Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Suzuki's published 'shifting up' schedule, query (Read 268 times)
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Re: Suzuki's published 'shifting up' schedule, que
Reply #15 - 01/26/17 at 14:35:44

Tachometers are a wonderful (reasonably inexpensive and easily installed) device....  Smiley

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #16 - 01/26/17 at 14:44:38

My Ryca mini tach arrived in the mail today, after a two week wait.

It's taking everything I've got to not drop what I'm doing (which needs done right now) and go out and install it!

I might be a wee bit excited  Cool

BTW, it's a great looking unit  Smiley

old.indian wrote on 01/26/17 at 14:35:44:
Tachometers are a wonderful (reasonably inexpensive and easily installed) device....  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #17 - 01/26/17 at 17:36:31

There's a 30 mph road a little ways down from the house that's ALWAYS patrolled by the cops. At 30 mph, I'm in 3rd gear. The bike isn't happy in 4th. How are you guys getting away with using 5th?  Shocked

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 01/26/17 at 17:42:20

If you build your motor and you want to use 5th gear you could go to chain drive and do the opposite of others,use a 13;43 setup 3.308 ,you wont be able to hit the "ton" and you will use more fuel ,but you'll get to 90mph real fast.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 01/26/17 at 18:18:07

Kris01 wrote on 01/26/17 at 17:36:31:
There's a 30 mph road a little ways down from the house that's ALWAYS patrolled by the cops. At 30 mph, I'm in 3rd gear. The bike isn't happy in 4th. How are you guys getting away with using 5th?  Shocked

This...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 01/26/17 at 19:37:44

It's called lugging the engine JOG
I come out of first at 25 , my bike does not like & wasn't built to be lugged at low rpm in too high a gear. Twist n Shift n Go ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 01/27/17 at 05:17:41

Why are we worried about these charts?!!!!

I've never owned a motorcycle with a tachometer(or at least a working one).  I just ride and shift when needed.  It's not hard to tell when power flattens from stretching a low gear too far (over-revving is to motorcycles as The Law of Diminishing Returns is to Economics  Smiley)  or when hanging onto a taller gear too long (or grabbing it too early) makes the motor struggle to chug along, i.e. lugging.

Besides, every bike and every rider is different.  I'm 6'3" and weigh 250 lbs (I'm working on that weight now lol).  My is mostly stock bike might lug at a specific speed in second gear when I'm on it, but it could chug along fine if my 120 lb wife was riding it at that same speed in the same gear.  But what if I'm going up hill, downhill, on a flat or riding at higher elevations?  These conditions are constantly changing.  Do we need charts for that too? 

What we hear, see and feel are what matters most and probably why we all ride in the first place.  So what's the point of these charts and why do any of us really care about them?????

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 01/27/17 at 05:31:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/25/17 at 07:11:01:
For me to hit fifth I need to either be Gently cruising on level or slight downhill to see 45 on the speedo. If I'm hustling or uphill, I'm not shifting before 50.
I don't look at the speed before I change, I am listening to the engine. I do sometimes glance down after a change, to see how I'm doing.
Pull away, accelerate, 20, hit second
30, third, and so on.
---------------------------
This!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 01/27/17 at 05:32:09

Om,this topic was started by a newbie,he was reading to learn ,he is probably riding his first bike and doesn't know what it should sound or act like.the fact that Suzuki needs to do a better job of proof reading ,before they print ,was the cause of confusion .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 01/27/17 at 09:41:33

One of the things that some of us "old guys" need to remember is......that there are a whole lot of younger folks who never have driven a car that wasn't fuel injected - or had a manual transmission.  These folks have never experienced driving with a manual choke, and the fun of using the accelerator pedal to keep the engine from dying in that weird zone where the engine is too warm to use the choke - yet still too cold to run without it.

We have had several new members who didn't expect that their engine will not idle well for the first few minutes after a cold start......their fuel injected car has never acted like that.

And a lot of these young folks have always had a car that did the shifting for them - and some modern cars even have computers that adapt the shifting to suite your driving style.

Luckily the Savage is pretty forgiving, and isn't likely to get broken or burned up from being abused (provided you keep oil in it and pay attention to the cam chain tensioner).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #25 - 01/27/17 at 10:19:32

EVERYTHING these days is too automated! Where's the fun in that?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #26 - 01/27/17 at 15:27:00

I go riding in southern New Mexico and on my route there are some villages with 30/35 mph speed limits. The gear that I use is always 3rd or  possibly 4th, nearly always 3rd.

The engine seems happier Smiley.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:25:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suzuki's published 'shifting up' schedule, query

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.