Send Topic Print
To the tech savvy (Read 86 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
To the tech savvy
02/16/17 at 08:55:45

I have some ideas about what the end of Net Neutrality could bring, but I know how little I really know about these things, so, if someone who has some understanding would please venture over to the Tall Table and indulge in a question and answer, strictly on NN, not about the evils of one party or another, just answer a few questions or point to where answers are to be found, answers that aren't a load of spin and BS.
I don't want to be against something that would be good or for something that I'll regret supporting.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Re: To the tech savvy
Reply #1 - 02/17/17 at 13:44:29

While I am no expert, I do try to say politically alert.

My understanding as I have heard some analysts, is that Net Neutrality will ultimately be where some over-riding body of people will determine that anything that is spoken over the net will also have to be offset by supposedly opposite opinions.

Of course, this is prime to become where the power struggle will be - to get control of the oversight board to insure that one's own opinion will be the dominant one and the opponent's will be considered not suitable.

A good example of a bureaucrat's view, was John Kerry's belief that the government should control whose views can be spoken and whose shouldn't.  He had evaluated an opponent's view as "not educated" and therefore should be controlled.  I think at the time, he was referring to those who deny global warming.  

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #2 - 02/17/17 at 14:36:35

net neu·tral·i·ty
noun
the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites.

Bare bones definition minus any political slant.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #3 - 02/18/17 at 07:04:13

SALB wrote on 02/17/17 at 14:36:35:
net neu·tral·i·ty
noun
the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites.

Yea, but who monitors and says what is "neutral"?  With this type of legislation, you will ultimately get the opposite of your definition in practice.  Just look at what the oversite of radio has done, and what they still are trying to do to control who says what!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 02/18/17 at 08:58:35

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 02/18/17 at 07:04:13:
SALB wrote on 02/17/17 at 14:36:35:
net neu·tral·i·ty
noun

Yea, but who monitors and says what is "neutral"?  With this type of legislation, you will ultimately get the opposite of your definition in practice.  Just look at what the oversite of radio has done, and what they still are trying to do to control who says what!

the owners of the source...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #5 - 02/18/17 at 09:12:13

In a true "neutral" environment, no one "monitors" anything.  This whole thing started a couple of years ago when T Mobile was selectively reducing data speed on sites such as Hulu and Net Flix, making them impossible to use, while allowing full speed data to other sites and apps.  Since then, it has become a chaotic mess with pundits from both sides blurring the simple truth.  Angry

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 02/18/17 at 12:37:59

There's reason to limit bits, bytes, gigagbytes, or whatever..
If you're the provider and someone wants a website, like this one, the cost to the provide a site like this isn't much, but a site that is transmitting a high data stream to potentially a thousand oor more places might cost them tooo much to survive. I DON'T KNOW the particulars of how it works. I can't have much of an opinion with such limited understanding.
The Only Thing I can go on is,
I've SEEN government change rules.
I always get screwed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #7 - 02/18/17 at 15:26:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/18/17 at 12:37:59:
There's reason to limit bits, bytes, gigagbytes, or whatever..
If you're the provider and someone wants a website, like this one, the cost to the provide a site like this isn't much, but a site that is transmitting a high data stream to potentially a thousand oor more places might cost them tooo much to survive. I DON'T KNOW the particulars of how it works. I can't have much of an opinion with such limited understanding.
The Only Thing I can go on is,
I've SEEN government change rules.
I always get screwed.

While true, most of that is built into the pricing of the plans.  But if you pay for a certain speed, and unlimited data, the provider does not have the right to pick and choose which sites will be delivered at what speeds.  In other words, they can't let YouTube stream at HD speeds, while reducing NetFlix speeds to the point it won't work.

Also, I'm not sure what you're interest is, but it seems all kinds of things have been added to legislation that really have no connection to the core issue.  That, my friend, is a discussion for the Tall Table, where you won't hear a word from me. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 02/18/17 at 17:01:56

I don't have to have a dog in the fight to want things to be fair and equitable. I don't want anyone to be victimized. I want to understand what is being done, even if it doesn't affect me individually.
In my opening statement, I asked for people to bring it to the TT, and it won't be about politics, but net neutrality, what to expect, how things work, like buying a plan and the provider KNOWS going in what they will be expected to deliver.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:19:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › To the tech savvy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.