Got pulled over.... (Read 309 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Got pulled over....
Reply #15 - 01/28/17 at 10:50:42

raydawg wrote on 01/27/17 at 15:59:36:
I decided to get back into enjoying it, as opposed to HAVING to do it.

I've found myself riding sometimes because it's a nice sunny day, not because I want to. That's no way to ride! Do it because you love it, not because you have to. It's a far more enjoyable experience when you do it out of love!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #16 - 01/28/17 at 11:05:26

When my son did his driving test for bikes he forgot to put his foot down as well.  The examiner dinged him for it but he still passed.  They are allowed three minor mistakes.

Some police don't like to see a fellow standing on the pegs when riding.  No law against it and I often do it when in traffic to see what is going on ahead.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 01/28/17 at 12:39:07

You have considerably less control while standing on the pegs , while standing you are focusing too far ahead at freeway speed while lane splitting. Sitting you can better see cage drivers heads and react much faster and in full control. And we have the superman factor,while you are standing focusing too far ahead somethings happens just in front of you that split second longer it takes to sit and react or happens to fast to react while you are standing you hit a car still standing to test how far you can fly like superman,bad ending.Stand up to scope the field or to relieve your legs a minute but sit down that's why they put a seat on it ! Ride Safe !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 01/29/17 at 05:05:22

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 01/28/17 at 05:14:50:
Ditto on not putting my foot down, and either crawl or full stop, but no foot.  However, the probably purpose of the "5 second rule" is to make sure that rider makes one last look before pulling out.

Another side question from above post about headlights on all the time - I agree, but have any of you added any lights that strobe (like rear when brake is pressed) or in front on & strobing all the time?  If so, where did you get them and cost?

I have never owned a flasher for the headlight - but I did add an LED emergency flasher up front and I connected it to my passing light switch (models after 2004 have that switch on the left handlebar).

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1372162554/0

The brake light flasher modules are cheap and easy to install.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-controllers/brake-light-strob...

However Superbright LED's has an LED with the flasher built in, and it is a bit more expensive, far easier to install, and is far brighter than the stock bulb.....this is definitely a huge improvement in the Savage Tail light.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-w-brak...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1414166140/1#1

If you have more questions about the headlight/tail light flasher.....respond in the threads I linked or start your own thread - so we don't "Off Topic" Raydawgs thread too much.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #19 - 01/29/17 at 09:36:04

Ruttly wrote on 01/28/17 at 12:39:07:
You have considerably less control while standing on the pegs , while standing you are focusing too far ahead at freeway speed while lane splitting. Sitting you can better see cage drivers heads and react much faster and in full control. And we have the superman factor,while you are standing focusing too far ahead somethings happens just in front of you that split second longer it takes to sit and react or happens to fast to react while you are standing you hit a car still standing to test how far you can fly like superman,bad ending.Stand up to scope the field or to relieve your legs a minute but sit down that's why they put a seat on it ! Ride Safe !

I have another Suzuki thumper, a DR650.  I doubt you will convince a dual sport rider you have less control standing on the pegs. Roll Eyes  I also take the weight off the seat going over Texas gates and rail road tracks.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 01/29/17 at 10:17:08

Flint , I commute 800 miles a week in my pickup and see way too many bikes down and the aftermath isn't pretty. I ride with confidence  and I'm sure they did too. $hit happens fast so ride safe and don't be a statistic.
Been riding over 40 years and it's seems the ground has gotten harder over the years,feel all those crashes,don't heal as well or as fast so it's important that we keep the Rubberside Down !

Stay focused , Stay alive !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #21 - 01/29/17 at 13:40:34

Flint wrote on 01/29/17 at 09:36:04:
I have another Suzuki thumper, a DR650.  I doubt you will convince a dual sport rider you have less control standing on the pegs. Roll Eyes  I also take the weight off the seat going over Texas gates and rail road tracks.

+1. But standing on the savage's forward controls is a different matter for sure. Its something I have to do for brief moments going over a rough bit. Not something I'd be able to do long periods like on the DR.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #22 - 01/29/17 at 13:46:42

I have also ridden over 40 years - closer to 50, and as I get older, I get more wary of everything.  I started when 14, back in 1963, and in HS, got bigger and bigger Hondas as I worked at a Honda/Marine dealer.

Went to college, then purchased several used BMW's and gave it up for 20 years.  Then 4 years ago decided to ride again.  However, I literally get "scared" everytime before I go out for a ride.  Not afraid of me, but of everyone else!  

Needless to say, I ride very conservatively and not aggressive at all.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 01/29/17 at 19:12:16

If I stopped at a stop sign for a full 5 seconds, these Colorado City Folk would run me over!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #24 - 01/29/17 at 19:32:19

Rodger wrote on 01/29/17 at 19:12:16:
If I stopped at a stop sign for a full 5 seconds, these Colorado City Folk would run me over!

Not to mention the Harley riders.....
Not sure why they like to push Jap bikes, but I know as fact they do not like being behind one.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 01/30/17 at 05:32:27

@raydawg....

The group I used to ride with was mostly HD riders. Nice folks & good friends, but they rode a little too close in formation for my tastes. One suicidal dog or deer & headlines could read "8 bike pile-up on U.S. Hwy 26 West...."

Sooo, I always rode "trail" at the back of the pack, where I could have some control over my space-cushion.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #26 - 01/31/17 at 08:47:36

Hey Oldrider, this is what I thought of after I read your little story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xm4DeaFLts

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #27 - 01/31/17 at 09:21:25

LOL! that is funny Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 01/31/17 at 10:53:16

raydawg wrote on 01/29/17 at 19:32:19:
Not to mention the Harley riders.....
Not sure why they like to push Jap bikes, but I know as fact they do not like being behind one.

Too True! Once, while waiting at a stoplight on my XT225, one pulled alongside and advised me to "Get a F---in' motorcycle!" I responded kindly, "I didn't know motorcycles could do that." Roll Eyes

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #29 - 02/01/17 at 06:22:04

While wearing my "Harley Davidson" jacket and riding my Ninja 300, I had two riders pull up behind me and yell "Hey hope you know that ain't no harley"
I pushed up my modular front looked back (grungy looking beard and grandpa face) and low and behold they were on sportsters (big grin), I yelled back, " yeah, my road glide is in the garage, with my four other bikes."
"So why are you riding your girlfriends bike?"
I might add my jacket is old and sun faded, they were wearing those new faux leather vests.... yup, you know the type.
My bud kevin got a great laugh out of it, guess they didn't want to mess with to old grungy looking riders Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 09:30:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Got pulled over....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.