Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Suzuki's published 'shifting up' schedule, query (Read 268 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Suzuki's published 'shifting up' schedule, query
01/24/17 at 20:41:54

I can't figure out what they mean. It looks like they mean at 20kph shift to 2nd, at 30kph shift to 3rd etc. But that doesn't make sense, who would shift to 4th gear at 25mph and why? This is from the latest S40 user manual. I have tried to interpret the data in various other ways without success.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Suzuki's published 'shifting up' schedule, que
Reply #1 - 01/24/17 at 20:52:18

It looks like Suzuki publishes that in an attempt to keep emissions down.

LOL

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/24/17 at 21:16:41

I wouldn't do it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 01/24/17 at 22:10:17

NOW that would be lugging! If the shift points they list for km/h were under miles /h they would look fairly good . That would put your shift points at 28 ,42,56,and 70 km/h. You could round these of to 30, 40,55,and 70 to keep things simple.these would be shift points for gently going from 0to 70 km/h.If you are entering a highway on ramp where the speeds to merge with traffic were 90-100km/h you might be shifting up at slightly higher speeds.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 01/24/17 at 22:11:37

shift up at a minimum of 3000 rpm so you'll be over 2000 rpm in the next gear to ovoid lugging it.

WWW   IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #5 - 01/24/17 at 23:13:44

OK, so then I'm correct in thinking that these figures are utter nonsense and there is no other way to interpret the data. I was trying to work out if maybe they mean the indicated speeds were how much faster you can go in a particular gear from the speed you were at before shifting up and other such convolutions because I could not believe that Suzuki would post such obviously wrong speeds. Shifting speeds that, as has been pointed out, would actually do damage to the bike. Because we are always told 'follow the manual' it's written by the engineers and they know more than you what the bike requires'. But apparently they don't.

Since the mph chart has been posted, I'm going to repost the kph chart here.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 01/24/17 at 23:26:14

Batman, I think you have cracked it. Because the speeds in kph are suspiciously rounded off at 10's, and if those speeds were in mph and converted to kph, as you say, then they are pretty well what I already do.

Therefore I think that the kph speeds were in fact really originally mph speeds and as this was probably corrected for Australia, that whoever set it up, mistakenly used the mph speeds as they were and just added "kph" without converting, and then compounded the error by converting the now incorrect kph speed back to mph. If you can follow that. Mystery solved.

This raises an interesting legal argument. If some newbie damaged their engine by continual lugging and then pointed to the user manual, they could not be held responsible for warranty claims.

batman wrote on 01/24/17 at 22:10:17:
NOW that would be lugging! If the shift points they list for km/h were under miles /h they would look fairly good . That would put your shift points at 28 ,42,56,and 70 km/h. You could round these of to 30, 40,55,and 70 to keep things simple.these would be shift points for gently going from 0to 70 km/h.If you are entering a highway on ramp where the speeds to merge with traffic were 90-100km/h you might be shifting up at slightly higher speeds.

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #7 - 01/25/17 at 06:02:21

eau de sauvage wrote on 01/24/17 at 20:41:54:
I can't figure out what they mean. It looks like they mean at 20kph shift to 2nd, at 30kph shift to 3rd etc. But that doesn't make sense, who would shift to 4th gear at 25mph and why? This is from the latest S40 user manual. I have tried to interpret the data in various other ways without success.

https://s27.postimg.org/es04ebeeb/chart.jpg

this is whats in my manual as well.  5th gear at 30 mph was just silly, only did that once.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/25/17 at 07:11:01

For me to hit fifth I need to either be Gently cruising on level or slight downhill to see 45 on the speedo. If I'm hustling or uphill, I'm not shifting before 50.
I don't look at the speed before I change, I am listening to the engine. I do sometimes glance down after a change, to see how I'm doing.
Pull away, accelerate, 20, hit second
30, third, and so on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Reply #9 - 01/25/17 at 09:30:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/25/17 at 07:11:01:
For me to hit fifth I need to either be Gently cruising on level or slight downhill to see 45 on the speedo. If I'm hustling or uphill, I'm not shifting before 50.
I don't look at the speed before I change, I am listening to the engine. I do sometimes glance down after a change, to see how I'm doing.
Pull away, accelerate, 20, hit second
30, third, and so on.

Agreed, just listen to your engine, it will tell you when it wants a shift up.....and shout when you ignore!!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #10 - 01/25/17 at 10:20:52

IF you are just ambling along on a flat road Suzuki's  speeds do work but I use higher speeds normally. The engine sounds happier. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 01/25/17 at 10:49:12

You have to keep in mind that torque peaks at about 3300to3500 rpm so shift points should be at least near or above that level for good performance, say 3000 to4500 depending on the speed your trying to obtain. Your rate of acceleration at 3400rpm may be 7ft/per sec but falls off to about 1or 2 ft/per sec at 5000to5500 rpm (past time to shift) where it may be 5ft/per sec at 4500rpm (a more reasonable max shift point),which brings you back closer to 3400 and you are again at the rate of 6-7 ft./per sec .(acceleration  numbers are just ballpark )

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #12 - 01/25/17 at 13:56:56

I'm still relearning the shifting since having the cam and bore mods done. I'd say roughly I'm up 10 mph for 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift points and about 20 mph higher into 4th. I've finally put it in 5th at I think 70+ mph.
So for the most part I'm down to a 4 speed. Last 4 speed I rode was a 1980 Honda ATC 110 - 4 down and auto clutch. Easy to get into trouble once the big balloons started bouncing.

Anyway, I'm getting it figured out again. Takes practice - lots of it!  Wink

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 01/25/17 at 16:38:25

Philthymike,your new cam will change the peak torque to around 4,000rpm ,and your shift points higher.With your engine build you have become a "wicker",and yes you will find that you'll be riding in 4th gear most of the time ,with 5th gear becoming an overdrive that will be used to save fuel only at speeds used on the superslab,65+ mph.

« Last Edit: 01/26/17 at 08:49:58 by batman »  

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 01/26/17 at 13:09:20

Ive thumped uphill in 5th doin 30 no lugging

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:15:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suzuki's published 'shifting up' schedule, query

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.