stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Dish or DirecTV
01/19/17 at 12:51:35

I have DirecTV and have had it before and again this time for about 4 years. Tired of paying too much after the "12 month" introductory pricing. Considering switching to Dish which will save me about 30% per month.

Aside from pricing, for those of you that have had service with both of these satellite TV providers, which would you rate as more satisfactory?

I am sure I will be making the switch unless DirecTV matches the pricing (they probably won't and probably don't care), but curious of any BUYER BEWARE or horror stories for switching to DISH.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Dish or DirecTV
Reply #1 - 01/19/17 at 12:54:39

Our tv is part of a package, internet, phone and tv.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/19/17 at 12:58:51

Have you considered dropping TV and get over the internet tv?

There's one advertised for $20 monthly

WWW   IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/19/17 at 13:09:52

I personally have DirecTV - someone in my family had Dish and wasn't very happy with it - they had to have 2 dishes, it was slow, etc.  However, that was several years ago - things may have changed.

When this last contract runs out on my DirecTV - I'm going the way of the internet.  Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and network sites, I won't miss anything.  All my local programming is free thanks to broadcast.

Good luck!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/19/17 at 13:31:28

I have Direct TV, as we cannot get cable at home.  We have the basic service that started out at #$ 29.95 a month.

The prices went up on us, and we paid it for a year - but then I called and wanted to drop the service as it was too expensive.  (There is something weird about the area we live in, and we need to have the "Advanced DVR Receiver", and so they do allow a $ 6.00 adjustment in the service fee as we did not request that equipment.)  When you call and threaten to drop the service, eventually they will agree to drop the cost of the service to the minimum $ 29.95 or whatever your original cost was - but they only do it for 12 months and you have to call and spend the time arguing with them every time they bump your cost back up.

Turns out you can do the same thing with Cincinnati Bell for our home telephone/internet bundle.  When you call and want them to drop the service - they will begin to negotiate a suitable monthly cost!  It appears they prefer to keep the customers even if they don't get a large payment.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 01/19/17 at 13:40:23

verslagen1 wrote on 01/19/17 at 12:58:51:
Have you considered dropping TV and get over the internet tv?

There's one advertised for $20 monthly

Unfortunately we can't go that route.  We are rural and only have satellite internet so we are on a limited bandwidth and can't do on demand and other things that require hooking up the DVR (or computer) to the internet to stream shows. Otherwise I would!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 01/19/17 at 13:51:01

I dropped my cable TV, kept internet and added NetFlix, SlingTV, Amazon Prime, and Youtube Red.

The cable TV that I dropped cost $80/mo, the TV/Movie subscriptions that I get (using a Roku), cost about $55/month.

The big thing I'm missing, still, is local channels. SlingTV said they may be adding local stations, but I haven't seen them yet.

DirectTVNow (internet version of direct TV), looks interesting, I may try that, if they ever get the Roku app working.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 01/19/17 at 15:08:02

I'm in the boonies ,the only dish I have is the one that allows me to be typing this. I've had both dish and direct and I don't think either is worth the money ,half the time it doesn't work do to weather (snow )and I hate seeing the same movies every three months.I went to the store and purchased a decent outdoor  antenna and get 21 stations ,weather providing ,but if it doesn't ,it costs nothing. with the money saved ,I have managed to build a movie collection of vcr's and disc's that number 600 and still growing ,both new and classic ,that I enjoy without commercial interruption.I have friends near enough that we buy new releases and borrow back and forth.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 01/19/17 at 16:39:10

Stew

I get 32 channels on my outside antenna , and I'm 70 miles away from the station in Nashville.   Cost was about $30.oo delivered from Ebay then $20.oo for 20 feet of pole from Lowes.  Cable and remote for spinning comes with the Antenna !  Wink    

The new digital antenna are nothing like the old anti-log models.    

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 01/19/17 at 16:51:07

I got rid of that years and have no regrets.   Smiley

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 01/20/17 at 05:57:56

Can't vote , ain't never had neither , who won the election?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 01/20/17 at 06:41:37

MMRanch wrote on 01/19/17 at 16:39:10:
Stew

I get 32 channels on my outside antenna , and I'm 70 miles away from the station in Nashville.   Cost was about $30.oo delivered from Ebay then $20.oo for 20 feet of pole from Lowes.  Cable and remote for spinning comes with the Antenna !  Wink    

The new digital antenna are nothing like the old anti-log models.    

Smiley    

Yeah, I helped my dad do the same last year as he was sick of paying so much for stuff he rarely watched.   If my wife would let me, I would get an antenna and do the same thing.  While technically between my wife and I we can "afford" the cable bill, is it really that critical to have 200 channels and spend that kind of money on mostly junk reality TV shows about what color and type of underwear someone wore to an award show or what housewife is divorcing her rich husband this week?

I disconnected completely from all social media about 5 years ago (no facebook, twitter, chat-this, chat-that, insta-this, insta-that) and never regretted it for a minute and my life seems much better now and I think a reduced YV channel lineup wouldn't hurt. The closest thing I do media related other than watch a little TV is this forum, and that's about it.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 01/20/17 at 22:26:56

Stew

We're all glad you got your priorities in order :

The closest thing I do media related other than watch a little TV is this forum, and that's about it.

Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #13 - 01/21/17 at 15:56:01

I think you are right Stewmills, when NZ went to digital television three years ago, I never upgraded the set or brought a conversion box so my analogue set could receive digital. I hadn't watched TV  for years anyway, for similar reasons to yours. I get my news off a public service radio broadcaster, admittedly government funded. Every penny spent on TV advertising is wasted on me, and the same goes for commercial radio and newspapers. If I'm interested in a product or service, I google it and get the info I want. I've got ad blocking software, thanks to OF. I'm on this forum and an antique car forum and that's my social media, none of the big sites.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #14 - 01/21/17 at 16:26:30

A wile back, I had to make some cuts to my budget.  $30 for cable + $30 for internet, + $60 for my smart phone = $120 month.  Or $1440 a year.  Or $14400 over ten years.  I dropped cable and internet, and kept the cell.  A couple of the local stations play old westerns and reruns of old sitcoms.  I use the internet at work in my spare time or after hours if needed.  I can also use the wi-fi at the local donut shop if needed.  The cell is a necessity, and the internet is there if I need it to look up something, but not enough data to watch a bunch of videos.  So basically, I've got more free time on my hands and saved $700 a year......Hmmmm, how could I spend that on my bike... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:30:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dish or DirecTV

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.