Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Honda Self Balancing Motorcycle (Read 111 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Honda Self Balancing Motorcycle
01/06/17 at 08:50:57

Not sure,.. did they fix motorcycling's biggest problem,.. or suck all the life out of riding?....
Undecided
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeszAterN3M

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: Honda Self Balancing Motorcycle
Reply #1 - 01/06/17 at 09:37:18

Wow! So now when the robots become self-aware and decide to destroy humanity we can't even outrun them on motorcycles. Just great, there goes my escape strategy!  Angry

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 01/06/17 at 10:05:43

Just made riding drunk easier, not sure if that's good or bad !
Your thoughts on that Bot ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 01/06/17 at 10:21:01

If it had an on/off switch and only engaged at speeds under two miles an hour, it might be useful at stop lights/stop signs and when traffic is at a tedious crawl. Undecided  On the other hand, all these electronic nannies are taking the joy out of life. Sad

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 01/06/17 at 11:01:36

Why bother having a dog when you can have a motorcycle that will follow you!!!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/06/17 at 11:25:30

That's cool, but I'm waiting for the Virtual Reality Motorcycle Riding system that will allow me to wear my video helmet and sit on my Sim-Cycle and ride to my heart's content without leaving the comfort and safety of my living room. Grin I can hear you laughing, but there were skeptics of airplanes, atomic bombs, computers and cell phones, too. What's next? The Matrix? More and more, I believe Ted Kaczyinski (Unabomber) was right, just spread his message the wrong way.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 01/06/17 at 12:15:06

I would throw all that digital crap ina hole in the back yard ! Nothing replaces a motorcycle! As long as I can still buy gas Ruttly will be leaving a Bigfoot sized carbon footprint with my motorcycles ! Keep it simple !
It's the best thrill for me , I love to ride !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/06/17 at 12:46:42

Most older guys I know who have to give up riding do it because the bikes get too heavy for them.  Moving them in and out of a garage gets difficult and they worry about dropping them either in the garage or at stops and then being embarrassed because they can't pick them up without help.

This Honda takes care of both those problems, it also means that a guy with a bum leg or no lower leg could ride.  I think it is a great thing.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 01/06/17 at 12:59:47

Serowbot wrote on 01/06/17 at 08:50:57:
... or suck all the life out of riding?.... Undecided

My vote!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 01/06/17 at 16:18:30

I can see the benefit for someone who has balance problems, a bum leg or some other physical reason he can't ride. It could allow them to enjoy riding.

Since it self-balances, does it fight you leaning into a turn? Does it get all confused with countersteering and try to help you lean the wrong way? Does it decide how far you should lean when taking a curve? What happens when its position sensor takes a hit and needs recalibrating? It now thinks a 30º lean is straight up? It's one more thing to BREAK! How may state vehicle inspections will say 'if it's on there, its gotta work' requiring hundreds of dollars in repair costs?

Great idea but no thanks. Just because we can, does that mean we should?

There goes my bugout plans for when the zombie apocalypse happens if they can ride.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 01/06/17 at 16:23:28

I think they stretched it a little bit on the auto-follow thing.... I could almost believe the self balancing, but where is the large spinning gyro that counter-balances it? and how far will it lean before it falls over?

I am a born skeptic until I see the thing first hand.

I have been following the original self-balancing motorcycle for awhile, http://litmotors.com/
They have been at it for about five or six years... been awhile since I looked back on the site.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 01/06/17 at 16:43:16

Quote:
I can see the benefit for someone who has balance problems, a bum leg or some other physical reason he can't ride. It could allow them to enjoy riding.

Since it self-balances, does it fight you leaning into a turn? Does it get all confused with countersteering and try to help you lean the wrong way? Does it decide how far you should lean when taking a curve?

A switch on the handlebar to turn the system off would take care of that. Like the switch on ABS equipped ADV bikes that lets you turn off the ABS when riding off road.

I don't think it matters much though. The chance of seeing something like this on a production motorcycle is pretty slim I'd guess.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/06/17 at 17:48:48

The bike only self balances at 2-3 mph.  There is no gyro, the steering head angle changes so the forks are way out and it makes small steering adjustments to shift the wheel from side to side to keep it balanced.

It doesn't change the riding experience.  Here are a couple articles but there is a better one somewhere, just can't find it now.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a32162/honda-just-in...

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/01/06/hondas-self-balancing-bike-stands-alon...

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 01/06/17 at 21:25:24

I don't think I like Honda anymore !  Sad

So they won't get away from :Chains on most of their bikes (crazy) , belts are soooo-much better !
But they will go to self balancing ... ?   Undecided

I'll bet a re-introduced Honda 360 twin or 500 twin version , (as much like the original as could be ) would sell really good next year , especially if it had kick and electric start .   Cool   (compete with Yamaha 400 ).  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/08/17 at 07:40:06

MMRanch wrote on 01/06/17 at 21:25:24:
I don't think I like Honda anymore !  Sad

So they won't get away from :Chains on most of their bikes (crazy) , belts are soooo-much better !
But they will go to self balancing ... ?   Undecided

I'll bet a re-introduced Honda 360 twin or 500 twin version , (as much like the original as could be ) would sell really good next year , especially if it had kick and electric start .   Cool   (compete with Yamaha 400 ).  

You, Sir, are a man after my heart. I owned a CB360T, sold it in 1979. Great bike. With the 6-speed tranny and butter-smooth shifting, it was actually a nice highway bike as well as nimble around town.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 07:27:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Honda Self Balancing Motorcycle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.