Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Anyone got a Corbin seat - Opinions? (Read 550 times)
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Anyone got a Corbin seat - Opinions?
Reply #30 - 01/22/17 at 23:05:21

Island Road,

You are doing the right thing by making your motorbike fit you. You cannot really enjoy riding a bike that doesn't fit or is uncomfortable.

I am looking forward to seeing your results.

Kenny G

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #31 - 01/23/17 at 12:20:15

I know you didn't ask about "covers" but I got a sheepskin cover from http://alaskaleather.com/ ($50) last year and it is very comfy. Now it isn't going to solve all of your problems, but I had my seat foam professionally refoamed at the tailbone pressure points and added this sheepskin, and what a world of difference when you combine the two.

IMG_20160610_083417_002.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #32 - 01/26/17 at 00:01:08

Thanks Stew, I'm open to all suggestions  Smiley

That cover does look very comfortable!

stewmills wrote on 01/23/17 at 12:20:15:
I know you didn't ask about "covers" but I got a sheepskin cover from http://alaskaleather.com/ ($50) last year and it is very comfy. Now it isn't going to solve all of your problems, but I had my seat foam professionally refoamed at the tailbone pressure points and added this sheepskin, and what a world of difference when you combine the two.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #33 - 01/26/17 at 00:05:23

Well, I've done about ten hours of riding over the last the days, and the new shape on the seat is working out really well - no more sore tailbone and a little room to move. It makes the bike so much more enjoyable to ride.

I'm still going to experiment with padding it out a bit here and there, but I reckon the project is on track ☺

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #34 - 01/27/17 at 09:51:03

I hear that it is hotter than blazes in OZ

I rode around Phillip Island the other day (on Google street view) .. nice ride.  Wink

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #35 - 01/27/17 at 11:35:36

It's cooled down a bit over the last week or so ☺. We had a few days up around 37C (97F) a couple of weeks ago. Here in the south east of Aus, the temperature goes up and down alot over summer, but we usually get a couple of mini heat-waves where it hits 100F for a week or two.

The Island is nice to ride on, and has some good, quiet open roads for test-riding. However, it's mostly criss-crossed by straight roads, with some coastline to enjoy at the end of them (no actual coastal roads though). There are some really terrific roads just over the bridge and down the highway a bit - winding roads and mild hills that run through farm land. Also a couple of cafes here and there in the hills where your sure to meet other bikers who stop for a coffee on a sunny day.

Usually we have to run the gauntlet on the Bass Hwy to get to the good roads. The highway is just about always windy. Some days it has almost blown my open-faced helmet back off my head.

Papa Bear wrote on 01/27/17 at 09:51:03:
I hear that it is hotter than blazes in OZ

I rode around Phillip Island the other day (on Google street view) .. nice ride.  Wink

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #36 - 02/08/17 at 03:17:45

Just adding some photos to this thread to update anyone interested in the progress.

The project is advancing in the right direction. But I'm heading down a path that I think a lot of people end up on (based on my research here on the forum). That is, basically sculpting the foam to suit my butt  Grin

Stage one was to trim the edge off the stock seat.
Stage two was to add temporary foam and experiment with the shape.
Stage three will be to get new foam professionally shaped and fitted, based on my experimenting, and then having the seat recovered.

For what it's worth, I've learned three things:

1. This is a really individual thing. I don't think there will be a 'mod' (like the 'seat-lift mod') that will come out of this to suit everyone.
2. The stock seat pan has some significant limitations, therefore the final result will have some compromise involved.
3. This is a game of millimetres. Small changes make a BIG difference (that's a positive thing given the limitations involved)  Smiley

Having said all that, I have managed to relieve the pressure on the tailbone, and created some wriggle room on the seat. I will be making some minor adjustments and then going to see a professional to finish it off.

Here are some photos of what I've been up to.

I cut a couple of pieces of camping/sleeping mats to shape, and stuck them together to create a thicker layer under the drivers seat:

Seat_Layer_1.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #37 - 02/08/17 at 03:18:53

I placed them on the seat and 'test-sat' then I began shaping the foam by scraping with the carving knife:

Seat_Layer_2.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #38 - 02/08/17 at 03:21:50

I kept testing and shaping. The shaping became more specific. I shaped for the legs on the sides. I also got very specific in the tailbone area. I carved a dip for the tail bone leaving the left and right in that area a little higher. I also carved an incline from back to front of the drivers seat. It's difficult to make out in the photo but this one is the best I could get:

Seat_Layer_3.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #39 - 02/08/17 at 03:23:30

I re-covered it with the original cover. It's a bit deceiving because the cover does not sit down into the dips. If I place my hand (or butt) on the seat, the cover conforms to the shape of the foam:

Seat_Layer_4.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #40 - 02/08/17 at 03:27:07

It's almost there. I need to take a little more of the centre of the driver's seat, and I reckon that will do it. I'm going to road test it for a bit longer before doing more because the underside of the seat pan is starting to look like a used pin cushion due to all the stapling and re-stapling.

As I said, my tailbone is happy. I'm looking forward to getting it done properly.

Now I'm starting to think about options for covering it  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 02/08/17 at 08:04:59

When I did the backhoe and 4 wheeler seats I went to an upholstery shop and bought what they use for outdoor stuff, like boats. Over four years of weather and use and they look new.
It's not even very expensive. I got black.

Taking the seat and letting them cut a panel to cover the top, then sew a skirt to make the sides and tuck under the pan and secure it would probably give you a much better looking result. Once they sew the cover, you can put it on and save a chunk of change.
I used a good staple shooter and contact cement on the four wheeler.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #42 - 02/08/17 at 10:12:13

JOG , All the birds near your place sing cheap cheap cheap cheap !!! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #43 - 02/10/17 at 20:00:24

I've spent my life working to learn to do everything I can do.
Paying for someone else's labor when I'm able is silly.
I bought tools and learned to use them.
I'm sure the dealership will be happy taking your money for the oil changes and valve adjustments.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #44 - 02/11/17 at 22:24:44

Stealerships , parts only , I do most everything myself too !

Just messin with ya

Im actually going to try to make the seat for the tracker , got me some heavy duty vinyl brown with a alligator skin pattern on it

I'm so cheap my a$$ squeaks !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:21:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone got a Corbin seat - Opinions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.