Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Honda CB400SS (Read 410 times)
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honda CB400SS
01/12/17 at 17:57:18

Why can't we get these here? Only sold in Japan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh3U4-D3zCw

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Honda CB400SS
Reply #1 - 01/12/17 at 23:16:55

Honda USA, may not think there's a market, how are sales of the Yamaha 400 going over there? Would the bike meet US emission standards. Do people want kick starts?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/13/17 at 04:33:53

That is a nice looking bike, and I would buy one of those before I bought a 250 or 400 Rebel.

What it the finned aluminum tank behind the engine.....is this a dry sump engine?

It is a shame that we have a pretty limited selection for "standard" style motorcycles in the US.  Yamaha SR400, Suzuki TU250....Royal Enfield.  And nobody really offers a believable Cafe' or  Tracker style bike.....there are a few attempts at Scramblers.  I am sure that corporate research shows that there won't be enough sales to justify making one - but who at Honda thought that the NM4 would be something that people would buy?  I wonder if Honda has sold any?

http://powersports.honda.com/touring/2016/nm4.aspx

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/13/17 at 04:53:21

Dude needs to take his hand off the throttle when he's trying to start that thing.  He's using a 2-stroke technique (cracking the throttle) which doesn't work with well with 4-strokes.  This lost some races for motocrossers when they switched to 4-strokes.  

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/13/17 at 04:58:49

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 01/13/17 at 07:16:26

jcstokes wrote on 01/12/17 at 23:16:55:
Honda USA, may not think there's a market, how are sales of the Yamaha 400 going over there? Would the bike meet US emission standards. Do people want kick starts?

Not good, I don't think. The sales manager of one of the largest dealerships near me told me that they have never ordered one for their showroom, and that they get very few people asking about them.

I think the biggest problem here is not the kick start though, rather it's the price. $5,999 MSRP.

With tax and the other fees that's pretty close to 7 thousand US dollars out the door. That's just too much for what this bike is IMO.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 01/13/17 at 12:05:01

I happen to like the CB400, but then again I grew up on bikes like that. I don't think people out shopping for a first bike would look twice at the old tech CB (unless it's priced at $2,499). In the US, that bike appeals to the guy that has been away from bikes since he trashed his Dynamite-8 or maybe...just maybe...a hipster looking for a retro ride (which means it will belong to the old guy in about 6 months).

Me, I see cafe racer. But I look at almost every bike with what it could be.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #7 - 01/13/17 at 12:43:24

oldNslow wrote on 01/13/17 at 07:16:26:
jcstokes wrote on 01/12/17 at 23:16:55:

Not good, I don't think. The sales manager of one of the largest dealerships near me told me that they have never ordered one for their showroom, and that they get very few people asking about them.

I think the biggest problem here is not the kick start though, rather it's the price. $5,999 MSRP.

With tax and the other fees that's pretty close to 7 thousand US dollars out the door. That's just too much for what this bike is IMO.

At that price, the re-released Honda CB1100 isn't that much of a stretch at $11,000.   Huh  Granted, it is a little larger bike, but...... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 01/13/17 at 17:12:10

That price is a bummer,to bad because I think this bike has a lot going for it. Good disk brake ,external cam chain tensioner,shocks with progressive springs. I think the motor has potential as well,1 cyl but 4 valves and duel cams and exhaust ,a bore larger than the stroke ,and last but not least a carb ,that could be swapped for something better. bike weight of 306lbs ,it could make a good base for a scrambler or café, 29hp @7000rpm (but what's the red line?) I think with a little work this bike could easily do the ton. bty . I looked at Honda's home page and I believe I saw where these bikes were allowed to be shipped and sold in the us and Canada,I just think Honda America didn't want to bother after watching Yamaha 's sales of their 400.

« Last Edit: 01/13/17 at 22:15:22 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/14/17 at 02:28:37

In the olden days when I grew up, Honda would make an engine, then provide different models of the bike for those who rode on the street (CL), a scrambler model (CB) for those who might dip a toe off the pavement, and for those who wanted a dual sport bike(SL).  The bike shared a lot of common parts to help simplify the parts supply - but they were different enough to appeal to different buyers.

I don't see why companies couldn't continue that practice a bit more.  It would be great if the LS650 could be bought in a cruiser, standard and scrambler model - same for the Yamaha SR400, the Honda Rebel and the Kawasaki Vulcan S.  Yamaha did a poor job of trying to do this with their Bolt........it just didn't come off very well as there is just too much cruiser seating position in their scrambler and Cafe' models.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 01/14/17 at 08:10:50

Well?

Why don't we each email Suzuki, and spread the word then?
Asking for different versions of the S40?
Bobber would be the cheapest
Base model in the middle
Tracker/Scrambler high end (because it performs as the cruiser and off-road as a dual purpose)

There are tons of LS650/S40 fans out there!
Of course the bobber  company might dis-own us!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/14/17 at 10:49:41

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 01/13/17 at 12:05:01:
I happen to like the CB400, but then again I grew up on bikes like that. I don't think people out shopping for a first bike would look twice at the old tech CB (unless it's priced at $2,499). In the US, that bike appeals to the guy that has been away from bikes since he trashed his Dynamite-8 or maybe...just maybe...a hipster looking for a retro ride (which means it will belong to the old guy in about 6 months).

Me, I see cafe racer. But I look at almost every bike with what it could be.

Honda tried that with the 500 single Ascot. Lasted for 2 years, didn't sell. It was fast, all business and no beauty. I saw one a few years ago at Condotta's in Wenatchee, talked with the owner who loved it.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 01/14/17 at 11:37:29

Dave's comments on the Yamaha Bolt are interesting. I like it's look. I did sit on one once and the air box banged my knee, and there's a stupid digital speedo, I don't care how much more accurate it is. I don't think they're the greatest seller down here. I'm watching a second hand one, but still love the S40, the Bolt would have more grunt for overtaking.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/18/17 at 11:42:36

HAPPYDAN wrote on 01/12/17 at 17:57:18:
Why can't we get these here? Only sold in Japan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh3U4-D3zCw

Sweet - that sounds like an A-type Dream.... so nice!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 01/18/17 at 12:50:15

I would hang some flat track bars on that and ride the crap out of it !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:15:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Honda CB400SS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.