Send Topic Print
Muffler (Read 152 times)
OngMy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muffler
02/18/17 at 06:45:24

I am new to the S40-ten days. I would like to put a quieter muffler on it. What works for that?

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Re: Muffler
Reply #1 - 02/18/17 at 06:48:12

What kind of muffler does it have right now??

Most folks find the original mufflers are quite quiet.

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #2 - 02/18/17 at 06:51:26

OngMy wrote on 02/18/17 at 06:45:24:
I am new to the S40-ten days. I would like to put a quieter muffler on it. What works for that?

I am now somewhat new to the forum, as about 4-5 months ago and it was completely stock (I think).

Coming from the BMW world, I am used to QUIET as I ride and I still do like quiet.  The stock muffler on my Savage (2011), to me, is too quiet.  I recently found a Dyna muffler, and am hoping I get a little more sound, but not real loud, just deeper.  I haven't installed it yet so I don't know if I will like it, but will soon get going on that project.

I think you would be happy with the original stock muffler.

Where are you located?

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 02/18/17 at 09:46:51

Cone Engineering has a really good stainless muffler, that is pretty quiet but still has some low rumble.  It is also priced very well at about $130.
It does not come with a mount bracket so you would need to buy one from them and have it welded, priced about $15 I think.  This enables you to place it place it however you need it.

I had one of these mufflers on a S40 I had a few years ago and the sound level was very pleasant when riding.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 02/18/17 at 13:20:58

The Harley dyna muffler is a bit louder than stock,gives you a bit better performance,but is much quieter than a gutted or high performance muffler ,and can be found at a more reasonable cost.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #5 - 02/18/17 at 14:14:18

batman wrote on 02/18/17 at 13:20:58:
The Harley dyna muffler is a bit louder than stock,gives you a bit better performance,but is much quieter than a gutted or high performance muffler ,and can be found at a more reasonable cost.

Not to mention that it doesn't look like a cannon like the factory muffler.  It's also several pounds lighter. Wink

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #6 - 02/18/17 at 21:07:01

Mate, get that Dyna on there ... you'll love it!

I didn't want a "hey, I'm here now" or "hey, I'm leaving now" kind of muffler. Just something that sounded a bit more like an actual motorbike. The Dyna fits the bill perfectly. It's deeper and comes alive on the throttle - and on decel for that matter. And you can still here the thumper doing its thing. You can even still here the speedo cable whirring, for what that's worth Smiley

The Dyna is perfect for someone who wants something better, but not too loud ... and, it looks a billion times better than the stock muffler.

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 02/18/17 at 06:51:26:
OngMy wrote on 02/18/17 at 06:45:24:

I am now somewhat new to the forum, as about 4-5 months ago and it was completely stock (I think).

Coming from the BMW world, I am used to QUIET as I ride and I still do like quiet.  The stock muffler on my Savage (2011), to me, is too quiet.  I recently found a Dyna muffler, and am hoping I get a little more sound, but not real loud, just deeper.  I haven't installed it yet so I don't know if I will like it, but will soon get going on that project.

I think you would be happy with the original stock muffler.

Where are you located?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #7 - 02/19/17 at 07:16:04

I can't wait to get my Dyna on (only cost me $5), but for now, with the good weather, I would rather ride.  I will have to machine an adapter, I am sure, and even some mounting parts.  Then . . . re-jetting - my biggest fear!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 02/19/17 at 07:26:51

Do not fear jetting , embrace it. You will learn how your carb works and how to repair it. It will be a education and plenty here to help you with it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 02/19/17 at 19:39:58

Before I rejetted my bike I had never opened a carb before. I had it taken out, rejetted and put back together in less than an hour. It's not near as complicated as it may sound at first.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/19/17 at 22:25:02

Kris01 wrote on 02/19/17 at 19:39:58:
Before I rejetted my bike I had never opened a carb before. I had it taken out, rejetted and put back together in less than an hour. It's not near as complicated as it may sound at first.

The hardest part is fitting it between the two rubber
'tubes' after you've put it back together!

« Last Edit: 02/20/17 at 07:12:56 by buster6315 »  
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 02/20/17 at 17:53:21

Yeah, 10 minutes to take it apart and rejet. 50 minutes getting the thing back between the rubber tubes.  Shocked Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #12 - 02/20/17 at 23:52:45

I re-jetted with the carb in place.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 02/21/17 at 08:02:38

IslandRoad wrote on 02/20/17 at 23:52:45:
I re-jetted with the carb in place.

That's the easy way, IF you can get the bowl off and not screw up the screws. I'd be hitting it with penetrating oil for a few days and getting a screwdriver tip fitting solid in them before I started, then replace them with SS Allen head, and get allen wrenches with the wobble groove cut in them and use Antisieze .
A bottle of it lasts for years, even using it on every spark plug and in every place you seriously don't want to see bolts become one with what they are screwed into.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 02/21/17 at 08:48:53

It is possible to remove hoses and throttle cable from the carb and loosen the clamps ,and spin the carp 90 degrees,rather than remove it from the intake .However it doesn't hold it as firmly as it would ,say between wood blocks in a vise,so may not work well if any of the cover screws/float bowl screws are difficult to remove.If you have not opened the carb before or have not replaced the screws with hex heads I would not try this method at first.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:27:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.