Send Topic Print
Good tires??? (Read 130 times)
TheDude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Good tires???
01/23/17 at 21:32:16

I have a 95 savage with a 100/90-19 front tire and 140/90-15 rear. Off hand I don't remember the names but weren't the best. Any ideas on good tires that I wouldn't be afraid to lean with also good for rain. I got some curvy roads my way and just want to be comfortable on how far I'd be able to lean. Thanks for the info!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Good tires???
Reply #1 - 01/24/17 at 03:36:53

Any "fresh" tire will have enough dry grip that you will be able to lean until the footpegs drag.  And most new tires have good wet grip until the tire has the tread worn off - or is so old the rubber compound is getting hard.

Everything you need to know (hopefully) is in this thread,  If you only ride a few thousand miles a year the affordable Shinko tires will offer you a good value - if you ride 20,000 miles in a couple years - then a premium tire like the Michelin Commander might be a better value.  Don't buy a high mileage tire that will harder and rot away long before you use the tread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1448021014

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/24/17 at 08:01:52

I concur. I used this thread this time last year and decided on Shinko. Very pleased with the result.

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #3 - 01/24/17 at 09:13:50

Duro makes a good replacement tire as well.

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 01/24/17 at 11:14:34

The Shinko 712 is the cheaper Shinko tire and on the rear it lasted about 8K miles. Good wet and dry grip, great all around tire. I now have a set of Shinko TourMaster 230 tires (front and back) and so far very pleased with how they handle. I am hoping to get at least 12K on the rear. The Shinko guy I spoke with said the TourMaster is a newer design, better all around tire.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
whoisrawb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/30/17 at 18:13:48

I just put the Metzler 888 on mine about 200 miles into them and theyre working sweet

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 01/30/17 at 19:38:44

Got Metzlers on my sportster , top shelf tires , stickies !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 01/30/17 at 20:10:17

Metzlers last a good while. They may dry rot before they're used up if you don't ride too often.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/31/17 at 04:28:49

Kris01 wrote on 01/30/17 at 20:10:17:
Metzlers last a good while. They may dry rot before they're used up if you don't ride too often.

Yep.....from a cost standpoint, you should buy a tire that you will wear out in 4-5 years of riding.  If you ride a couple thousand miles a year the Shinko tires will do well for you.  If you ride 5,000 miles a year....then maybe the more expensive Metzlers or Michelin tires would be a better bargain.  From a performance and safety point of view....you don't want to be riding on tires that are more than 5 years old.....and it does not make a lot of sense to buy a tire that is only half-worn in 5 years and ready to be replaced as the rubber has become hard and does not provide good traction.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:39:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Good tires???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.