Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Normal carbon buildup?? (Read 282 times)
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Normal carbon buildup??
Reply #15 - 02/12/17 at 17:47:01

Exhaust. Had an earlier leak, replaced the head gasket. Maybe still leaking?

20170212_173622-1.jpg

2012 Savage: dyna American custom, Raptor petcock, Elev: 200ft 55, 147.5, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #16 - 02/12/17 at 19:21:02

This is kinda like trying to smell rotten eggs over the telephone, but here goes:
If the bike is 'all stock'.
These bikes are known to run very lean, and therefor pretty hot. I've seen more than a few blue their head pipes back to the muffler. To make the pollution gods happy, the bikes are jetted lean in the lower ranges, which is where most folks ride.
I know everyone has their own idea of a good time, but I would never run 5-40 oil in an air-cooled bike unless I was living at the North Pole.
A combination of thin oil and a hot running air-cooled motor means the oil thins out and is more likely to sneak past the rings.
Which makes me think that the carbon is oil, not fuel. If, as you said the bike is stock, and has not been rejected way too rich.
The combination of the clean porcelain on the plug and the build up of crap on the side electrode makes me think that the bike is running hot (as stockers do) and is burning oil.
How was oil consumption?

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 02/12/17 at 19:28:27

Hmm good thoughts to keep in mind. I do a lot of longer distance 60-70 mph riding. It's possible it could be oil, but I haven't noticed drastic drops in oil levels. Although I haven't been checking it all the time either...

What do you think I should run? 5w-30? Lower?

2012 Savage: dyna American custom, Raptor petcock, Elev: 200ft 55, 147.5, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #18 - 02/12/17 at 19:31:41

Lower is thinner. So, if the 5-40 is sneaking past the rings, the 5-30 would be blasting past them. In my bikes I run 10-40 in the winter and 15-50 or 20-50 in the summer.
I know there are some folks on the forum with very different ideas, and I respect them, just saying what I run.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/12/17 at 19:33:48

Ah right. May look into filling this round with a higher number oil. Thanks!

Do I need to look into getting valves cleaned up?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 02/12/17 at 19:39:18

Arman, I think you may be on to something. What bothers me ,is the jetting, a 55 idle jet may be over the top (rich) at his 200 ft. ele.The 145 main may be running hot(lean) for anything above idle,and he made no mention of a spacer mod. 5w-40 could thin to 3-4w in a hot engine,and flow by the rings.Rotella (dino) 15w -40 might be a better choise for oil,and you really need to rejet the carb,a 3/4 -1/2 spacer mod,and a 150 -152.5 main at least.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 02/12/17 at 19:45:27

I'll be adjusting the jets, and will try lowering the pilot.  I shaved the spacer down to about 2/3 original thickness. So I'm hearing fill with 10w50, or something close and go from there? Not sure I want to do this teardown just to check anytime soon though :/

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 02/12/17 at 19:59:30

Jwenrich, was your header pipe turning blue? that could be an indication of either to lean (usual) or to rich(rarely the case).

IP Logged
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/12/17 at 20:00:56

Not blue, just some gradual golding.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #24 - 02/12/17 at 20:02:30

Should the intake valves be that black (rich) while the exhaust valves are that white (lean)? I know the exhaust runs cleaner due to heat but that looks like a huge temperature swing to me. You're definitely burning too much of something.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 02/12/17 at 20:12:16

jwenrich wrote on 02/12/17 at 17:02:18:
Different rotation

Stock  plug.

Where is your breather routed?  To the air box?  If so, you may want to vent it to the atmosphere instead.  Various riders in other groups say venting the breather to the air box causes your carbon build up.

IP Logged
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 02/12/17 at 20:17:19

Yeah the breather runs to the airbox. Also, upon cracking it open, no mesh was present before the breather tube Sad

Could lack of a mesh filter contribute to this? Do I need a tiny filter thing on the end of the breather hose?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #27 - 02/12/17 at 22:27:26

I'd replace the mess in the cover it helps the oil drop out and return to the sump,I would think without it an unwanted amount of oil is being drawn in by the carb and adding to your carbon buildup .

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 02/12/17 at 22:39:31

General consensus on the packed mesh is it gives oil vapor something to smash into , condense and drip back to the crankcase. If it's not there, And the vent tube goes to the intake, that sounds like a recipe for carbon in the cylinder.
And oil consumption.
I wonder if a scrubby pad for pots would shove in there..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 02/13/17 at 04:16:52

I believe you have this condition based on several factors.  (1) You have been running the engine with too big of a pilot jet....a #52.5 or #50 is plenty for a bike with a stock air box.  (2) If somebody took the mesh out of the head....you are getting too much oil vapor from the vent tube.  Leave the vent tube where it is in the air cleaner housing....it works well when the mesh is in the head where it is supposed to be.  (3) Your choice of oil is too thin - why not use the 15W-40 Rotella T that this forum recommends for the Savage?

If it was my bike....I would leave the cylinder head together, take a plastic bag and tape and seal up everything but the combustion chamber part of the head, and have somebody blast it with walnut shells to remove the carbon....walnut shells are not abrasive and will not alter the smooth finish of the aluminum like glass beads or sand would.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:35:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Normal carbon buildup??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.