Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Forking around
Reply #15 - 01/13/17 at 18:07:10

Hey Ruttly,
I didn't post this as a way of wagging my finger and saying "You have to do this!". It was just a few notes about stuff I'm trying in case it might be of interest to someone. I get it that a lot of what I do isn't necessary. One is reminded of the story of one of Buddha's disciples asking "Master, why does a dog lick his nuts?" to which Buddha replied "Because he can!"
Wink
If you are happy with the forks, leave them alone.
Having said that, you took a mediocre fork and made it worse. Cutting out 1/2 the travel, using dog squeeze for fork oil, and then complaining that the forks are crap, is a spectacular level of cluelessness. Kinda reminds me of a bud that couldn't understand why he had so many health problems, and when I pointed out that being 425 lbs wasn't a good long term plan, he went into a rant about that being irrelevant.
Again, whatever works for you.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 01/13/17 at 20:01:01

Well if I was starting this project instead of nearing the finish I would do it , I can live with some brake dive , I'm not sure how to ride without brake dive , kinda part of my style !  Grin

Maybe on the next project , we will give it a try

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 01/13/17 at 20:24:38

Wow , didn't mean to upset you, pointing out that the forks are outdated , they are fine for my application. If I was building a cafe project I guess it would be a different story. I might have taken a different approach and just used a ninja or gsxr front end cause they just bolt on. Wish you could take it for a spin you might just like what this know nothing built

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/14/17 at 04:59:57

Too each his own guys. 

We all own this bike for different reasons.  Some because they like the look of the bike in stock trim.  Others because they see a nice platform for builds.  Some want performance, some want looks and some want both.

For me, I just wanted a simple  "older" looking bike with "modern" reliability that I could build at a relatively low cost.  If I wanted performance, I don't think I would have started with this bike.  (Mostly because I don't want to spend the time, effort and cash to do it.)  That sort of defeats the reason I bought it.  But those are my reasons and I'm not going to judge others who are doing their thing on here.  

I think it cool to see how someone else wants to do it and I appreciate others sharing their work.  It might inspire me to do something I wasn't planning on doing originally.  

That's one of the cool things about this community is the diversity of the members and the bikes we ride (even though they're all LS650/S40s).  I say more power too you all.  Do it your way.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:41:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Forking around

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.