Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie here, possible new savage owner (Read 82 times)
Greenantix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbie here, possible new savage owner
02/13/17 at 17:24:31

Hello,
I found you guys because my local dealer has a savage for sale that I'm interested in buying.  I have been riding off road my whole life, and have only owned one on road bike.  My wife won't allow me to spend Harley money but I'm looking for something comfortable for summer commuting to work. I live in a rural area on the oregon coast.  I found this savage here listed at 1500$ but thinking I can talk them down to around 1200$. Looks to be in pristine condition for a 1999 to me!  I already read your newbie sticker posts and the usual culprits for troubles are nothing beyond my mechanicing capabilities thus far!  Looking forward to possibly becoming a permanent forum stalker with you guys.

DSCN4685.jpg
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Newbie here, possible new savage owner
Reply #1 - 02/13/17 at 17:56:41

Looks great to be so old. This bike is a blast to ride. We always welcome new members. Pull the trigger!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 02/13/17 at 19:08:19

How many miles, what's the rear tyre brand?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 02/13/17 at 19:33:34

here it run! look at the tires date stamp ,four numbers (wk and yr of manufactor) if they're 4-5 yrs old make them put on new ones. good luck!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 02/13/17 at 19:40:25

How many miles, what's the rear tyre brand?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 02/13/17 at 22:23:39

It might do no harm to see if you can get a test ride of 10 to 15 miles, with or without the salesperson. This will warm up the bike. When you get back get the sales person to hold the bike upright and have a look in the oil window on the rear right lower side of the crankcase cover see if the oil is semi clear, brown or black and ensure the level is between the two marks. Does the dealer have the handbook and service record book? As far as tyres go, the Shinko 712 140/90 15 rear is popular on this site regarding value for money. You can of course fit fancier ones. My experience of the stock IRC 130/80 rear is not good, they find every patch in blacktop and don't inspire confidence in the wet. The rear wheel has a marked tendency to lock up under heavy braking, be very aware of this. JOG has a solution for this in one of his posts.

« Last Edit: 02/13/17 at 23:51:19 by jcstokes »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/14/17 at 03:40:03

You didn't mention the mileage on the bike......over 10,000 and it is time to look at the cam chain tensioner and see how far it is extended.

Ditto on the tire stamp.....you will see a 4 digit number that is stamped in the tire - it will look different than the rest of the numbers that are molded into the tire.  The first 2 digits are the week of the year the tire was made, then last two digits are the year.  Your front tire appears to be the origiinal brand....if so it could say something like 2498 on it - which would mean it was made in 1998.  You should consider replacing tires once they get older than 5 years....as they are getting hard and losing some of the traction they used to have.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/14/17 at 08:09:44

He forgot how to find us.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #8 - 02/17/17 at 13:22:39

My purchase of used bike had a new IRC on the rear, and probably the original IRC on the front.  I am not fond of them as I am used to tires that seem to grip the road and wet road better.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:29:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie here, possible new savage owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.