Send Topic Print
Rounded a nut. Help! (Read 280 times)
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rounded a nut. Help!
02/04/17 at 17:08:33

Well the piston swap was going great. Got the engine out, head cover is off, and finally just had the two under head nuts to remove.

The rear nut rounded off Sad It's such a small space, I couldn't get any of my sockets in, and using a 12pt wrench rounded it.

I've tried heat, some vise grips (needle nose, all I've got) At this point I'm at a loss. How do I get this nut off. Its stopped my whole project.

Any thoughts/advice?

Rounded_Nut.jpg

2012 Savage: dyna American custom, Raptor petcock, Elev: 200ft 55, 147.5, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Rounded a nut. Help!
Reply #1 - 02/04/17 at 17:25:16

Kin ya' git a vice-grip in there?... Undecided

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 02/04/17 at 17:36:12

Start out with soaking the nut and stud with penetrating oil.

As I posted on FaceBook you need a Craftsman 6 point Craftsman box end combination wrench.

You may have to take a wooden dowel and hammer to tap the wrench into place and maybe put something on the end of the wrench to get more leverage.

Make sure that you are turning the wrench the right direction.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 02/04/17 at 17:46:06

jwenrich wrote on 02/04/17 at 17:08:33:
The rear nut rounded off Sad It's such a small space, I couldn't get any of my sockets in, and using a 12pt wrench rounded it.

There your cause. Take all of your 12-point sockets and wrenches and give them to someone you don't like. Then go replace them with proper 6-point sockets and wrenches. Of the hundreds of sockets and wrenches in my box, not one is a 12-point.

Now, on to the problem. Use a file and redress the nut. Then use one of your new 6-point wrenches (better, a socket and a long breaker bar) to get this nut started. Vice grips will work if you have room to move. If you have a die grinder you can score the nut and crack it with a chisel and hammer. If you can't get it off at all, cut the whole thing off and replace the stud.

Can someone chime in and confirm that the stud can be backed out once the head is removed?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/04/17 at 17:46:36

I was hoping to avoid buying new tools, but looks like I'l have to.

I wouldn't know if the vise grips fit until they arrive :/

I'll try a 6 point and I'll get some PB blaster, but the edges are getting pretty mangled.

If I can't wrangle it off, what are my options? the screw portion seems to go through and up to the intake.

Also, how much do I need to worry about hammering into the thing. Do I risk cracking portions of the block?

2012 Savage: dyna American custom, Raptor petcock, Elev: 200ft 55, 147.5, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 02/04/17 at 17:51:06

Cut it off with a grinder. Take some photos of sparks flying to post on instagram.  Wink
The 6 side ring spanner or even better a flank drive ring spanner will get that nut undone.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 02/04/17 at 17:57:08

You might take a small fine file ,use it two clean up the flats ,then try a six point box end after soaking it a few times (or days) with penetrating oil........avoid buying tools? tools are like uncut diamonds,and the proper tool is a cut and polished diamond. If you buy them as you need,they shouldn't cost you much over time, and will keep you from problems like this in the future.  I would try not to damage the stud going up in the head as it is steel and the head alum. and is difficult to remove and replace ,the nut isn't.  you may want to replace and tighten the nut on the front of the head first ,before trying to loosen this one, the head may have "cocked " (lifted in front) allowing the rear to bind.this is after all just one of six head bolts and should have been only torqued to about 20 ft/lbs.(you should have loosened all of them a little at a time,in stages, not one at a time completely,that's how their put on ,it keeps the head flat, and the head gasket evenly compressed ,not so now!For that matter you could replace all the head bolts and try removing this one first!THEN the front and the four on top evenly in stages.   I would try this first, you have nothing to loose and it shouldn't cause any damage if you use a torque wrench ,don't exceed the proper torque or you could damage threads or stretch the studs .

« Last Edit: 02/04/17 at 21:36:43 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/04/17 at 18:44:24

You might take a pointed chisel and position it on the shoulder of the nut and tap it in two different spots, and see if you can break it loose.  You may use a small drill bit to create holes in the shoulder to set the chisel point into.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #8 - 02/05/17 at 07:05:14

Out of curiosity, what brand of wrench was it?

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
njohnso8
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Orleans, LA
Reply #9 - 02/10/17 at 12:20:44

I was in EXACTLY the same predicament you are in with that exact same pain in the ass bolt, so I can certainly empathize. Heres what you do:

1) spray the hell out of it with penetrating oil
2) Go buy a set of center punches and with a lightweight hammer, TAP perpendicular into the bolt to get some grip, then turn the punch so you can tap it in the counterclockwise position. You will have to repeat this many, many, many times and it will be a huge pain. I pretty much ended up taping almost completely through the bolt before it finally loosened

Heres a pic of what mine looked like when it finally came off

PainInTheAssBolt.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 02/10/17 at 13:09:26

There are no rules when fighting a problem. Tools are just tools. You can get a junky wrench at a pawn shop, clean up the area you want stuff to stick to, SURGICALLY apply a light grease to everything else, wipe a bit of epoxy on the nut and inside the wrench , wait, break it loose. I wouldn't use JB Weld,, but something you Can break loose, like a five minute epoxy. I used Devcon, because it's good. For this, I'd probably use Duro, because it's not that great.
Super glue gel might be a choice, since it will dissolve with
Acetone.
I have been known to clip a strip of a thin feeler gauge, hold it in position with needle nose pliers until the wrench has it held in place and tapped the wrench down into position.
If you can get a pin punch and shape it up to drive the smeared part of the nut back home, that might help..

The thin, runny superglue Might work,
Even pounding a small, Hard wire as flat as you can might give the wrench the bite it needs.

I was changing wheel bearings on a friend's car. My socket was sloppy. Option, go to town, spend twenty bucks or cut up a feeler gauge and shim it... We didn't go to town. He was Very skeptical and really didn't want me to do that. It worked and left no rounded edges on either nut,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #11 - 02/10/17 at 13:44:09

PB Blaster is the best "penetrating oil" I have ever used. Years ago, MAC tools used to sell a set of what we called "Flex-Head" wrenches.  On one end was a 6-point socket that flipped side to side (180 Deg.) and on the other end was an open end.  Best and most useful tools I have used over the years!

6 point, good quality tools are a must, and worth every penny!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 02/10/17 at 14:32:36

Indeed PB Blaster is the best I have ever used !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 02/10/17 at 15:52:21

Recently an article was passed along to me from Machinist Workshop Magazine.
They tested some commercially available penetrating oils on a group of nuts & bolts they had scientifically rusted to a uniform degree in a salt water solution.

The fasteners were treated with a variety of commercially available penetrants and the measured torque required to loosen them was recorded.

The break out torque required for:
Nothing = 516 ft. lbs.
WD-40 = 238 ft. lbs.
PB Blaster = 214 ft. lbs.
Liquid Wrench = 127 ft. lbs.
Kano Kroil = 106 ft. lbs.
50/50 blend of ATF and Acetone = 50 ft. lbs.

I have a shelf of lubricants, WD40 has never even been in the shop I've had for about 8 years. I have the Acetone/ATF mix, PB Blaster, Kroil. Depending on the problem, I pic k an oil. The Kroil spray is 14bucks, PB is cheap, the ATF/acetone doesn't spray and it's a hassle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 02/10/17 at 17:49:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/10/17 at 15:52:21:
the ATF/acetone doesn't spray and it's a hassle.

Put it in a common spray bottle. ATF/Acetone is my go-to penetrate

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:44:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rounded a nut. Help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.