oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Flat Track news
01/28/17 at 15:51:34

I'm really looking forward to the 2017 season:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/harley-davidson-fires-back-with-factory-fla...

Harley's got some work to do to get the new bike competitive I think. Unlike the new Indian,  which was designed as a race engine, like the Harley XR was years ago, the XG's are modified street bike engines. Except for some of the Kawasaki's, none of the other production engine based bikes have been very consistently competitive for a long time.

Should be an interesting season.

« Last Edit: 01/28/17 at 17:04:04 by oldNslow »  
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Flat Track news
Reply #1 - 01/28/17 at 19:00:36

Flat tracking may be growing ?   This is new to my area.

Lynchburg_Flat_track_info.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 01/29/17 at 03:19:31

Yep, picked up a card at a dealership advertising a pro flat track race in June.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 01/29/17 at 07:35:31

Sometimes I feel like I'm flat-tracking when we do QUICK Dragon runs !  on the S-40 .... not so much on the Harley ...

Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 01/29/17 at 07:55:06

This article is from last year but it's a pretty good look at the technical aspects of the new bikes. The videos are pretty cool too.

http://www.cycleworld.com/harley-davidson-xg-750r-flat-track-racer-motorcycle...

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 01/31/17 at 00:09:13

At last weeks bike show, there was an exhibition of 'flat track racing'. Every bike was a single dirt bike, not a flattracker among them. I may be wrong, but this may be a trend among sub-national tracks.  I left after 2 minutes, not impressed.  Cool

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 01/31/17 at 10:11:50

zipidachimp wrote on 01/31/17 at 00:09:13:
At last weeks bike show, there was an exhibition of 'flat track racing'. Every bike was a single dirt bike, not a flattracker among them. I may be wrong, but this may be a trend among sub-national tracks.  I left after 2 minutes, not impressed.  Cool  

There are two classes in AMA pro flat track racing. The Twins class, which used to be called the Expert class, and the Pro Singles class. The Twins class is mostly the more experienced pros and the factory riders. The Pro Singles is where the younger, up and coming riders learn their craft. In the past there was some overlap with the bikes because the experts were allowed to run singles on shorttracks (1/4mile tracks) and TT tracks. In addition, at some of the miles, the singles riders were allowed to run twins.

That's changed for 2017. Twins class riders have to run twins everywhere, and the younger riders have to run singles everywhere.

For quite a while now the bike of choice for the singles class has been a production motocross bike modified for flat track racing. Like this one:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2016/01/12/building-your-own-honda-crf450r-flat-tra...

Texter is a Twins class rider. The honda in the article is the bike he rode on 1/4 mile tracks and on TT tracks last year. He rode a Kawasaki twin on the big tracks last year, and will be on a twin everywhere in the season coming up.

The singles are pretty quick. Even on half mile tracks they sometimes turn lap times as fast as the bigger bikes.

The big advantage of the production based singles class bikes is economics though. Racing is expensive. Like Texter says in the article, these bikes help the younger pros, who are pretty much paying their own bills, get on the track with competitive machinery.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 01/31/17 at 18:15:28

I saw a picture of a 250 ninja converted to a Scrambler that would be GREAT  in the Hooligan class flat track.   Smiley

Dave I remember the power curve from ridding you ninja and I suspect it would get broad-side on a dirt track at the twist of the throttle .   Roll Eyes  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/01/17 at 08:18:39

I don't really know what it takes to ride flat track well.  I suspect suspension is not horribly critical - and the weight distribution and chassis geometry is most likely important when the back wheel starts to "hang out".

There is a very small oval dirt track in Lawrenceburg, IN that races go carts and motorcycles on Friday nights.  I went and watched a race last year - and most of the bike were dirt bikes with the correct dirt track tires.  The slower riders went around corners with the front/back wheel following each other - while the fellows in front knew how to let the back wheel drift out.  It sure looks like fun!

In my youth I had a TM125 Suzuki that I rode in the local abandoned strip mines for fun, and I raced Moto-X, Hare Scrambles and an occasional hillclimb on the weekends.  There was a local motorcycle track that had a flat track where I could have raced - however they did not allow you to use knobbies on the track........and I made $1.75 an hour at my job and I just couldn't afford an extra set of tires for trying it.......and the thought of changing a set of tires to do a race and then changing them back for my "dirt" riding just seemed overwhelming.  I am sorry that I never got a chance to try it when I had a bike/body that would have tolerated that kind of activity!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 13:23:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Flat Track news

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.