Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Installed a Ryca tach this morning (Read 120 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Installed a Ryca tach this morning
01/28/17 at 23:13:56

The Ryca tach I ordered a couple of weeks ago, arrived a couple of days ago. I had the time to install it yesterday, and the time to ride the bike today.

I used this method to install it:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1409022095/2

In fact, it was reading that thread that convinced me to have a go at the installation. I've gotta say, it really is a beautifully clever method of mounting the tach. As I was making the bracket and mounting it, it became increasingly apparent what an elegant design it was - and the tach is a real nice unit in and of itself. It looks about as stock as an -aftermarket part could look, especially when the tach and the speedo are both lit up Smiley

This is how it turned out:

Tach_-_Installed.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Re: Installed a Ryca tach this morning
Reply #1 - 01/28/17 at 23:32:45

I know some people say there is no need for a tach on the savage/S40 (and they're probably right) but, what can I say, I like data  Smiley I even read a review of the S40 with itemized features, and under the heading of "Tachometer" it just said "not necessary".

But, apart from riding dirt bikes as a kid (30 years ago) this is my first bike. I got it about 5 months ago. I've changed the muffler and re-jetted and have been learning all about the bike. I was pretty sure I was riding in a way that gets the most out of it, but I wanted to get some numbers to confirm what I intuitively felt was going on.

It turns out I had the idle set pretty well at about 1200 rpm, and my shifting was pretty good, although I do tend to push the bike a bit - I'm ok with that, I like the feel of strong acceleration!

So, maybe I don't need a tach, but there's a lot of things I don't need which are still nice to have  Cool

The bracket took longer to make, by a long stretch, than it took to connect the tach!

As a noob, I have to say this is a very satisfying mod to do. I'm very happy with the results.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #2 - 01/29/17 at 11:48:24

Cool beans !!  Smiley

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Joer0952

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Perth Amboy NJ
Reply #3 - 01/29/17 at 11:56:32

I bought the ryca tachometer as well and am getting ready to install it.  I am not very knowledgeable on the wiring, I know that some wires go to the horn and others to something called the coil, can you explain the wiring a little, with pictures if you have them.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #4 - 01/29/17 at 13:25:01

Hi Joe,

I'm not very experienced either  Smiley

The wiring for the Ryca tach is really easy to install. I'll post a couple of pictures later on today when I have time to add some notes to them.

Joer0952 wrote on 01/29/17 at 11:56:32:
I bought the ryca tachometer as well and am getting ready to install it.  I am not very knowledgeable on the wiring, I know that some wires go to the horn and others to something called the coil, can you explain the wiring a little, with pictures if you have them.  

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 01/29/17 at 13:50:35

How much did this tach cost? And where to buy?

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #6 - 01/29/17 at 14:01:28

This is it:

http://shop.rycamotors.com/mini_tachometer.html

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 01/29/17 at 13:50:35:

IP Logged
Joer0952

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Perth Amboy NJ
Reply #7 - 01/29/17 at 14:14:34

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 01/29/17 at 13:50:35:

It cost 59+ shipping. I always search to find the best deal, so if you do the same let me save you some time.  The link Islandroad posted is the best price you will find.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 01/29/17 at 14:31:38

I was able to grab 10 minutes so I made up some instructions Smiley

A couple of things to note:

1. I removed the fuel tank for ease of access. I don't know if others managed it without doing that.

2. I think some people just slip the wires (from the tach) in between the connectors and the rubber boot that keeps them weather proof. I prefer to unplug the connectors to make sure the wires are sort of clamped between them.

Apart from that it's really simple.

« Last Edit: 04/18/17 at 02:03:21 by IslandRoad »  

Ryca_tach_-_Installation_1a.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #9 - 01/29/17 at 14:32:38

Image 2

Ryca_tach_-_Installation_2.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #10 - 01/29/17 at 14:33:42

Click the links above the images for larger (readable) versions.

If they're still too small, I'll post larger ones later Smiley

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #11 - 01/29/17 at 17:31:22

Road,

Thank you for posting the instructions complete with pictures.

I have a Ryca tachometer on my S40 and I could have made good use of your posting when I installed mine.

Many guys will use this posting over the years.

Kenny G

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #12 - 01/29/17 at 18:01:38

Thanks Kenny ☺

Kenny G wrote on 01/29/17 at 17:31:22:
Road,

Thank you for posting the instructions complete with pictures.

I have a Ryca tachometer on my S40 and I could have made good use of your posting when I installed mine.

Many guys will use this posting over the years.

Kenny G

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 01/29/17 at 18:08:30

Oh, one last tip!

The tach comes with plenty of wire to reach each of the connection points. You don't need to strip or cut anything. However, I decided to strip a little bit more of the black wire to make it easier to wrap around the screw.

And before you connect it all, just make sure you're happy with how the wire runs from the tach to the connection points. That is, look for any over/under/twisty things you might have going on with the other wiring ☺

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #14 - 02/02/17 at 09:36:12

I am just curious, but why would a tach hookup require connecting any wires to the horn?

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 11:20:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Installed a Ryca tach this morning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.