Send Topic Print
Rim/Wheel Color (Read 60 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Rim/Wheel Color
02/11/17 at 11:15:54

It's time to order hoops for my DRZ project. Dave had a good suggestion (of course) to powder coat my wheel hubs. There is a local guy that does them for $45 each. But the question is, silver or black.

I've never owned a bike with blacked laced wheels, but I do think they look rather cool. But are black wheels just a current fad?

So do I order "conservative" chrome hoops and powder coat silver, or go bold and go black on black?  I'm quite torn on this?

Opinions?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rim/Wheel Color
Reply #1 - 02/11/17 at 11:41:16

I suspect it is a fad but I believe it will be around for some time.  As you know many manufacturers have picked up on it and they may like it because it is cheaper than chrome plating steel.  Also, powder coated aluminum may stay looking good longer than polished aluminum with a clear coat.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/11/17 at 12:03:39

Unless something is done that improves function, it's a fad.
Powder coating affects the equipment. A properly prepared, smoothed out, hub, powder coated, will clean up easier. It's an improvement, in that way. Color would be a choice,, either go with the current What's Cool or with what will look best with the paint or the closest to the color of aluminium.
I'm still trying to understand why people think skulls are so cool. Those balaclavas that look like the face of a skeleton?
I'm sure a three year old in the back seat of a car at a red light would think it's just really cool.
If I was spending the money I'd probably go silver on the hub, and spokes and rim that hold up better than ours. It's impossible to get these spokes looking good and the chrome on a Savage just isn't the best. It's a low buck bike, I like them, but they are what they are..
A good close look at the finish on the rear hub is enough to demonstrate the attitude of the manufacturer.
They spent the money on building a bike that will run and last if it's maintained.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/11/17 at 15:48:49

I do like black on black, so that's what I did with my savage wheels/hubs/spokes.  My absolute favorite is black hubs, rims, spokes, with a chrome or silver nipple.  

But here's a couple thoughts for your consideration:

Black "looks" dirty quicker than silver.  One dusty gravel mile and the black is now a dull grey, but the silver/chrome just looks a little less glossy.

When it's clean, the gloss black looks really really nice.  

So just my opinion -- if you keep your bike clean, to gloss black.  If you hate cleaning, go silver and chrome.  

Final thought --- black can easily be overdone.  You will want some contrast.  So what do you intend for the engine casings, forks, swingarm etc...

I'm very much looking forward to following your DRZ build!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 02/11/17 at 16:15:57

I like polished aluminum , however from the looks in that pic on original post I think black would look best. Black looks mean , the criminal element,
Kinda evil. Yeah I say BLACK ! Angry

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 02/11/17 at 16:25:33

My new fav is copper rim and hub with black spokes.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/12/17 at 05:01:05

Black rims may be a fad.....but it is an "old" fad reborn.  I was at a friends house last night, and he had an HRD (Vincent) Black Shadow in his shop that he was working on.....the black rims and black hubs look really nice on that bike.  The whole color scheme on those bikes is black/silver with gold lettering on the tank.......really nice.  All rims on early motorcycles were painted....some were painted the same as the body color.

I do agree the silver colors don't show dirt as quickly - but that is really only an issue if you are going to be a "clean freak" about the bike.  Normal riding won't get it dirty very quickly - if you ride on dirt roads or get caught in the rain....black rims will show the dirt more.  MY TM125 motocross bike had black hubs and silver rims.....and that looked fine on that bike.  Silver/silver and black/black also looks good when it is incorporated into the color scheme of the bike.

The "cast aluminum" powder coat has a somewhat flat surface, and I wonder if the color is durable or will absorb stains into the surface.  It is very similar to the finish used on the early silver Savage engine cases and the pulley hub.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:20:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rim/Wheel Color

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.