Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Anyone got a Corbin seat - Opinions? (Read 550 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Anyone got a Corbin seat - Opinions?
Reply #15 - 01/07/17 at 01:22:55

Wow! I like that alot!

zipidachimp wrote on 01/07/17 at 00:34:04:

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 01/07/17 at 07:36:53

Wow! I like that alot!

zipidachimp wrote on Today at 02:34:04:
some have tried a bonny seat
http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/triumph_seat.jpg Cool

Smiley

Is taller and looks comfortable  !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #17 - 01/12/17 at 15:00:46

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I've been experimenting with my seating position on the last few rides and reckon I've worked out what changes I need to the seat. I think the Corbin seat is not what I need. I also checked out what the seat mod would be like with the front lifted. I don't reckon that will do it either.

Yesterday I rode an hour and a half to work (I work on different sites all over the place). I happened to have my work shorts on under my riding pants. This provided some surprising cushioning, especially when I pushed myself back a few inches so my tailbone was up on the edge of the pillion seat.

Everything just fell into place! It tilted me slightly forward, the forward controls were just far enough away, my weight was balanced between my backside, and my feet - it was like riding a different bike.

The trip involves about an hour on the highway at 100kmh (62mph). Normally after that trip my arms and hands are tired from hanging on, against the wind in my chest, and my legs are tired from the effort of keeping my feet planted on the pegs (I think that's a weight distribution thing). This time, it was just comfortable all the way, and no fatigue. Although, it was odd sitting perched back on the edge of the pillion seat, but so good it was worth it.

So the solution is just to be able to move a bit further back. I also like being able to move back and forward on the seat to change the position of my legs - further forward for intersections and around traffic, and further back for cruising on the highway.

So, I reckon I need to cut the pillion seat down by about an inch, raise the drivers seat foam as high as is practical, and smooth out the curve between them. That should do it. Very similar to a couple of mods that have been posted in this thread - so I know it can be done  Smiley

Thanks again guys.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Julianne
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/22/17 at 11:20:05

Where you able to make the changes to the seat?  I have a similar issue and going the Corbin route seems risky considering the reviews on their customer service.  Once you have it, they don't want to talk to you anymore if it does not fit properly.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #19 - 01/22/17 at 12:46:02

MMRanch wrote on 01/07/17 at 07:36:53:
Wow! I like that alot!

zipidachimp wrote on Today at 02:34:04:
some have tried a bonny seat
http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/triumph_seat.jpg Cool

Smiley

Is taller and looks comfortable  !

Now, that's the seat I would like.  I am doing my own changes to make the seat more comfortable.  The one in the pic would be perfect!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #20 - 01/22/17 at 19:16:31

Hi Julianne

Hi Julianne,
I've begun experimenting by cutting down the stock seat so that all the experimenting is done before I go to the auto trimmer to get it done properly. I'm doing it in three stages:

Stage 1: cut the seat down then test it.  (This part is done).
Stage 2: pack the seat up again into a new shape. (Will do this soon)
Stage 3: take it all to an auto trimmer and have my new version done in good quality foam, and have it covered with something 'nice'.

I'm going to write up a tech document for the tech section of the forum when it's finished. But I'll post some photos here so you can see how it's coming along  Smiley

Julianne wrote on 01/22/17 at 11:20:05:
Where you able to make the changes to the seat?  I have a similar issue and going the Corbin route seems risky considering the reviews on their customer service.  Once you have it, they don't want to talk to you anymore if it does not fit properly.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #21 - 01/22/17 at 19:32:51

My aim was to simply allow myself to move back in the seat about an inch or so, and to relieve the pressure on my tailbone. So I wanted to smooth out the hump between the driver and pillion seat. To make a smooth transition, I took a layer off the pillion seat too.

My plan is to add that layer back on with a new single piece of foam that extends the full length of the seat, including over the new contour in the middle. This will have the effect of lifting the driver's seat a little too, because I did not remove anything from that. I think that would be a good thing.

