Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Diesel ignition moves into new gas car engines (Read 163 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Diesel ignition moves into new gas car engines
01/22/17 at 21:36:44

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/01/16/mazda-reportedly-introducing-sparkless...

What does this mean?    Run 18 to one compression ratios, use any fuel, use direct injector tech to deliver the burnables to the hot compressed air at computer controlled (variable) VERY LEAN injected ratios.  

USING GASOLINE (alcohol blends) will keep emissions down vs diesel fuels so it is coming to the marketplace first as an emissions based imperative.

Several automakers and engineering outfits have been working on HCCI in recent years, but issues with cold starting and the precise timing of the combustion make it a difficult technology to engineer.

One solution has been the incorporation of part-time spark plugs that kick in at certain temperatures or engine loads. Mazda hasn’t publicly revealed its plans, or exactly how its version works.

..... duh, remember glow plugs?    Just use a glow plug and a richer mix temporarily to help you get the engine started and warmed up good.

« Last Edit: 01/27/17 at 04:52:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Diesel ignition moves into new gas car engines
Reply #1 - 01/22/17 at 21:45:47

So, what do you suppose getting rid of plug wires will cost?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 01/22/17 at 21:58:09

A lot of blown head gaskets ! 20:1 compression means 2000psi cylinder pressure!If they use it on the rotary engine the seal on the tips of the rotors aren't going to last long either .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 01/23/17 at 17:12:53

I've got a Mazda6 running 13:1 on 87 octane pump gas. I have a friend running 13:1 on 110LL AvGas in his 350 '68 Camaro. Go figure!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/23/17 at 17:47:57

Kris01 wrote on 01/23/17 at 17:12:53:
I've got a Mazda6 running 13:1 on 87 octane pump gas. I have a friend running 13:1 on 110LL AvGas in his 350 '68 Camaro. Go figure!

Part of that is the shape of the combustion chamber....and the size.  As the flame front travels away from the spark plug, the temperature of the fuel/air mix increases ahead of the flame- and when it gets hot enough it will detonate if it is not all burned.  On the Mazda the flame travels a shorter distance than on the Chevy 350....and a fuel injected engine has a computer that can sense knock and make timing adjustments.  It is hard to believe that all this can happen 50 times a second!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 01/23/17 at 19:32:47

Years & years ago US Army had a jeep with 4wd & 4w independent suspension & disc brakes able to drive in water up to the drivers nose ! 4 cylinder with a single fuel tank , engine had fuel injection and spark plugs,was able to use gas,diesel,alcohol,paint thinners,perfumes almost anything the burns ! I'm not sure how it determined what fuel it was burning or if it mattered ! It was named the "Mighty Mite" and it would go anywhere on any fuel. The Hummer has the chassis designed the same way but runs on diesel !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 01/23/17 at 21:48:24

Kris avgas is a joke! the octane in avgas is for planes with motors running 3000rpm at 5,000 ft ? A gal of avgas about 6lbs. a gal of reg gas about 8lbs their made from different chemical bases for two very different uses. If you believe that avgas is better than pump gas your fooling yourself.It's used in planes because it doesn't freeze and the air is thin ,giving the motor a rather slow burn rate ,thus the need for higher octane !Octane has nothing to due with power,but is in fact,only the measure of a fuel's resistance to detonation .While your friend with the vette doesn't have to worry about detonation ,he's not running "racing fuel".A good grade of pump gas should give better mileage and performance.

« Last Edit: 01/23/17 at 23:32:10 by batman »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/24/17 at 03:50:26

Avgas is made by combining 70% Alkylate, 15% Isopentane, 15% Toluene, and then they add blue dye, Scavenger and Antioxidant chemicals.  It keeps forever and will evaporate and not leave any gum or varnish behind - but as Batman stated it doesn't burn very well in a high RPM motor.  If the engine knocks and pings it can help to cut down on that - but it does burn slow and won't help the engine make any more HP.

I use it when I put things away for long term storage.....I run out all the E10 fuel and then run a bit of Avgas 100LL through to flush out any traces of Ethanol.  You can't do this in anything with a catalytic converter or Oxygen sensor, as the lead will ruin those parts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 01/24/17 at 05:36:55

batman wrote on 01/23/17 at 21:48:24:
Kris avgas is a joke! the octane in avgas is for planes with motors running 3000rpm at 5,000 ft ? A gal of avgas about 6lbs. a gal of reg gas about 8lbs their made from different chemical bases for two very different uses. If you believe that avgas is better than pump gas your fooling yourself.It's used in planes because it doesn't freeze and the air is thin ,giving the motor a rather slow burn rate ,thus the need for higher octane !Octane has nothing to due with power,but is in fact,only the measure of a fuel's resistance to detonation .While your friend with the vette doesn't have to worry about detonation ,he's not running "racing fuel".A good grade of pump gas should give better mileage and performance.

Correct. Avgas is distilled for long life and constant throttle application. From an octane standpoint, 100LL is about the equivalent of 92-93 mogas.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 01/24/17 at 17:58:40

Hmmm, well I may be wrong then. My point was that he HAS TO USE higher than usual octane because of his higher compression while I can use good ol' 87 octane.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 01/24/17 at 23:40:52

Kris ,your friend  could advance his spark timing this would advance the flame front before the compression gets high enough to cause detonation..

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 01/26/17 at 17:38:08

It also makes the engine a little more responsive.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 01/27/17 at 05:01:50

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140106/OEM06/301069997/mazda-pins-improved-...

Mazda engineers aim to eke the gains by cranking up the engine's compression ratio to 18:1, from a current level of 14:1. Higher compression tends to improve fuel economy because they can achieve the same combustion temperature with a leaner mix of fuel. Mazda says the 14:1 ratio in its first-generation Skyactiv gasoline engine is the world's highest.

That system may help Mazda comply with 2025 emissions targets.

It would limit the fluctuation of heat in the combustion chamber to reduce losses from exhaust and cooling, Hitomi said. That would make more energy available for powering the wheels.

This is shooting for the 30% EPA improvement requirements for 2025

...... as if Trump is going to let the future stupid EPA rules stand, choking down his "Make America Great" to a halt.   However, it is a readily doable tech that has all the parts already in widespread use in the car industry.   And even if they are mebbe initially failing to hit the 2025 targets right off the bat the trick still yields something quite tasty for meeting the 2020 EPA requirements.

Downsides is that the trick doesn't work at high RPM or very low RPM or a rapidly, constantly shifting RPM --- look to see it mated with CVT transmissions that are computer controlled to run at the RPM sweet spots and look to see that most all the car speed changes are done at a constant "sweet spot" RPM by computer controlled wide range CVT transmissions.

Note:  my Cube does this already, it naturally seeks 1200 rpm, 2000 rpm and 3600 rpm for making and controlling engine HP and it uses the CVT for the speed shifts up and down.  

This is existing tech, well understood.

The new Mazda will not be a sports car, it will be a mileage car, a daily driver with so-so acceleration, but unlike today's battery vehicles it will have endless range and rapid refueling (same as we enjoy today) and it will fall into normal car price ranges.

By striking first with both announcements and patents, Mazda hopes to get royalties from all car makers that go this route in the next 7 years or so .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 01/27/17 at 07:21:42

How do you FIND such interesting, informative stuff?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 01/27/17 at 10:15:40

Thanks OF! That all makes sense. My car gets nearly the same mpg as the bike. Always a plus!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:25:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Diesel ignition moves into new gas car engines

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.