Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stalling at idle problem (Read 293 times)
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Re: Stalling at idle problem
Reply #15 - 02/04/17 at 06:27:29

OK! New petcock is on - and now she feels like a totally different thumpy...

Takes longer to warm up to a happy idle now (which makes perfect sense if she was running rich before, I suppose the leak functioned like constant partial choke).

Two other observations I wouldn't mind feedback on:
1. She sounds "throatier" than before. The purr has become slightly more of a growl. Why would that be?
2. I have to fill the throttle on a little more than before to get the same response. I can kind of see why this would be the case, but if anyone could explain it I'd be grateful.

Thanks all!

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 02/04/17 at 13:37:19

Alex you've gone from running to rich to the factory lean setting, Your at 400 ft ele.(the closer to sea level the leaner the bike runs)  You might consider adjusting your air screw,the white spacer mod, and going to a larger main and pilot jets ,as these mods will make the bike run much smoother and stronger and cooler (lean motors run hotter)    (Answers to questions 1& 2)

« Last Edit: 06/02/17 at 21:39:40 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #17 - 05/31/17 at 23:22:13

verslagen1 wrote on 01/31/17 at 15:14:48:
AlexW wrote on 01/31/17 at 14:43:09:
One last thing though:
having now learned where the carb overflow lines actually are, I noticed that one of them curves back over the top of the carb, but the other runs backwards and is tucked under the seat. This second line doesn't seem correct, but I wouldn't really know. What's the best place for these hoses to go?!
both get tucked into the frame above the carb.

I thought those two hoses were "bowl vents" (rather than overflow lines). That's what Savage_Greg called them in these photos:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098869040/2#2

After reading a Haynes book today, I was under the impression that vents on a carb exist to allow pressure from the atmosphere to enter the bowl, and that it was the difference between the higher pressure from the atmosphere compared to the low pressure of vacuum created by the venturi that created the force to suck the fuel up into the carb. That was my interpretation of a "vent" line. Do those vents also act as overflow lines, or am I somehow misunderstanding something here? Thanks!

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 06/01/17 at 06:41:47

They are vents.
Gas Can come out of them,
IF you have a problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 06/01/17 at 08:44:33

If you turn your bike on it's side, or even upside down.....the vents do become drains!

The air needed by the carb for the atomization of fuel comes through the air jets, and it is filtered air and it is provided by passages in the inlet throat of the carb.

The fuel being used out of the float bowl is being replaced by the fuel flowing into the float bowl through the fuel line/float needle/seat.  There isn't really any kind of air flow through the float bowl when the engine is running.

When you shut the engine down, or park the bike in the sun, the liquid fuel in the float bowl needs to have a vent so the fuel vapors can go somewhere......and that is what the vents do.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #20 - 06/01/17 at 10:56:12

Dave wrote on 06/01/17 at 08:44:33:
If you turn your bike on it's side, or even upside down.....the vents do become drains!

So I don't have to worry about flooding the carb when I'm doing barrel rolls  Wink

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 06/02/17 at 22:01:59

If the barrel rolls are fast enough centrifugal force should keep the fuel in the bottom of the bowl,vents are not needed! Roll Eyes

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #22 - 06/03/17 at 09:54:25

Dave wrote on 06/01/17 at 08:44:33:
When you shut the engine down, or park the bike in the sun, the liquid fuel in the float bowl needs to have a vent so the fuel vapors can go somewhere......and that is what the vents do.

I'd been vaguely wondering why I always smelled gas when it'd been parked in the sun (and it lives outside in North Carolina - it's in the sun a LOT right now). I'd figured it was probably a vapor leak out the fuel filler cap, but this also makes sense, and explains why I could never quite track the smell down if it's coming from (a) under the seat and (b) on top of the engine.

Good to know!

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 06/03/17 at 10:47:42

I saw a cigarette lighter trace a smell back to the source once, when I was in the eighth grade. He was a bit stunned when the next stench in the air smelled Exactly like burnt hair.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #24 - 06/03/17 at 14:25:19

When I parked my Triumph for a month or two the fuel consumption was greater than normal due to the evaporation from the tank and two carbs.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:25:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalling at idle problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.