Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Normal carbon buildup?? (Read 282 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Normal carbon buildup??
Reply #30 - 02/13/17 at 11:45:40

I can't add much but that looks like an awful lot of carbon for 6000 miles!

I hope my piston doesn't look like that. I have about 5000 on mine. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #31 - 02/13/17 at 16:21:33

Question: Is the pic of the spark plug on page one of this thread indicative of a rich mix, or is the rich mix diagnosis based on the piston carbon build up?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #32 - 02/13/17 at 16:40:00

Not clear about something. You had said you 'shaved the spacer down to 2/3 it's original thickness'. Does that mean the needle is sitting lower than it was originally?
I'd def pull the valves, clean up the heads on a wire wheel, and decarbonize the head. Considering how wonky this thing has been running, it wouldn't be a bad idea to lap the valves in with a bit of valve grinding compound.
Are you swapping out the piston or rings?
I'd def give the cylinder a hone with a Flex Hone and some honing oil. There are some god break-in oils out there, def use one and DO NOT break in with synthetic. There is a whole voodoo to proper break-in if you'd like the rings to seat. If you want, I'll write it all up.
My 2 cents.
-Armen
PS, the plug tells me it is running hot, based on how clean the porcelain is and how much crud there is everywhere else. The plug is so hot it is burning off all that kaka. First I'd get the oil situation under control, then I'd get the jetting sorted out, then I'd take plug readings seriously.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 02/13/17 at 17:47:02

So much wonderful input. Thank you all.

Someone asked why I was using 5w-40. This post is why: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

I'll be putting some form of mesh in the breather tube hole. Cylinder is being honed, and the carbon being cleaned off. The guy didn't have walnuts, but will use some sort of buff thing to get the major stuff off.

Thanks for the heads up on non-synthetic for break in.

Jetting: I'm gonna start by stepping down the pilot, and go from there.

Spark plug: Its the stock plug. Should I replace this with a colder plug? What benefit does cold vs. hot give me?

Needle shaving: I took the original plastic spacer, and sandpapered it down to about 2/3 original thickness. So the needle sits higher. I also shaved off a very small amount of the pointy tip of the needle (not my brightest idea :/ )

Once I get the head back, I can look into pulling the valves.

And I am replacing the piston with the high compression one from Lancer.

2012 Savage: dyna American custom, Raptor petcock, Elev: 200ft 55, 147.5, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #34 - 02/13/17 at 20:31:04

You should get a new needle for the carb (and don't play with it! the needle is shaped to work with the needle jet! their a matched pair)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 02/14/17 at 03:54:25

jwenrich wrote on 02/13/17 at 17:47:02:
I'll be putting some form of mesh in the breather tube hole.

Spark plug: Its the stock plug. Should I replace this with a colder plug? What benefit does cold vs. hot give me?

You should buy the stock oil breather mesh from Suzuki - part #11186-24B02.  It is only $ 8.50 and you know it will work like it is supposed to.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/suzuki/11186-24b02/b1035292?m=1475...

You should use the stock plug heat range - there is no reason to mess around with hotter/colder plugs.  You should jet the bike to run properly.....then the stock heat range plug will work just fine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:43:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Normal carbon buildup??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.