, and I have to use my manual release to get the bike started.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #8 - 02/22/17 at 07:23:39

Mine started up just fine without the decomp even after it had been sitting for about 3 weeks in temps that were highs around 30 degrees.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 02/22/17 at 12:42:13

First off thank all of you for your replies ,I don't have nor,do I intend to use a Ryca kit ,but I had an idea pop into my head (brain fart? ) and thought I might run it by those that do.I have no proof that any of this is possible .but here goes.........Ryca claims that not using the solenoid saves weight ,and in the case of using the hand lever this is quite true ,but you must bypass the  clutch switch to free your hand. this may not be good if you forgot to put the bike in neutral and it pitches forward off the stand,and both your hands are not on the bars.It might also be a pain if the bike were to stall in traffic and you were forced to shift into neutral restart,and shift back into gear.The second way Ryca uses to decomp is the foot lever and linkage,I'm not liking this because it really should be on the right side of the bike,much like the old kick starters,so your left foot would remain on the ground with the side stand keeping the bike stable.the linkage has been reported to have broken ,and it hangs out in front where it could be damaged and in my opinion ,looks awful . the cost adds $100 to the price of the kit, and takes away from weight savings .          My thought if possible is to use the space left in the tank by the stock speedo to insert the decomp solenoid with the cable side down (may have to drill small holes through the backbone of the frame for the cable)and hook to the decomp lever as normal,run power through a kill switch ,and  a push botton switch near the left hand bar controls ( on late model bike the flash to pass switch might be used). In this way both feet can remain on the ground and both hands on the bars for control, and most of the downsides listed above eliminated .

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 02/22/17 at 12:59:45

Have you looked at Jeff71's build yet?

He relocated his solenoid to an area just ahead of the shocks, and he made a new cable using bicycle brake cable parts:

http://myrycabuild.weebly.com/uploads/4/8/2/8/48285041/5518463_orig.jpg

http://myrycabuild.weebly.com/uploads/4/8/2/8/48285041/4215474_orig.jpg

And I agree with all of your comments about what you need to do if you stall the bike in traffic - I made a handlebar mounted lever that I can reach with my index finger....I can pull in the clutch with my other 3 fingers and use the index finger for the compression release.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #11 - 02/22/17 at 13:09:44

batman wrote on 02/22/17 at 12:42:13:
this may not be good if you forgot to put the bike in neutral and it pitches forward off the stand,and both your hands are not on the bars.

You can modify the wiring fairly easily to keep the starter from working if the neutral light isn't powered.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 02/22/17 at 16:23:02

Dave,missed that one ,another way to go with Ryca!      Bston ,I have no history with a Ryca,and in fact have never seen one, my bike is stock except for the clutch switch being bypassed only do to it failing and not replaced due to my habit of always pulling in the lever before starting.You stated that the wiring could be run so that the starter couldn't run without the neutral light being on,but wouldn't this still force you to shift into neutral if you stalled at a light?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 02/22/17 at 18:17:54

Yup that is true

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 02/23/17 at 17:33:30

I just thought that with a little Yankey engineering,a switch or two and some wire ,it maybe a low cost alternative to what Ryca offers now,a feasibility study as it were ,with some advantages ,but not one to be pursued by me.If for any reason it cannot be done,take two aspirin, and don't call me in the morning! Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:31:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decompression solenoid use on Ryca"s

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.