Dial-A-Jet (Read 258 times)
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Dial-A-Jet
02/01/17 at 13:22:18

Not sure this is where to post this, but just wanted to thank "Lancer" for the new VM 36 carb with U.F.O. & Dial-A-Jet and highly recommend the U.F.O. & D.A.J. combo for extreme altitude changes.  Last weekend I took the bike from sea level to over 10,000' elevation.  Stopped once to adjust the D.A.J., took less than 5 minutes, bike ran awesome all the way to the top.

The pic is of Haleakala Hwy holds the world record for climbing to the highest elevation (over 10,000') in the shortest distance of 38 miles. Lots of twisties!  Thanks Lancer!

Haleakala_Road.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dial-A-Jet
Reply #1 - 02/01/17 at 13:56:26

The Road looks fun.....what happened to the trees? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/01/17 at 14:23:56

Quote:
also known as Crater Road

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 02/01/17 at 14:29:47

Fun stuff, eh ?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/01/17 at 14:39:39

I still waiting for the bridge to be built.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 02/02/17 at 04:14:26

Yup UFO,Quad Flow Wing and I upgraded to Intelajet on my vm36. Acceleration and a killer midrange punch. So much fun to ride !!!
My bike would eat that road up !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Dial-A-Jet: how does it work?
Reply #6 - 02/02/17 at 05:08:07

Would anyone please explain how it works?

I have pictured of an old phone dialer bolted to the handlebars... Grin

No, really, I need to understand if th Dial-a-Jet is operable while ON the bike or if I have to stop and tune it by the roadside...
Also, if it works on any CV or flat slide carb or what.
I might decide to get one for the Savage (Mikuni BST40) or perhaps one for the Dyna as well
(which currently runs on the stock Keihin 36 but has a Mikuni flat slide 42 lurking... heheheh...)

Else, I was considering bar-mounted choke levers in order to adjust the carburation for altitude.

Imagine you live at sea level and plan a long trip somewhere up high:
the trick would be to adjust carburation for... 5000ft. and gradually pull the choke maybe 1/16th inch as you go back down to sea level.

All you need is to set reference notches so you have "0 sea level, 2000ft., 4000ft., 6000ft reference notches, and you relieve the choke as you climb.

I saw this on a Swiss-registered Guzzi waaay back in 1975-6 or thereabouts, the guy was riding with the choke half.pulled and explained the trick to me.

Genius !!! Who needs fuel injection ?  Cheesy

http://www.classicbikepartscheshire.com/control-levers-spares-c122/choke-air-...

(Now... imagine you could also advance/retard ignition for air temperature/altitude/fuel quality... that's what the second lever is for !  Wink )

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/02/17 at 07:02:00

Dial-a-jet mounts on the carb body and has a small wheel for the adjustment.....it most likely would be hard to reach and adjust the little wheel while you are in motion.

Intel-a-jet has a remote adjustment wheel that can be mounted in a place that you can reach and adjust while in motion.

https://thunderproducts.com/

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 02/02/17 at 08:06:06

I'm having difficulty understanding how this could work .   I looked at the units on the link and my first guess is the device adds air to the fuel bowl .  
A needle valve closing off some of the jet would do , if ya started with a oversize jet ...
Am I the only one ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 02/02/17 at 15:19:18

MMRanch wrote on 02/02/17 at 08:06:06:
I'm having difficulty understanding how this could work .   I looked at the units on the link and my first guess is the device adds air to the fuel bowl .  
A needle valve closing off some of the jet would do , if ya started with a oversize jet ...
Am I the only one ?

Michael, the DAJ does not add air to the bowl but pulls fuel from the bowl when needed.  When installing the DAJ you reduce the main jet size by 3 sizes.  This enables the DAJ to function and supply just the right amount of fuel when ever a deficit is signaled to the DAJ.  

The main jet basically begins its function at 1/2 throttle.  The DAJ supplies fuel in a more controlled fashion and in smaller particles that burn more completely than the fuel supplied by the main jet/needle jet/jet needle.  This provides better fuel economy and improved performance.

« Last Edit: 02/04/17 at 07:28:44 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 02/02/17 at 16:00:31

Thanks Michael ,

So the vacuum line is between the carb. and intake manifold ?   Open the throttle and the vacuum drops letting fuel serge back into the carb , raising the float/fuel level -(enriching mixture).  Close the throttle raising vacuum to reload the line ?

You remember how the older Brigg/Stratton engines use a bottom mounted needle/jet to physically adjust the fuel opening going into the bottom of the main jet channel.    

So does the Dial-a-jet , raise and lower the fuel level in the bowl ?   I've experimented with float level and know low fuel level = leaning mixture.

How could it adjust the fuel level with vacuum ?  
The theory of another way ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 02/02/17 at 18:03:42

The Dial a Jet doesn't affect the fuel level in the float bowl....fuel flows from the float bowl, and goes up the plastic tube and flows out the Dial a Jet and into the air stream.  The vacuum in the carb throat is what pulls the fuel up out of the float bowl.  At low rpm the Dial a Jet doesn't really function, as the vacuum in the carb throat is very low.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 02/02/17 at 19:25:02

DAJ works great for a midrange punch but if your gonna spend the money just bite the bullet , open your wallet , just get the Intelajet you will love it!
I mounted my control near my left grip. Once the bike is warmed up , I do a hot run do my adjustment on the fly turn around and get back into it do another hot run , no stopping and getting off to adjust . But then again I enjoy chasing that last bit of H/P , I have a box of different air filters and plastic pipes ,silicone elbows,hose clamps , think I changed my intake ten times now I'm down to one filter just haven't settled on a long or a short runner between carb and filter. Have pissed off a lot of Harley owners , light to light it's Fast , but once carb is dialed in I will change the gearing and give it some longer legs.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 02/03/17 at 08:46:53

OK I'm trying to understand.

As Lancer says "you start off with a main jet 3 sizes too small...

...so I replace my 152.5 (or maybe 155) with a 145, right ?

Then all goes well until I am at half throttle, when I open tyhe throttle WOT the plastic tube will suck extra fuel from the bottom of the carb bowl and feed it to the top of the venturi...

Is that it ?

Sounds (almost) like the same principle as a sequential double-body carburetor...
...where one butterfly opens and the second opwns only when 1st is 80% WOT

Izzat right ?  Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 02/03/17 at 10:11:31

Every carb will react differently, when the daj senses increased vaccuum & engine load it will deliver fuel mine picks up just past 1/4 throttle

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:26:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dial-A-Jet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.