Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fixed the speedo rattle and squeek - 2 minutes. (Read 33 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Fixed the speedo rattle and squeek - 2 minutes.
01/20/17 at 01:30:16

For anyone looking to fix that darned rattley-squeeky thing going on with the speedo. It can take as little as two minutes.

I had the tank off to access the carb. So I did some reading on the mods for the speedo. I didn't have the parts handy to follow the instructions but I just couldn't put the tank back on knowing it was going to continue to squeak. That thing sounds like a mosquito flying around your ear while you're trying to sleep!

Someone mentioned they had stretched the springs about 50% with a couple of pairs of pliers. Given that my bike is only a couple of years old, everything in there was in good condition (no rust etc), so I gave it a go.

I undid the bolts as indicated in the photo, pulled the springs out and gave them a yank, put them back in, dabbed a touch of WD40 on the little mounts they sit around for good measure, and remounted the tank.

Good lord above, now I can actually hear this thumper doing all it's thumpy things. It's like getting a tooth filled and realising afterward just how much discomfort you had normalised.

speedo_housing_2.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fixed the speedo rattle and squeek - 2 minutes
Reply #1 - 01/20/17 at 09:37:54

I had the tank off to access the carb.

Yeah, that does cut the time down considerably.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Fixed the speedo rattle and squeek - 2 minutes
Reply #2 - 01/20/17 at 11:19:39

Haha ... true!

Add 5 minutes to get the seat and tank off .... oh, and a little bit of time to drain the tank first Cool

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/20/17 at 09:37:54:
I had the tank off to access the carb.

Yeah, that does cut the time down considerably.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:21:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fixed the speedo rattle and squeek - 2 minutes.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.