This is the foam marked up ready to cut:

Seat_1.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #22 - 01/22/17 at 19:35:51

This is it with the piece removed. I just used a serrated bread knife. You can see it looks a bit rough at first. And I cut a little deep just at the back of the driver's seat. I could maybe have done it little by little but wanted the option to stick it back on again if I messed it up  Wink

Seat_3.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #23 - 01/22/17 at 19:37:37

It's possible to tidy it up by laying the knife flat on it's side and gently moving it back and forth using the serrated edge to kind of scrape off the ridges. This is as good as I could get it:

Seat_2.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #24 - 01/22/17 at 19:41:25

There are some significant limits to how much you can cut off because of the shape of the seat pan, which accommodates the rectifier and the wiring under the seat. I'm trying to achieve this without moving all that stuff ... if possible. So, at this stage of the project the pillion seat is pretty much unusable. However, the ridge at the back of the drivers seat is now far enough back to give the tailbone relief. But, if you push back onto that ridge, there is almost no foam there either, so it's pretty hard.

This shows how thin the foam is back there:

Seat_5.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #25 - 01/22/17 at 19:44:23

This is it reinstalled. I think it looks good, at this stage, and it is a big improvement on the stock seat. My tailbone doesn't get sore when I ride and I can move back a little so I can lean forward into the wind when I get up to around 100 kph. Even with my tailbone back against the hard ridge it is still more comfortable than it was originally  Smiley

Seat_6.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #26 - 01/22/17 at 19:44:56

Here's another angle:

Seat_4.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #27 - 01/22/17 at 19:58:31

I reckon it still needs some work though. I would like to reinstate the pillion seat to 'usable' status, and to lift the drivers seat a little, and even a little more at the front.

The red area on this photo is what I have in mind.

I have a couple of those cheap foam (rubber?) mats that you put on the ground under your sleeping bag. They're about half the thickness of what I removed from the pillion. So I'll cut those to size and experiment with multiple layers in different spots to mock something up. Then I'll recover it again and test ride it again. It should be quite ride-able when I'm done, but ultimately I'll use it all as a kind of template for the auto-trimmer guy to work from.

Seat_with_new_layer.jpg

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #28 - 01/22/17 at 21:05:52

Island Road,

I am interested in any success that you have in reducing pressure on the tailbone. My tailbone is now about 95% healed and makes for much more enjoyable riding.

I had no success in softening the seat without moving the rectifier and cutting away the seat pan. I can certainly understand why most owners are reluctant to move the rectifier.

I have the drag bars with with the risers cut down to 2" and that did change the seating position. I am now considering going with Euro Bars or 1" Super Bars to further alter the seating position. I would also like to have a little more space on the handlebars for gadgets, such as a cup holder. My GPS uses up the little bit of space that is available on the Suzuki drag bars.

Good Luck with your project.

Kenny G

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #29 - 01/22/17 at 22:42:11

Thanks Kenny,

I noticed your post earlier about cutting the space out of the seat pan. I haven't ruled out moving the rectifier either, but will avoid that if I can  Smiley

I've also thought about lower risers for the handlebarsto to tilt me forward a little more. I find that is generally a little more comfortable.

As for gadgets, I have a Ryca mini tach arriving from the States tomorrow (I just received the email to say it is in Australia now). I plan to mount it under the handlebars, because I think it will stick up too much on top of the current setup. There's a tutorial on the forum to mount it underneath. I already have most of the bits and pieces to do it. If, later on, I go with lower risers, I'll relocate the tach to the top of the handlebars.

It's all good fun  Grin

I'll keep this thread posted with updates.

Kenny G wrote on 01/22/17 at 21:05:52:
Island Road,

I am interested in any success that you have in reducing pressure on the tailbone. My tailbone is now about 95% healed and makes for much more enjoyable riding.

I had no success in softening the seat without moving the rectifier and cutting away the seat pan. I can certainly understand why most owners are reluctant to move the rectifier.

I have the drag bars with with the risers cut down to 2" and that did change the seating position. I am now considering going with Euro Bars or 1" Super Bars to further alter the seating position. I would also like to have a little more space on the handlebars for gadgets, such as a cup holder. My GPS uses up the little bit of space that is available on the Suzuki drag bars.

Good Luck with your project.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:24:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone got a Corbin seat - Opinions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.