Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fitting a tachometer to a S40 (Read 63 times)
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Fitting a tachometer to a S40
01/08/17 at 15:44:12

Today I fitted a Ryca Universal Mini Tachometer (came with handlebar clamp) to my 2015 S40. The mini clamp will not fit in the middle of the handlebar as it is double thickness on the S40 with the drag bar. No biggie, as I have a GPS there, so I fitted it on the left hand side of the tree.

I found different methods of hooking it up both from Ryca and on this forum. The Ryca instructions (sheet of paper in the Tachometer box) are: Green wire to negative terminal of the coil, black wire to ignition "on", blue wire to lamp on, red wire to ignition "on".

A favorite grounding method seems to be fitting the black wire under one of the screw holding the coil. Despite using the correct Japanese screwdriver, and then an impact screwdriver with a Philips #2 impact bit, I could not get the screws to turn, and I did not want to start drilling... so I extended the black wire and placed it under the screw holding the reflector on the left side of the bike.

For the other wires:

Green wire to negative coil terminal (B/Y loom wire for 2015 S40)
Blue and red together to positive coil terminal (O/W loom wire)

It works! Smiley

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Fitting a tachometer to a S40
Reply #1 - 01/08/17 at 17:22:56

JLC,

IIRC I had to replace the screws holding the coil on my S40 because I ruined the heads on the factory screws. I did use a JIS Screw Driver. I think I ended up heating the screws with a soldering iron and then using a small Vice Grip Pliers to remove them. I used Stainless Steel Allen Head Screws for replacements.

It doesn't matter where you grounded the tachometer, if it works you have it properly grounded.

I really enjoyed having a tach when I first started riding my S40 and now I use it instead of the speedometer that I seldom see.....

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Fitting a tachometer to a S40
Reply #2 - 01/08/17 at 19:54:19

A little off topic:

I found a wiring diagram on ThumperTalk that may adapt a "normal" tach to our CDI ignition. Anyone have a "regular" tach lying around and want to be the guinea pig?

tach_adapter.jpg

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:17:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fitting a tachometer to a S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.