Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Suzuki Extended Protection (Read 212 times)
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Suzuki Extended Protection
01/30/17 at 09:19:29

Managed to accumulate my first 600 miles during this 28-32 degree mornings that we've been having and am ready to take it in for the first service. My question is would it be ignorant to consider buying the extended warranty? I plan on riding bike 12k-15k/year and hope to keep bike for several years. Not sure if it would really be cost effective in the long run, but would give me peace of mind to know that bike would have a much longer extended warranty period when the miles started to add up. Especially after I start to add up how many of those miles included lengthy 65-70mph daily commutes. Would appreciate your opinions.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: uzuki Extended Protection
Reply #1 - 01/30/17 at 09:35:09

You didn't include what the costs and coverage are so it's hard to evaluate.  Most warranties don't do much for you when you consider the upfront cost and the deductible.  

I personally never buy them.  And if I did, I would probably buy it from Suzuki, not uzuki!  Smiley

IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Re: Suzuki Extended Protection
Reply #2 - 01/30/17 at 10:48:41

Several plans to choose from, but thinking about the 3 year 550.00ish one. And, just like the one I bought for my Honda CTX, all covered repairs are zero cost deductibles.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/30/17 at 11:40:21

They can put your oil filter in backwards for ya'...
That's what ya' call "reverse engineering"... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/30/17 at 15:05:52

Are you willing and able to learn to maintain your bike?
Does it cover basic maintenance, like valve adjustments?
Will they let you watch?
Will it sit until the paying customers are done?
You don't know how unfunny it is to have your bike sitting in a shop for three weeks because of some little problem most of us would fix in a day while you're watching the best days od Spring pass you by..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #5 - 01/30/17 at 15:09:38

Do you get a loaner bike if it gets stuck in the shop more than a day? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #6 - 01/30/17 at 15:13:30

$4114 US with a 5yr warranty here in CA
https://www.suzuki.ca/en/2015-boulevard-s40

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 01/30/17 at 16:25:03

I'd stay away from the extended warranty myself, they are far too expensive. As for the first service. Don't let them remove the cylinder head cap, it is not necessary and expensive. Also, it may cause more trouble than it is worth.

I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in on this one. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 01/30/17 at 16:39:06

norm92de wrote on 01/30/17 at 16:25:03:
I'd stay away from the extended warranty myself, they are far too expensive. As for the first service. Don't let them remove the cylinder head cap, it is not necessary and expensive. Also, it may cause more trouble than it is worth.

I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in on this one. Smiley

And want would be the reason to remove the cylinder cap at 600 miles? Tighten the head bolts? Hopefully they'll check the valves and adjust if needed. What seemed like a good idea for my CTX w/DCT and ABS might not seem so necessary for my S40.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 01/30/17 at 16:39:34

It's not necessary to mess with the head bolts. It's in the maintenance schedule. They will Want to Sell you that Service.
Odds are they wouldn't touch them, but you'll pay for it if you don't Get it in Writing that they will not do that.
I took mine to an independent shop and watched him do the valves. It's a PITA and I get a little nervous even after doing it six times,, but it's always worked out.
The cost of tools and a manual is just part of owning it. The money you'll save, the time you'll ride instead of wish, and what you will learn being your own mechanic will make you happy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 01/30/17 at 19:56:02

Here we go again another member with a 3 year plan !  Grin Grin Grin

Save your money , buy a manual and some metric craftsman tools and if you got ?s , ask them here at SS

Make sure to install oil filter correctly when you change your oil , it's easy !

Welcome to the forum !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/31/17 at 04:36:36

Buster wrote on 01/30/17 at 10:48:41:
Several plans to choose from, but thinking about the 3 year 550.00ish one. And, just like the one I bought for my Honda CTX, all covered repairs are zero cost deductibles.
--------------

As much as I hate warranties, I'm going to say it might be worth weighing this out. IF you are really going to put 12k - 15k miles a year on the bike.  Look at what the policy covers and look at what maintenance will need to be done.  You'll probably need a timing chain within 36k -45k miles, maybe a valve adjustment and possibly a battery.  These things are considered general maintenance.  If the policy covers such items it might be worth it.  If not, it will only be worth it if you blow the bike up because there isn't much else that it will need if you take care of it.  It's a pretty simple/reliable bike.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 01/31/17 at 08:05:19

Welcome!

That's a hard decision and really depends on your mechanical capabilities, or the ability to follow instructions from the good folks here. Got my bike (my first bike ever) with 400 miles on it. Rode it for a while and let the dealership do the initial service and check because I was so new to the bike and wanted it checked over from the previous owner who let it sit for 4 years.  Since buying it, it has been close to 5 years and about 8000 miles (I don't ride as much as I want to) I have done everything on my bike with the help of the forum here and I feel totally comfortable with the bike top to bottom.  

The dealership will make the bike "right" and not do the modifications that you really need to get the bike in optimum riding and running order...they are going to go by the book.  You will probably need to get into the carb and do some of those adjustments, etc. at some point as well but you need to know what your warranty covers and when it expires because if you get into the bike too far and you have issues within the warranty period you can void the warranty.  Not that these bikes are know for issues, but if something catastrophic happened within your warranty period the dealership would love to find a reason it is your fault!

Maybe with your higher mileage you may need more work than I do, but you will find that this bike is very easy to work on, though doesn't require much, and you need to know your way around the bike anyway.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 01/31/17 at 08:47:15

Buster wrote on 01/30/17 at 09:19:29:
Managed to accumulate my first 600 miles during this 28-32 degree mornings that we've been having and am ready to take it in for the first service. My question is would it be ignorant to consider buying the extended warranty? I plan on riding bike 12k-15k/year and hope to keep bike for several years. Not sure if it would really be cost effective in the long run, but would give me peace of mind to know that bike would have a much longer extended warranty period when the miles started to add up. Especially after I start to add up how many of those miles included lengthy 65-70mph daily commutes. Would appreciate your opinions.

$550 for a 3yr warranty is probably not a bad deal given the mileage, especially if it includes all parts and labor.
At least $300 for the 600 mile service.
Then at year 2 or so cam chain service.

Here's your typical maintenance issues:
You might consider metzlers 888's at the next change, then service will be every 2 years, rather than every year.
Based on your mileage, Oil change every 2 months, Valve adjust every 6 months.
sparky and air filter once a year
raptor petcock by the 7th year (probably much earlier)
If your going to ride in the wet, silicone grease all the connectors.
The black box above the carb isn't sealed very well, I'd tape up the connector for insurance.
Brake pads every 5k, fluid maybe every 2 yrs or when becomes tinted.
check your battery water once a year, and get agm maintenance free next bat.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 01/31/17 at 10:15:04

Versy , I'm just going to bring my bikes to you from now on ! What's You labor rate ? Yup put all on a trailer and bring them down ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:38:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suzuki Extended Protection

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.