Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
I thought the Savage was a cruiser............ (Read 986 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: I thought the Savage was a cruiser............
Reply #60 - 02/24/17 at 22:37:21

At the risk of causing offence, and I don't mean any, but if people want "Hardtails" why not buy a pre WW2 bike?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 02/25/17 at 04:57:02

I think this board has a harder time keeping a topic going down the road the guy in the video does riding his savage off road.

IP Logged
bonijaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 02/26/17 at 11:33:28

jcstokes wrote on 02/24/17 at 22:37:21:
At the risk of causing offence, and I don't mean any, but if people want "Hardtails" why not buy a pre WW2 bike?

not offensive at all imho because they're old and probably need a lot of restoration or people want an arm and a leg for one that's restored

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #63 - 02/26/17 at 13:42:53

ohiomoto wrote on 02/25/17 at 04:57:02:
I think this board has a harder time keeping a topic going down the road the guy in the video does riding his savage off road.

Absolutely! Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #64 - 02/26/17 at 14:05:45

Read those guidelines up at the top for each section -- the rules change for each section and we don't require any of the infamous "off topic" stuff in the Cafe.   We also don't require "motorcycle only" either in the Cafe (surprise, huh).

Many times new folks are reacting to other places and other rules -- I remember one guy thinking he was getting moderated when one of the moderators just gave a reply on his post.

I think sometimes the new folks come here smarting from being whacked upon by other lists, and they find that 1) nobody beats on them here and 2) freedom to do a lot of stuff is available, just by putting it in the appropriate section.  

Now if you CHOOSE to go downstairs to the Tall Table with all the drunken bohemians and get a beer spilled on you, well, that kinda comes with the turf down there in the basement bar area.  

Me, I stay up in the Cafe and drink coffee ....          Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #65 - 02/28/17 at 12:31:50

Curiously, the original question was directed at you Oldfeller, regarding the tire mileage challenge (albeit tongue-in-cheek). And the discussion that ensued has been anything but. But, that's the joy of cafe life (with apologies for the back-to-back buts).

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #66 - 02/28/17 at 13:04:42

DieselBob wrote on 02/05/17 at 07:17:23:
Does Oldfeller's mileage competition require that the tire make contact with the pavement? And can it be the front tire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=376Ns8l6Q7M

Since the contest requires a mileage reading to do the calculations and our speedo mileage comes from a transmission connection that means the rear tire is the one the speedo measures and it does it by simply counting rotations, so any old powersliding revolution, slipping on loose gravel revolution or sliding revolutions across a slippery tree trunk would be counted equally as "mileage".  

These would all actually be "bonus mileage", as the rear wheel is making extra turns for the distance that is actually covered.

And, all his wheelie stuff would come across as good mileage too, since the rear wheel stays engaged to the pavement and revolves along, pacing off the same distance as normal riding would do.

My rear tire is still in play in the contest, but all the rest of the people that entered have replaced their rear tires since then, sold their bikes or dropped off the list, so by default my 0.4 cent per mile real cost of ownership was the grand winner of the people actually entering real bikes with real non-imaginary (non- remembered) real bike mileage.

And I shouldn't have won it since I still go to the Dragon multiple times each year and rip up on my rear tire something fierce a doing that Dragon stuff.  

Apparently having a lot more tread width to rip up on means the overall depth isn't changing quite as badly in the middle as one would think (as on a bike tire for example).   I still haven't gotten the free beer which was the substance of the contest, either.

Wink         Click on the screenshot .jpeg attachment just below this line to get a full sized view of the contest sheet.

« Last Edit: 02/28/17 at 14:08:02 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Screenshot_at_2017-02-28_16-36-15.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
TheHelenCruiser
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 06/12/17 at 17:56:59

I have a bit of insight when it comes to "the Helen cruiser" video.

Helen, ga is indeed the Helen.

Helen being a harley biker destination, the name kinda came from that and making fun of Harleys.

The savage in the video is stock motor,  stock suspension,  stock carb,  and even stock jetting.

The exhaust is a one off 9 inch can with a louvered baffle and fiberglass wrapping on the stock header.

Filming took about 5 hours total over 3 days.
The editor and filmer is the talented one

The savage never got crashed,  or dropped.

The rider is a club road race and hare scramble champion but definitely not pro.

Most wheelies were clutched up in 2nd standing on the pass. Pegs then moving the right foot to cover the rear brake.

The savage has since been sold to the next happy owner

Oh, and all filming took place 3 weeks after the rider broke his collar bone mountain biking

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #68 - 06/13/17 at 04:00:50

Thanks for the insights on the Helen Cruiser.

At your nudge I watched the vid again from the perspective of what was required of the one filming. Gave me an appreciation for the vidiographer's art form and hard work.

And then to learn it's a dead stock Savage. It's all a tribute to the bike, the rider and the videographer. I might think the new owner could take some pride in directing his buddies to this vid to say, "hey, check out my new bike!"

Great to have the backstory to this vid. Much appreciated.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #69 - 06/13/17 at 04:13:16

OF, I've dedicated over a six pack to you. They were good and cold. If you want to Actually DRINK a beer, free of charge, show up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 08/24/17 at 08:20:30

Still fun to watch!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #71 - 08/24/17 at 20:47:24

Yeah it is !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #72 - 08/24/17 at 22:53:24

OF, I drink beer but stay in the cafe, because I am thousands of miles away from US politics, religion and stuff. Yes the Savage/S40 is Suzukis entry level cruiser, despite how hard it's ridden, bobbed, tracked, cafed, stock or whatever, isn't it so beautifully versatile?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #73 - 08/26/17 at 01:03:10

ohiomoto wrote on 08/24/17 at 08:20:30:
Still fun to watch!

Yeah it really gets the heart going. And I love the stuff on the dirt roads! However, when I first read the discussion on here where people were complaining that the video was a bad example for new riders, I thought they were being a bit over-sensitive. At that point I'd only been riding for a few months. I've now been riding for a few more. Along the way I've tried to educate myself beyond the rider training I got for my bike licence. This has included reading (including posts and articles recommended on this forum), lots of Google searches for riding techniques, talking with experienced riders, riding with experienced riders, and watching crash videos on the internet (seriously, for educational purposes).

When I watched this video again just today, I cringed when I saw the guy doing a high speed wheelie on a public road, with a car coming in the other direction! That is just dangerous and irresponsible. Someone (not just the rider) could literally get killed or maimed!!

I don't believe in censorship, and I do believe in personal freedom, and I don't think this particular video is going to be responsible for some kid getting it into his head that he should go and do these things. Freedom of expression allows exposure to all kinds of expression - and this video is just one of them.

But, I have to add my voice to the others here who have expressed their opinion that the stuff filmed on the public roads is soooo uncool. There are many ways to get a thrill from riding a bike - and you can do it without putting anyone else at risk. If you wanna do stunts then arrange to go to some private property or some organised venue to do it. Doing that stuff on public roads is just lazy, selfish, and irresponsible.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:22:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › I thought the Savage was a cruiser............

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.