Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
I thought the Savage was a cruiser............ (Read 986 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: I thought the Savage was a cruiser............
Reply #45 - 02/17/17 at 18:35:42

yeah i need to chill, you're right about that. I've had it up to my ears with trolley crashes and NTSB investigations and crashed systems at work. I'm taking the next week off of work to do nothing but ride my bike and make music. I've been worked to my last nerve for the past quarter and I'm just done. Put a fork in me.

There's a backroad near me that I love riding. It has a wicked steep railroad crossing. I really try not to jump it. I grab brakes and downshift and it doesn't matter poor little Thumpy ends up airborne. And I regret it each time up on touchdown. This bike was not meant to fly.
If i were foolish enough to hit that darn crossing with some actual speed I could end up in all kinds of trouble. I shudder to think of the hospital bills.
I'm going to stay away from that road.
This video just makes me think of that. I just feel sometimes we need to be more responsible of the example we set. Especially online where our random thoughts seem to last for decades and longer.
I don't want my own offspring reading something from me 10 years from now that tells them it's ok to be a jackass in some way that will get them hurt.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #46 - 02/17/17 at 18:42:22

Also I'd like to add that one of my old riding buddies is dead. And another actually did break his back.

Sometimes it gets to me....

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 02/18/17 at 05:31:06

Mike,

I owned and operated a motocross track.  AMA sanctioned and we even ran regional qualifiers for the AMA Amature National Championships.   Most days were no worse than a Friday night football game in terms of injuries sustained.  Other's brought the lifeflight.  (Twice, but neither situation was life threatening.  Go figure.)

I had a friend die when he forgot to turn his petcock on before a practice moto.  Another guy died when his rear brake failed during a road race.  There was a local pro who got paralyzed his first season running Pro Nationals.  My other friend landed on his best friend's 5 year old son who was "playing in the dirt" on the landing of an 80' double jump at a private track and killed him.  (None of these things happened at my track and thankfully, I was not present at any of them.)

I know all about the bad things that can happen on a motorcycle.  I understand that our sport is dangerous whether it be in the woods, on the track or on the road.  When it comes to motocross, I always say "it's not if you get hurt, it's when and how bad."    

Sure, the Savage isn't a dirt bike, a scrambler or whatever you deem appropriate.  But if you think back to days before us, all motorcycle were crud machines and guess what, they raced them, they rode them off road and they got hurt just like we do today.

Honestly, other than riding wheelies down a public road, I don't see what the big deal is other than he's doing it on a crud machine like the Savage.  He rides down a dirt road throwing a roost?  He goes up a hill?  He crosses some logs and pops over a fallen tree?  His wheels were never more than a few inches off the ground (not counting the front wheel during wheelies.  His front tires must last forever!)  

So this  "idiot" is out there having fun.  Could he get hurt?  Hell yes he can.  Should we all ride like that? If you can find legal places to do it, you don't mind the risks and don't mind abusing your bike, go for it.  

YouTube is filled with real idiots doing real stupid stuff.  Like a guy base jumping with his parachute attached to his back with body piercings!  Now that's real crazy.

« Last Edit: 02/20/17 at 05:27:29 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #48 - 02/19/17 at 19:32:45

Wow! After those last few posts I'm really bummed out! Sorry for all of your losses! Those are some sad stories. We accept the risks every time we throw a leg over the saddle. Ride safe and try not to be a jackass or a statistic!  Smiley

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 02/20/17 at 04:43:44

I raced hare scrambles/motocross in the days when we had 4" of suspension travel in the back, and close to 6" in the front.  Our speed was limited by the suspension.....no double or triple jumps in my day.  There was the usual broken arm, collar bone, leg....but no fatalities at any of the local tracks where I was racing.  Falls were generally something that just gave you some scrapes and bruises......trees were a bit of a problem when riding hare scrambles, as they don't move if you hit one.

If you choose to ride like the guy in the video....you will fall down rather frequently.  You can't push the limits all the time and never get bitten.  Thankfully the power and suspension limitations on the Savage will most likely keep him from hurting himself too badly.....he can't attempt any double or triple jumps!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #50 - 02/20/17 at 08:52:54

he can't attempt any double or triple jumps!

