Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Orville Dam Spillway to Fail soon! (Read 195 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Orville Dam Spillway to Fail soon!
02/12/17 at 18:11:10

Oroville , CA Mandatory evacuation  below dam and downstream
Emergency spillway at Oroville Dam to Fail within the next few hours
Yeah our drought is over !
If it fails several cities are doomed , the lake level will drop 30 to 40 ft , we  may have a major disaster on our hands !
Scarey $hit happening in CA

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Re: Orville Dam Spillway to Fail soon!
Reply #1 - 02/13/17 at 08:08:00

Johnstown PA type scary $hit

Good luck to you out there

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 02/13/17 at 08:46:06

Good luck to you all in that area.

On the lighter side of things. Put some pontoons on the Savage and get her ready. Wink

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 02/13/17 at 10:15:38

It's 150 miles north, I'm out of harms way ! But when they evac 188,000 people I guess it's a real issue ! Better safe than dead !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 02/13/17 at 10:23:54

I looked at some pictures and I don't quite understand.  Is it the spill way, the dam, or both that is going to fail?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/13/17 at 10:32:24

I just got back from that area......I am not surprised you are having excess water problems.

A friend called me and said they were going skiing at South Lake Tahoe, and they had extra room in their condo.  He said that the area got 24 feet of snowfall in January....and the skiing would be great.  I had not been skiing in 11 years.....so I went.

We arrived last Monday.......and the "Pineapple Express" blew in and brought us 4 days of rain and wind.  We got 2-3 inches of rain everyday and the weather reports claimed the lower part of the mountains were getting 40-50 mph winds - with up to 150 mph winds at the summit.  We got a few hours of skiing in a light rain/snow and stiff winds on Monday....after that the rain and winds were so strong that most of the lifts were closed.  We must have gotten a foot of rain, and watched about 3 feet of snow melt and flow away.  When we first arrived the porch railing in this photo was buried in snow.....3 days later is was almost completely uncovered.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/13/17 at 11:28:58

Scary. We're all hoping for the best. Here's some video taken from an aircraft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2YHGR3kVLk

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #7 - 02/13/17 at 11:40:27

Family used to live in Quincy / Feather river area. Still have family along the Sacramento river..... Shirt-tail relative has a ski shop in Squaw Valley.....  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #8 - 02/13/17 at 11:56:32

pg wrote on 02/13/17 at 10:23:54:
I looked at some pictures and I don't quite understand.  Is it the spill way, the dam, or both that is going to fail?

Best regards,

From what I've been reading, it's the spillway that would fail. The dam itself is embedded in the bedrock. That said, the spillway supposedly holds back something like 30+ feet of water so it would still be catastrophic.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/13/17 at 12:18:07

I believe there are 3 current issues.

1)  On the normal spillway, a section of concrete that is at the bottom third of the concrete flume washed out - so now the water is splashing out of the flume and washing away a huge amount of soil.

2)  The normal spillway cannot flow as much water out of the reservoir as is coming in.....so the water was beginning to flow out over the emergency spillway.  The emergency spillway has never been used before, and there is concern that the heavy flow will erode a large amount of soil - they were scrambling to remove trees and vegetation (and electric towers) out of the path of the flow - so that they would not be washed downstream and clog the channel.

3)  There is evidently a hole developing in the dam at the emergency spillway, and it could compromise the stability of the dam in the upper area at the emergency spillway.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 02/13/17 at 12:27:17

PG , Last weeks heavy rains required water release , so they opened main spillway that created a huge sink hole in the spillway. Whole time our second largest lake was filling at 9" an hour so they let the lake fill and run over the emergency spillway. A spillway that has never been used ever , in 48 years since it was built. Water coming over the spillway eroded under the structure and was going to fail. Last I heard was they are flying in boulders to fill the hole and shore up the damaged area. If it fails lake will lower 30 to 40 feet. Dam is ok just both spillways are damaged !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 02/13/17 at 14:10:44

I have family in the Oroville.
Pray that the spillways do to break down.
If they did the water pressure on the dam itself will be enormous.
In WW2 there were bombers that were outfitted with a special bomb that would skip on the water when released a very low altitude, like a torpedo.
They were trying to destroy the dams in Germany .
The would target the spillway, and with that destroyed the water moving forward to the new exit was put all that water pressure against the dam itself and cause the dam to fail.  Not sure if this would happen at Oroville but it is a concern.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 02/13/17 at 18:17:30

Break your enemies back , destroy the dams , flooded and no fresh water makes it hard to do anything !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 02/13/17 at 19:13:45

Hope they have a good place to stay evac may continue till after next volley of storms roll thru !
Rain expected Thursday , Friday , Saturday , Monday , Tuesday not big storms but 5 in a row !!! They are lowering lake level by 50 feet now and filling in area by emergency spillway.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 02/14/17 at 19:17:55

They lifted the evac order today , but a lot of people aren't leaving the shelters , the smarter half of the population  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:24:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Orville Dam Spillway to Fail soon!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.