Ohhh, yes he can..
Remember, any ship can be a mine sweeper,
Once.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #51 - 02/20/17 at 17:49:38

JOG, your sense of humor cracks me up every time!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #52 - 02/21/17 at 07:03:20

Thank You, you're free to use anything, I stole that last one from someone.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #53 - 02/22/17 at 13:59:16

Jeez, the guy was only having a bit of fun. There is such a thing as responsibility for one's own actions. If a noob sees that vid and decides to do the same and gets hurt, that's their loss, not his. They probably ought not to be on a bike anyway and would come to grief without anyone's coaching. The world's full of people doing inappropriate things. Mostly we know our limits and don't try to copy them....

IP Logged
bonijaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 02/24/17 at 11:03:08

what's up guys ? im new to this and it's finally my first forum ever even though i've spent years reading forums i've finally decided to join one

long story short im a car guy and then one morning i decided to get into bikes. so my ex father in law and i looked for a bike. i was being impatient and wanted to just buy anything i could get my hands on but a month or two after looking there was this 96 savage sitting in the warehouse we worked at. it was sitting since 1999..(barnyard find?). we emptied the tank, swapped a different carb i forgot which one but it wasn't vacuum powered (not even sure if the stock one is but i think he said something like that) gave it a tune up (fresh oil, spark plug, new battery). thing started right up..only had 1,100 miles on it..had no title but i got one thru moto recycle (a website where these guys get you a title for a motorcycle over 15 years old thru vermont. it's a loophole)

anyway i "bobbered" it out. not really sure because it's not a hardtail.

i've had it for almost a year now. tons of fun but starting to get too slow for me plus i want to have fun as in do wheelies and maybe donuts. (as i can see from this thread this bike isn't for that stuff) i'm not really into speed so this bike is good for me in some aspects.

anyway that's a little bit about my situation can't wait to see what else i read about everyone and what i can learn.

IMG_3861.PNG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #55 - 02/24/17 at 11:49:25

"but it's starting to get to slow for me"   -"but I'm not really into speed" HUH?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
bonijaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 02/24/17 at 12:07:01

batman wrote on 02/24/17 at 11:49:25:
"but it's starting to get to slow for me"   -"but I'm not really into speed" HUH?

first response and i get trolled LOL

i meant it's not torquey enough and from what i've read on this forum it's not meant for more than just cruising

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #57 - 02/24/17 at 12:33:58

batman wrote on 02/24/17 at 11:49:25:

That's me trying to maintain the posted 65mph posted speed on a lot of the 10% grade mountain passes around here. Sad  

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #58 - 02/24/17 at 14:52:22

Welcome aboard, bonijaa. Just do what you want on your savage. If wheelie and donuts floats your boat, have at it. Somewhere safe, of course. If you want wheelies, you might consider mid mount controls and mx bars for a start. Buy a cheap dirt bike to practice on first.  IMO, you have indeed bobbed it. If you graft on a hardtail, it makes it a chopper. Even if you don't do the front end. The other guys here will no doubt disagree. But that's fine. all the best and Ride on.

IP Logged
bonijaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 02/24/17 at 18:08:20

gizzo wrote on 02/24/17 at 14:52:22:
Welcome aboard, bonijaa. Just do what you want on your savage. If wheelie and donuts floats your boat, have at it. Somewhere safe, of course. If you want wheelies, you might consider mid mount controls and mx bars for a start. Buy a cheap dirt bike to practice on first.  IMO, you have indeed bobbed it. If you graft on a hardtail, it makes it a chopper. Even if you don't do the front end. The other guys here will no doubt disagree. But that's fine. all the best and Ride on.

thanks man i agree with your post. will take your advice about the cheap dirtbike that way if i screw up at least it's not a big loss

i thought a bobber meant hardtail i was misinformed you know how the internet works you read something and sometimes believe it  Undecided

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:23:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › I thought the Savage was a cruiser............

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.